Oregon Crusaders to World Class

Now, regarding Oregon Crusaders. Two years of placing among World Class corps should be an indication World Class is a better fit than Open Class. World Class seems to be working for former Open Class corps such as Pacific Crest, the Academy, an Jersey Surf and it should work for Oregon Crusaders as well. Of course this also depends on how many age outs there were and how many members are returning. If next year is a rebuilding year, perhaps they should stay in open Class but I think they're ready to compete with the "big boys."

If this were WGI where class was solely dictated by competitive success, I'd agree. But in DCI now-a-days class seems to be based almost solely on financial solvency. Obviously there are WC corps who haven't been really competitive in WC for several years, but they stay in WC because they are financially able to commit to the tour. Conversely, Blue Devils B and SCV C are much more competitive consistently than a few WC corps, but they stay in Open Class because of financial reasons.

• Like 1

No. Actually, if what I heard is true, it's not G7 corps pushing for it, and it can be better for all corps.

I'm assuming this relates to garfield's prognosticating post of a few weeks back? If the change leads to healthier corps (and more corps), bring it on. I just hope they know what they're doing.

no. actually if what I heard is true, it's not G7 corps pushing for it, and it can be better for all corps

well, if it can be better off for all, then I support it.

But we've lost a number of corps over the last decade that tried to hack it in div 1 / world class and [perhaps as a result] are no longer with us.

So, would BDB compete against BD? Vanguard Cadets vs SCV? And what about the smaller Open Class corps? It seems like they would just get left further behind the pack.

Edited by BariDude

I know corps like Academy, Pacific Crest, Mandarins, and Jersey Surf have taken limited tours, and done fine. But in some years, they have done it with a lot of criticisms.

And some unfair ones at that. "Full tour", by the DCI definition, means joining the tour by San Antonio. The Mandarins have done that in every one of their 10 seasons in world-class.

• Like 1

And some unfair ones at that. "Full tour", by the DCI definition, means joining the tour by San Antonio. The Mandarins have done that in every one of their 10 seasons in world-class.

And I'm sure Mandarins can choose to tour as much or little as they want to (as PC, Academy, etc do). It's not a matter of being "unfair," it's a matter of the director choosing a tour based on what they think is best for their organization. Mandarins apparently feel it is best for them to be in front of as many judges/competitors as possible throughout the season, while PC & Academy choose a more conservative route. Either decision is fair, and so far seems to be working out for the best for all involved

• Like 1

So, would BDB compete against BD? Vanguard Cadets vs SCV? And what about the smaller Open Class corps? It seems like they would just get left further behind the pack.

Yes and no: BDB are no where near competitive with BDA historically (same with SCVC and SCV). This isn't really any different than current Prelims/Semifinals competition where BDB, SCVC, and other Open Class corps compete against their World Class counterparts.

As far as getting "left further behind the pack," that's kind of a possibility I guess. BDB, I suspect, will not be any less competitive as they have been; I wouldn't be surprised if they are more competitive seeing WC corps more than twice a year.

• Like 1

And I'm sure Mandarins can choose to tour as much or little as they want to (as PC, Academy, etc do). It's not a matter of being "unfair," it's a matter of the director choosing a tour based on what they think is best for their organization. Mandarins apparently feel it is best for them to be in front of as many judges/competitors as possible throughout the season, while PC & Academy choose a more conservative route. Either decision is fair, and so far seems to be working out for the best for all involved

I am rarely in the position of defending audiodb ( :tongue: ), but I think he was referring to this by his unfair comment:

But in some years, they have done it with a lot of criticisms.

IMO every corps should do whatever amount of touring they are able to support as an organization, and nobody should criticize them for any choice their corps admin makes.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

and for all fans. Instead of segregating great corps into smaller divisions (who are clearly able to hold their own against WC corps), and confining them to smaller stadiums and smaller audiences, why not combine them? All of the corps could get paid for performing shows, there will be more corps at DCI shows, and corps w/out the financial means can obviously just tour regionally until Finals week anyway.

As the amount of corps dissipate, and the talent level and sizes between Open and World class blur, why keep separate corps?

well, I can tell you what 7 corps think

:devil: