Juliet or Turandot?

86 members have voted

1. 1. What Phantom show was better in your opinion?

• 2011 -- Juliet
    • 2012 -- Turandot

The "two rungs on the ladder" comment is interesting.

I'd suggest that if you put 2011's design in 2012 (that is, all design elements the same as 2011, but with 2012's talent, performance level, cleaniness), I don't think PR beats Cadets.

I think what you're saying is Juliet lacked the demand required to accumulate the points required for third in 2011. I don't know where it should fall on the demand/execution scale. I do know it's another great example of how what the average fan considers GE isn't what judges are judging.

HH

Phantom owned the story of "Juliet." What other artistic venue has told the story from Juliet's perspective? They could and did what they wanted to with the story and the fact that their all-female guard not only raised the bar with Phantom, but also with an increasingly co-ed activity, speaks volumes. The addition of Jamey Thompson back into the fold meant that visually, all white uniforms would have the required field exposure. Pre-season predictions were way below how they performed.

I also remember a lot of complaints during the season:

- Too many ballads.

- Visual is far too easy.

- "A Time For Us" was too kitsch.

Turandot was a story that was already defined by the Opera. The only reference to it was "Nessun Dorma" which was performed in an almost burlesque Opera production from Phantom 1991.

Pre-season predictions were way below how they performed as well as J.D. Shaw was no longer with Phantom as brass arranger.

Yet Phantom suprised everyone by coming out with a program that was one of their cleanest they have ever started a season with since the '80s. On top of all the predictions that they would plateau before the season ended, they didn't.

The majority of complaints from '12 was that the show didn't hit people emotionally. People also complained that visually it was too easy.

I can't pick one against the other. Each has strengths.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 2

Turandot. Juliet was great, but the guard didn't capture me the same way, and the hornline sounded better in 2012.

Ditto - I liked both shows but Turandot was better in my opinion.

• Like 1

A friend of mine asked me this yesterday, and I thought it would be an interesting topic to bring here.

In 2011, Phantom Regiment brought the house down with their production of Juliet, placing 5th at Finals. This past season, Turandot took them even higher, finishing 3rd. The question is, which show do you enjoy more? This could be based on musical selection, interpretation, colorguard, percussion, WHATEVER.

Let's hear some thoughts

Juliet by far, but I appreciate their 2012 accomplishment. I just enjoyed the arrangements in 2011 more.

Music choice... 2011.

Overall package 2012 by a long way.

2013 will be an interesting year for them

agree all the way

Music choice... 2011.

Overall package 2012 by a long way.

2013 will be an interesting year for them

Definitely...it'll really depend on the theme. I'm not worried about the designers' abilities or the kids' performance. The theme will have to be something challenging, engaging, and has the ability to be cleaned/achieved.

Interesting that someone started this topic since I just downloaded turandot. I agree with most....visually I preferred 2012, but musically, Definitly Juliet. To be completely honest, I was kinda let down by the arrangement of nessun dorma. To me it never connected and lacked the emotion/climax it could of achieved. Going into the season, it was a moment I was most excited for, so I was sadly disappointed. In fact I'm not really sure how they scored higher then the cadets, musically.

• Like 1

I loved both, but prefer Turandot slightly more. The visual design was just masterful, and I loved Don Hill's arranging.

• Like 1

Juliet by a country mile.