Renegades to Europe in 2013

When and if Renegades return, they would be wise to do so with a bit more humility, and a whole lot less "chaos" and "evil". I think they finally ran that shtick into the ground once and for all.

If they return to DCA minus the "chaos and evil" attitude, I'll remove them from my signature. That was the draw for a lot of us that joined.

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1

Renegades did not meet the requirements this year and are not a member corps.

Thanks. So would it be correct to say that suspending Renegades was DCA's only way of penalizing them?

I do not think its any big secret as its been posted on DCP several times and in other social network media that Renegades have been looking at other avenues to compete at other than DCA. DCA has not been a perfect fit for the Renegades due to logistics.

Did they get themselves suspended deliberately, to put themselves in a situation where they had to move into such other avenues?

Since when has the moderation here been good?

If you have an issue with the moderation on this site, it should be taken up with JohnZ, JohnD, or Bawker.

• Like 1

If they return to DCA minus the "chaos and evil", I'll remove them from my signature. That was the draw for a lot of us that joined.

Could someone explain in a few sentences how they embody those aspects?* I enjoyed Renegades' performance at finals very much, which was the first DCA show I've ever seen, and they didn't seem notably more disorganized or unpleasant than other corps that evening.

(*There's a lot in these discussions that is mystifying to the novice! Apparently "Crunchy Frog" is/was a real mini-corps or ensemble? That placed 13th in 2004 with a score of 13? Perhaps by going over time, or having too many performers? And yet when people early this season said that Blue Devils ought to embrace their "dada" theme by flouting the rules, I can't recall that anyone mentioned Crunchy Frog. Oh, for a properly encyclopedic drum corps reference book or website!)

Well, that's what I'd like to know: is there in fact anything less than suspension that DCA could have done to penalize Renegades?

From comments made in DCP's Finals thread, I gather that Renegades already don't have voting rights, because that requires both that a corps have one of the top ten scores and that they have participated in some DCA-sanctioned event before championships. So DCA couldn't take that away.

I assume that "share points" are a percentage of the championship revenue -- do the Renegades in fact get that? If so, could DCA have prevented them from getting their take for this year, or had it already been distributed? If the latter were true, would DCA telling Renegades that they would get no take from next year's earnings have been a lesser penalty than suspension?

If we were talking about an Eastern corps, I suppose DCA could have penalized them by limiting the number of DCA-sanctioned shows they were allowed to participate in next year, but that would be a punishment carrying no weight for Renegades.

So again: what options were available to DCA?

well i'm not sure. I do know in 95, at retreat, we in Westshore were a little exuberant in our celebration of high percussion and 2nd place, and we stormed the sideline to set up and play Blues......and oops, we forgot Empire had to go off before us.

Mickey wasn't please, and he threatened fines if we did it again after Empire tropped/saluted Cabs.

So, we did it again, and we were find. I think Jerry paid him cash on the spot

If they return to DCA minus the "chaos and evil" attitude, I'll remove them from my signature. That was the draw for a lot of us that joined.

there's chaos and evil, then there's overkill. I think that line is one they crossed in addition to the one at finals in 04.

add in the Crunchy stuff, and it turned people off, and as the on field product ceased being to 03-05 levels, to many people it got old.

• Like 2

If you have an issue with the moderation on this site, it should be taken up with JohnZ, JohnD, or Bawker.

you do realize who you were talking to right?

:devil:

• Like 1

there's chaos and evil, then there's overkill. I think that line is one they crossed in addition to the one at finals in 04.

add in the Crunchy stuff, and it turned people off, and as the on field product ceased being to 03-05 levels, to many people it got old.

That line was crossed in '03, not in '04. :cool:

I'm going to post one more thing and then absolve myself of this topic for good.

What I feel is the important nugget here that everyone has been alluding to, is that despite the core issue of what happened at DCA, the response from the Renegades has been difficult to swallow. All the community needed was a sincere and humble apology, and a dedication from the corps that they would work on changing the environment that allowed this to occur.

That's all.

Instead we got anger, misdirection, finger pointing, and attacks of the merits of DCA policy.

The fact is that the environment that the corps administration has created over the last 10 years cultivated the actions of the few people that are responsible for this. They even looked the other way when situations arose that foreshadowed this. Despite the clamoring of the majority of members and staff for a change of policy and image, a select few allowed the status quo to continue in the name of "corps identity." When everything is considered over the course of the decade, this decision by DCA was fair and appropriate.

So Moving Forward...I'd love to see the corps rebound from this, take responsibility, and return stronger than ever. However for this to happen, serious thought needs to be put into how the Renegades can change their image, their culture, and how they can be a better peer to the other organizations within the activity.

Oh my God...I love you and want to marry you!

• Like 4

For the record, I have never marched with the Renegades or had anything to do with the organization. I do however, know many people who have been or are currently Renegades. I find this situation rather stinks. The Renegades were suspended without any charges being filed publically or the process involved in determining the corrective action being explained. Speculation has been rampant, from sexual orgies involving underage animals (maybe that’s how the frog got crunchy) to alcohol fueled arsonists trying to burn down the Naval Academy. Maybe the reason the Renegades haven’t issued a formal apology is because they feel the issue was mishandled and the final decision was soaked in hypocrisy. Watch out! I have a feeling that the creative forces behind the Renegade conquest of Europe may formulate a creative template that will be used by all drum corps in the future!!!

• Like 3