Dear DCA Board

Anthoney-

1: I never connected the child abuse issue to your corps. that would be a very wild stretch to make. The issues are very different. The HANDLING of the crisis and managament of said crisis, however, was as poor as PSU's. Very, very bungled and very poor. I'll gladly and politely clarify that.

2: You and I are about the same age- I know had someone in my corps did something like this- some of us old guys would have "rolled up our sleeves" and dealt with it. There was an underlying message that if the stupidity went TOO far, you'd get 'dealt' with. It came close once at the Canadian border with one of our baris- he behaved, we got through the border crossing quickly. 6-7 of us on that bus pretty much made sure he would.

3: When you come out and make a public statement like Lee did- the lack of transparency, frankness, and lack of contrition, again, indicates a lack of understanding of PR, how it works, and effective crisis managament. In fact- maybe he should aplogize to you guys for what he did regardless of whether any apology is issued to anyone else. I somehow doubt that will happen.

• Like 2

Harry-

Don't get taken in by the statement that personal items were taken. Allow me to explain- if this happened, and I am not questioning the veracity of it- fine. You contact the hotel management, and if satisfaction isn't gained, then the police.

As it currently sits, it's a red herring that's been thrown out there to excuse the hotel damage and behavior, truth or not. The alleged theft still doesn't excuse that kind of behavior. When I had my items stolen from my apartment by the building handyman- had I wrecked his apartment in retaliation or punched his lights out, I'd have also ended up in jail.

Again, more poor crisis management and massively bungled handling of a bad situation. Had they NOT brought this up, you and I would not be discussing it. Point the finger where it should be pointed for the incompetence, not DCP.

• Like 7

Harry-

Don't get taken in by the statement that personal items were taken. Allow me to explain- if this happened, and I am not questioning the veracity of it- fine. You contact the hotel management, and if satisfaction isn't gained, then the police.

As it currently sits, it's a red herring that's been thrown out there to excuse the hotel damage and behavior, truth or not. The alleged theft still doesn't excuse that kind of behavior. When I had my items stolen from my apartment by the building handyman- had I wrecked his apartment in retaliation or punched his lights out, I'd have also ended up in jail.

Again, more poor crisis management and massively bungled handling of a bad situation. Had they NOT brought this up, you and I would not be discussing it. Point the finger where it should be pointed for the incompetence, not DCP.

Not for nothing but right after DCA finals I recall various members of the Renegades posting on DCP about problems with the Hotel and stuff being stolen from their hotel rooms. This was just days after long before this fiasco so I suspect that story is true.

I suspect someone that is better at search engines than me can find that information.

• Like 1

Not for nothing but right after DCA finals I recall various members of the Renegades posting on DCP about problems with the Hotel and stuff being stolen from their hotel rooms. This was just days after long before this fiasco so I suspect that story is true.

I suspect someone that is better at search engines than me can find that information.

If it happened, and again, I don't even question that, does it justify the end behavior?

The answer is no.

Don't get taken in by the herring, man.

• Like 1

Except for the fact that DCA's history is rich with examples of exactly that...

Which I thought is the reputation DCA is trying to get away from.

God knows I never want to hear about 70s fist fights and 60s "green haze" coming out of buses ever again....

s/ guy who sold a contra bought at a Antique Mart that was later determined to be stolen.... :doh:

In the context of the conversation it was an ex DCI member using this situation as a reason he was hesitant to march in ANY DCA corps making the assumption that ALL DCA corps behave in this manner.

Which, again, has been the stigma DCA has had to deal with since time immemorial. I know that's how we views DCA when I was marching DCI in the 80's. I distinctly remember walking past DCA corps in brass warm ups who were drinking beer between exercises. Not going to mention which corps, but it was a common sight at junior/senior shows.

Yes, it's many years later, and yes, DCA has come a long way, but incidents like the current one with Renegades do nothing to combat that image.

• Like 1

Which, again, has been the stigma DCA has had to deal with since time immemorial. I know that's how we views DCA when I was marching DCI in the 80's. I distinctly remember walking past DCA corps in brass warm ups who were drinking beer between exercises. Not going to mention which corps, but it was a common sight at junior/senior shows.

Yes, it's many years later, and yes, DCA has come a long way, but incidents like the current one with Renegades do nothing to combat that image.

Actually.. based on the current turn of events Renegades made their bed. Corps like Bucs,Cabs and MBI who lived through those years have a pretty decent reputation in that area. You see very little if any drama coming from either of them. I know all corps have internal matters just as any professional sports teams do. But its how their dealt with that defines the reputation of the organization.

I'm a strong proponent that a corps reputation is merited on their own actions not that of their competitors. And if someone looking to march is hesitant to march anywhere because of the actions of a single organization is foolish. But its their loss if they don't go and see for themselves.

Edited by lovindrumcorps
  • Like 2

Hey moderators, can this thread go away? It is serving absolutly no useful purpose at this point. I think everyone has had their say. Let's put this one to bed please.

How are those winter recruiting plans going for everyone!? :) :) :)

Dan

it serves a lot of purpose. burying ones head in the sand does no good!

Edited by Jeff Ream

I did concede to that a few pages back. It was said that it would be a misguided assumption to collectively associate ALL corps with the actions of one corps.

your misguided is someone else's good ole common sense.