Dear DCA Board

What does this have to do with ONE corps misdoing representing the reputations of every other corps? Your missing the point. Kickhalt is saying he's hesitant of marching ANY DCA corps because its assumed that if one corps misbehaves.. they ALL do. I get that all organizations have their skeletons but their reputations speaks for themselves.

Some people DO look at the misbehaving of one corps and think all corps might act like that. Or at least if one acts like that, others might act like that so why take a chance joining or having my kid join. I disagree with it but it does go on. IMO, that is the point kicks is making but he can correct me.

And you're speaking of the past behavior of "Sr" drum corps opposed to all aged family based organizations. Im sure if you spent any time around a current all aged corps you'll find much more harsher rules about under aged drinking. The liability is way to great for these corps turn a bland eye.

Let me get this straight. You don't like people judging all DCA corps by this actions of a few but then you did the same thing in this paragraph. We had people from other corps join us and the rules on drinking for over 21s varied from corps to corps. As for underage drinking in the 70s yes the laws had lighter penalties. But the corps could still be sued for having minors in a hazardous situation or allowing them to drink or have underage sex while with the corps. I know this was THE big fear when the corps had to re-org with 50%+ minors as I rode with 2 BoD members. Rules was when I joined was: if we catch you, hear you did it or even think you did it.. you're out and doesn't matter if it's 5 minutes before a show".

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Some people DO look at the misbehaving of one corps and think all corps might act like that. Or at least if one acts like that, others might act like that so why take a chance joining or having my kid join. I disagree with it but it does go on. IMO, that is the point kicks is making but he can correct me.

Let me get this straight. You don't like people judging all DCA corps by this actions of a few but then you did the same thing in this paragraph. We had people from other corps join us and the rules on drinking for over 21s varied from corps to corps. As for underage drinking in the 70s yes the laws had lighter penalties. But the corps could still be sued for having minors in a hazardous situation or allowing them to drink or have underage sex while with the corps. I know this was THE big fear when the corps had to re-org with 50%+ minors as I rode with 2 BoD members. Rules was when I joined was: if we catch you, hear you did it or even think you did it.. you're out and doesn't matter if it's 5 minutes before a show".

In the light of DCA making Renegades accoutable for their actions and their actions potentially effecting ALL corps in Annapolis I will concede. And Id also concede that if misinformed person looking from the outside in can "assume" that if it happens at any one corps it happens at all of them.. but any assumption is unfair especially to assess without first experiencing all corps operations for them. With that mentality than I would assume all DCI corps were run like Teal Sound. But more level heads would prevail to assume anything.

Its just a shame that the Renegades encourage and revel in their negative persona on all public forums. Their actions do speak for themselves.

• Like 3

OK we're on the same page then... and great point about Teal Sound.. how many times have we read about people not donating money or time because of <insert horror story here>.

Yes not fair to everyone else.......

Edited by JimF-LowBari

If you're concerned about a given corps reputation, go and find out for yourself by visiting and asking the hard questions and seeing what the answers are instead of painting every DCA unit with a broad brush. From my personal experience in the wild and wooly days, if you wanted to mind your business and not do the stupid stuff, that was fine. I found that kicking back and watching it go down was entertainment enough without having to participate. From what I saw and heard BITD about DCI, I could also paint with the same brush and make some pretty unfair comments aboou DCI as a whole as well about some of it as well.

As for the puppies, from what I know of the incident from my sources- Puppy punting and kitten kicking (note my talented use of alliteration :tongue: ) would be mild as to what went down to cause this.

Personally, if what I was told happened was true, even if I diminished the number bandied about by an order of magnitude, (A factor of 10 for those in Rio Linda) I'd have punted the corps out the door for good like one of Mike's aerodynamically streamlined pups through the goalposts.

As for this open letter.... It's about as competent as Karl Rominger's and Joe Amendola's attempts to defend Jerry Sandusky out this way. It looks bad and smells bad, period. It sounds like the "Hey! Come on! Jerry's a nice guy and he didn't do anything wrong!" lines we still hear them droning even as he's been sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

Wrong way to think of this. No matter details of what happened. Bad things have happened for years. You can not blame EVERYONE in a Organization of Corps.

" Kickhalt is saying he's hesitant of marching ANY DCA corps because its assumed that if one corps misbehaves.. they ALL do. "

I know back in the late '60's. A Corps traveled about 1000 miles to a Nationals. They ended up doing thousands of dollars damage to a hotel. The Hotel sent a bill to the sponsoring org. So the org paid the bill. Then met with the entire Corps and told them. (THE MEMBERS). Come up with the money to pay the sponsor back, OR. 'They would sell ALL the Corps equipment to get the money back." The Equipment was SOLD and the Corps was No More. This was in JUNIOR CORPS. No one said "All Jr Corps were bad. No one said Every Corps in their Circuit was bad. No one said every Corps in their city/area was bad. No one even said everybody in that Corps was bad.

So things have happened for Many years, and ways to solve the problem are varied. But, Blaiming ALL "SR" or "All Age" is dumb.

• Like 1

My story of how the actions of the few ruin it for the many.

So in 2007 a week before we are to board the bus for championships the corps is told we are not allowed to have beer or booze on the bus because we would have to pay a $500 cleaning fee. I go to the bus company and find out that is a lie. So I go to the corps administration and say what the heck is going on here. They tell me since they had a issue with a couple of the members getting bombed the year before and a couple of minors stealing beer from the adults they decided to ban it.

Well 1st off all why not man up to it and say that is why you are banning it?? Then why wait and lie to everyone the last hour that they can't have booze on the bus because of the action of a few idiots? Had you told me sooner in the season you were going to do this I could have made other travel arrangement's and possibly would have returned the next season. I don't like being lied too.

Idiotic behavior of a few ruins it for the many that are just trying to have a good time.

I'm still blown away at no apology by the organization. Says a lot. All the joy they've brought to audiences and POOF. Gone.

• Like 4

I'm talking about drop-kicking specially-bred puppies that fly straight. They've been trained to use their ears as rudders.

PS: I don't think everyone has read the works of Jonathan Swift.

Mr Boo,The Swift family meat packing company has taken exception to your inference that our company tenderizes our puppies by drop kicking them thru goalposts.

I can assure you that only the most humane methods are used in the process and tenderization of all our dogs.

Mr Boo,The Swift family meat packing company has taken exception to your inference that our company tenderizes our puppies by drop kicking them thru goalposts.

I can assure you that only the most humane methods are used in the process and tenderization of all our dogs.

You forgot to remind everyone how said dogs have also become such an important staple at Chinese Buffets across the fruited plain. :tongue:

Ed, the proper reaciton from corps management with the couple of individuals who ended up bombed was to tell them they were no longer welcome to come back. This was also done at Westshore to a couple of the notorious individuals in thaht vein.

Lying by management does no one any good. If they lied about that- what else are they lying about to everyone? Trust is lost.

• Like 1