Dear DCA Board

Second, please note -- I am not defending rock star-like behavior by anyone. Maybe it has no place in DCA for good. But the official policy of kicking an entire corps out based upon the actions of a few members is misguided and wrong, my friends. It hurts drum corps and should be reversed.

"rock-star like" behavior? That's what kicked the corps out?

Classy.

Aren't we all taught during our time in corps that our behavior represents drum corps?

What is the definition of "rock star-like behavior"?

Edited by TrainWreck
  • Like 3

"rock-star like" behavior? That's what kicked the corps out?

Classy.

Aren't we all taught during our time in corps that our behavior represents drum corps?

I seem to recall a rather stern email from a long-time, high-level Renegade who said much the same to me after I said something (which I don't recall) on this board in 03 or 04 when I was Dream's DM....funny how that seems to be forgotten when it's someone at 'Gades who might be the issue.

What is the definition of "rock star-like behavior"?

Trashing the hotel room comes to mind as the obvious answer.

And yes, Lee....the whole corps DOES get punished for the actions of a few....ask 75 Muchachos, 77 Bridgemen, or hell...ANY drum corps that's done damage to a rehearsal/housing site and has not been allowed back...and that ban extended to ALL drum corps. Happened back in our day (somewhere in the midwest for BD in 84...can't recall where, tho....I remember finding out after we'd already departed for the next tour stop. Rob?), happens currently.

Frankly, the letter comes off as trying to shift blame or otherwise minimize the effects of whatever happened. If I was a juror and heard this from someone convicted of a crime during the penalty phase, it would NOT influence me to recommend a lighter sentence.

If you want some understanding from the board, don't hide what happened behind clever words....say it straight out "here's what happened....here's the damages."

Own up to it, otherwise your rep personally and the cops as a whole is shot to hell....it may already be too late.

• Like 4

If you want some understanding from the board, don't hide what happened behind clever words....say it straight out "here's what happened....here's the damages."

One advantage of that is what really happened, whatever it was, is quite possibly not as bad as what some have conjured up in their imaginations.

One such scenario in my mind involves the corps drop-kicking puppies across the Annapolis stadium goal posts, just to see how far they could fly.

The reality can't be as bad as that.

• Like 1

Second, please note -- I am not defending rock star-like behavior by anyone. Maybe it has no place in DCA for good. But the official policy of kicking an entire corps out based upon the actions of a few members is misguided and wrong, my friends. It hurts drum corps and should be reversed.

A Corps is just that, a Corps. They are a single entity with an identity. Each and every member is charged with perpetuating and protecting that identity AND self-policing other members who do not live up to that identity or endanger the Corps in any way. If corps members did nothing to stop whatever happened, or to take actions to correct what had been done, than they also are in the wrong. If the Renegades want to be the "Evil Drum Corps" or the resident "Rock Stars" then the old addage "Live by the sword, Die by the sword" applies.

• Like 6

One advantage of that is what really happened, whatever it was, is quite possibly not as bad as what some have conjured up in their imaginations.

One such scenario in my mind involves the corps drop-kicking puppies across the Annapolis stadium goal posts, just to see how far they could fly.

The reality can't be as bad as that.

Drop-kicking puppies across a stadium goal post does not work; they tend to veer to the right or left; they go wide one way or the other. Now a kitten is quite different; they "right" themselves during flight and go smack dab down the center of the goal posts. :w00t:

• Like 5

Drop-kicking puppies across a stadium goal post does not work; they tend to veer to the right or left; they go wide one way or the other. Now a kitten is quite different; they "right" themselves during flight and go smack dab down the center of the goal posts. :w00t:

Im sure dwarf tossing would offend someone. :tongue: