Cold War Music

I have a question to pose to all of you as I just got slammed on my provincial masters thesis. My history professor for our thesis class did not see the relevance in the following subject, The Eisenhower administration's use of music to buttress domestic Americanism. Just looking to see what the general opinion here is of why this is an important topic to research and know about.

I have a question to pose to all of you as I just got slammed on my provincial masters thesis. My history professor for our thesis class did not see the relevance in the following subject, The Eisenhower administration's use of music to buttress domestic Americanism. Just looking to see what the general opinion here is of why this is an important topic to research and know about.

As a history buff plus music lover well.... it's interesting to me.

Have a DVD copy of "The Atomic Cafe" with some examples of songs relating to the Atom Bomb which IIRC are Truman era.

I have a degree in History and Government and a very good recollection of life during the Eisenhower administration.

If you have any actual direct evidence of the executive branch using music in an attempt to manipulate public opinion this certainly could be a suitable thesis topic. McCarthyism was still a factor during Ike's early administration, and "god-less communism" a pariah. (I recall how ecstatic the good Dominican Sisters of Sacred Heart School were when "under God" was inserted into the Pledge of Allegiance as a direct response to those atheistic Russians.)

There was plenty of patriotic music left over from the two world wars and it was certainly ubiquitous in drum corps. But on the popular commercial scene those commie lefty folk singers and hoodlum rock and rollers were starting to push Perry Como out of the way. Then that Little Rock thing happened and Ike got pretty busy.

Did he have time to influence the playlist on "The Make-Believe Ballroom" or "Your Hit Parade"? Have you got any specifics? If so, I'm on your side.

There was plenty of patriotic music left over from the two world wars and it was certainly ubiquitous in drum corps. But on the popular commercial scene those commie lefty folk singers and hoodlum rock and rollers were starting to push Perry Como out of the way. Then that Little Rock thing happened and Ike got pretty busy.

Which reminds me that the Korean War didn't generate any well known songs like the two World Wars did. No idea why or why I even brought it up but those guys (including my dad) kinda got the shorted......

not to mention the 'nam

... the Viet Nam era is probably known more for its anti-war & protest songs than anything pro ...

Edited by ajlisko

I am genuinely interested in the original poster's thesis topic:

"The Eisenhower administration's use of music..."

Can you elaborate a bit? Naturally, you don't want to provide someone else with a made-to-order precis given the competitive nature of academic research, but this subject piqued my interest, and I hereby relinquish any claims to the fruits of your above-mentioned project.

As a college instructor, I am sometimes asked to evaluate both Masters and Doctoral theses, and would be more than willing to do so in this case should it be helpful. Feel free to PM me.

Frank

... the Viet Nam era is probably known more for its anti-war & protest songs than anything pro ...

"Viet Nam Era".....

Indeed..... "Blowin In the Wind", "Puff the Magic Dragon"... "We Gotta Get Outta This Place"...

And (For us VN survivors):

"Leavin On a Jet Plane".... just waiting for the "Freedom Bird" to go "Wheels Up".....

And the pilot's voice letting us know we have "Cleared RVN air Space"...

Let the cheering begin.......

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

SSgt. Barry Sadler's 1966 release "Ballad of The Green Berets"/"The A Team" comes to mind as an exception to that rule.

peace,

Fred O.

That's what I was thinking too but hoping for a response to ironlips last post. IIRC, (OK if I was told correctedly) Ike had one of the all time great campaign tunes with "I Like Ike" even with a line something like "if Harry won't be willing". This was written just for the campaign and beats' Trumans team using "I'm Just Wild About Harry" which was a decades olds song (Eubie Blake?) lying aroud. And everytime there is a special of campaigns on TV there is a mention of Ikes spot where a "regular citizen" asks a question and Eisenhower (by himself but head tilted like he's talking to the citizen) answers. Ahead of the time for 1952 so who knows....

Hmmm time to check my DVD set of 1,000(?) Old Commercials (thank you Cracker Barrel).

Edited by JimF-LowBari