So Lighting is the "Next Step" for DC?

Leveling the playing field seems to be buzzworthy

Yes, that and the word " malarkey "

I used them twice with the band I teach...94 and around 2000 or so. It got tough to even find the darn flash cubes around my area.

That flashcube 'trick' was a stable of vis effect when I was in high school in the early 90's (fall 90-93). We had a big band, and it was a pretty cool effect from what I could tell from crowd reaction. Playing percussion, we never used them, but the wind players seemed to mostly have fun, having contests with each other to see how many flashcubes they can shoot off in the allotted time. My HS stopped doing it as well in the late 90's, early 00's because it became very difficult to find flashcubes.

Maybe the "future" with that type of effect would be using cell phone lighting effects or something

Way to shoot the messenger. And I believe G7 addresses your last concern.

And by the way, see my first post. All I did was point out the same facts that were used to justify the last round of changes. Didn't say anything else so look for someone else to blame for peeing on your cheerios.

I apologize; while I replied specifically to your post, I didn't mean to come after you specifically, more the similar sentiments that were in your post and others.

• Like 1

Not to worry. "Corps will have the option to use them, but won't be required to do so."

Or whatever malarky was said when A&E and the other toys were allowed in.

:worthy:

The last integration (Electronics) has a way to go before introducing something else.

Can we just not work on finding balance with the latest and greatest before moving to lighting?

but innovation man! we must continue to change and add...I mean, think of all the kids out there willing to pay $3k just flip a switch...well, until we propose a rule to have said switched flipped from the press box

(sarcasm off)

• Like 1

For as much as we know, it may not have cost them much at all if the supplies for the panels came from some business a band parent perhaps owns. If a corps wished to spend money on this sort of thing instead of funding the buses from point A to point B, or paying instructors, or replacing uniforms that are falling apart...well...I guess that's their prerogative.

I have not seen the show in question and will look for it on YouTube. Having said that, I can't imagine something this "up front" and glaring not being distracting.

But I've been wrong before.

Now, if they could be programmed to send undetectable subliminal messages to the judges, the expense might pay for itself. :peek:

Flash: "Next corps - get a hotdog. Next corps - get a hotdog."

The whole discussion about performance times and lights only being useful after dark is moot. All eight corps go on after dark now. What's the problem?

Just refilled my scotch and thought about this a little more. Turn off the stadium lights all together. Lite the field with stanchion lights powered by small, enclosed Honda generators. Roll the stanchions all over the field like a portable basketball hoop. Place them like street lights strategically on the field "stage" and control their color and intensity from a board on the sidelines. Set the mood according to the music and time the stadium lights to turn on and warm up in time for the last big push to the sidelines (they still do that, don't they?).

<Gulp>

Yea, that might work.

Opens up a whole new arena for soliciting sponsorships. "The Emerson Electric Music in Motion Extravaganza!!" Coming to your city!

<Gulp>

EDIT: Would probably warrant a significant discount on the Oil Can if the lights are off 90% of the time.

>Gulp>

<Hiccup>

EDIT EDIT: "GE, We bring old drum corps to life!" And all the corps play the GE jingle en-masse during "fan appreciation" retreat. (Colors optional)

<hiccup>

/sarcasm (and scotch)

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

I really doubt most venues would permit DCI to come in and level their playing field, as they have drainage needs in case of rain, at least outdoor facilities. :lookaround:

4e5471ec941d2.image.jpg

:worthy:

• Like 2

That flashcube 'trick' was a stable of vis effect when I was in high school in the early 90's (fall 90-93). We had a big band, and it was a pretty cool effect from what I could tell from crowd reaction. Playing percussion, we never used them, but the wind players seemed to mostly have fun, having contests with each other to see how many flashcubes they can shoot off in the allotted time. My HS stopped doing it as well in the late 90's, early 00's because it became very difficult to find flashcubes.

Maybe the "future" with that type of effect would be using cell phone lighting effects or something

I saw it utilized as early as the mid 1970s, when I attended my first marching band invitational.

Edit: Really? A minus for not offering an opinion, but for stating a fact?

Remind me to never streak across the field in Allentown while screaming for people to bring me a root beer sno-cone. (Yes; I'm still a tad bitter over not getting one this year.)

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

Also, just to be clear:

1) there are no rules explicitly allowing lighting effects in DCI

2) as far as we know, no corps is planning on proposing a rule change allowing lighting in DCI in the near future

3) no corps director has been publicly stating how much they wish they can bring lighting to DCI, and will be working on swaying opinions this winter.

So really, we're just complaining for the sake of complaining, with absolutely no merit other than "I don't like lighting: DCI sucks for potentially changing rules in the future to allow lighting, and corps who have money suck for being corps who have money. Think about the CHILDREN!"

I know we're a long way off from the 2013 season, but is this what we really have to offer DCP?!

How long ya' been 'round these parts, pahdner? It's what we do.

• Like 1