So Lighting is the "Next Step" for DC?

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Crown had lights behind their drummer on the "stage" in 2011. They used them for a few rehearsals at camp but were never used during the season. I always wondered why but no explanation was ever given.

• Like 2

1351445552[/url]' post='3225420']

Has anyone seen the Kennesaw Mountain Marching Band this season ...

just watched the Atlanta BOA vids and they have uniforms that light up and the lights are different colors, or the same, and change and blink on and off while they are playing, and it doesn't seem to be controlled by the individual members ...

they got great audience response when the lights first appeared ....

I was at that show in Atlanta and thought it was pretty cool too. Each of them are wearing some sort of receiver that's strapped to their backs. You probably couldn't see them on the broadcast, but they're somewhat noticeable from the lower seats. A band mom told me the lights are controlled from someone in the pit.

• Like 3

I read a couple months ago that some believe that "lighting" is the next big thing for drum corps. Well, if the trend of the band world being a testing ground for drum corps ideas, this should show you that yes, lighting is coming.

Bellow are 2 images of the Berkner High School marching band from Richardson, TX. Their show about water (groundbreaking concept, btw) is complete with LED panels on the front sideline and several fog machines. This ensemble is very talented musically and visually, placing well both at the state and national level. So do we really need to spend this kind of money on something that is so not musical? Something that adds to the visual without any work?

I consider myself pretty open-minded about the use of new technology in the marching world. I can understand electronics if they are used as an instrument or to help with ensemble balance. I can understand props to some extent if there is interaction with those props that add to the performance aspect of the show. But this stuff is just sitting there, costing a TON of money.

Have at it, DCP.

https://sphotos-b.xx...001532639_n.jpg

Lighting experimentation is well under way in the BOA circuit. Last year a band out of Ohio called William Mason (10th place in Finals I think) did a winter show that involved lazer lights over a snow backdrop and this year there is a band out of Georgia called Kennesaw Mountain that is lighting up their plums and some of the trim in their uniforms.

Perhaps before we run off and buy the latest expensive toy for the designers, we (DCI) should get our financial house in order. All you have to do is look, and you will see that there are corps who are falling farther and farther behind financially. Do they really need to spend more money that they can't afford?

I for one would rather see these corps skip the latest fad, and remain on the field for the foreseeable future. The alternative is for DCI to lose another corps (or two) due to a lack of funds. If a corps is financially stable, fine. However, if a corps is not on solid financial footing, lighting could become the straw that breaks the camel's (financial) back.