So Lighting is the "Next Step" for DC?

If lighting had been utilized since we first started going to Lucas Oil Stadium:

"The Lights Are Always Brighter."

"Cool Glow" (from "West Side Story")

"Into the Light" (No title change necessary)

"Cabaret Voltage"

"Music of the Artificial Starry Night"

"15 Minutes of Neon"

• Like 1

I saw it utilized as early as the mid 1970s, when I attended my first marching band invitational.

Edit: Really? A minus for not offering an opinion, but for stating a fact?

Remind me to never streak across the field in Allentown while screaming for people to bring me a root beer sno-cone. (Yes; I'm still a tad bitter over not getting one this year.)

sadly, people on here would probably plus you if you did that.

granted I wouldn't.

besides...be proud of the minuses....it means you're telling people a truth they can't handle/ I want more ofthem

sadly, people on here would probably plus you if you did that.

granted I wouldn't.

besides...be proud of the minuses....it means you're telling people a truth they can't handle/ I want more ofthem

So, Jeff, does that mean your high plus count means you've been telling fibs this whole time? :blink:

Also, just to be clear:

1) there are no rules explicitly allowing lighting effects in DCI

2) as far as we know, no corps is planning on proposing a rule change allowing lighting in DCI in the near future

3) no corps director has been publicly stating how much they wish they can bring lighting to DCI, and will be working on swaying opinions this winter.

So really, we're just complaining for the sake of complaining, with absolutely no merit other than "I don't like lighting: DCI sucks for potentially changing rules in the future to allow lighting, and corps who have money suck for being corps who have money. Think about the CHILDREN!"

I know we're a long way off from the 2013 season, but is this what we really have to offer DCP?!

This would all be true if you didn't leave out some key details.

1: Michael Cesario stated that he believes lighting is the next big thing. I, for one, though this was a bit of a stretch until saw the group pictured in my OP at a marching contest this year.

2: Successful BOA-style bands have been the guinea pigs for what works and what doesn't lately. This is a well documented trend, especially in schools where the high school and a corps share a staff member or two and also in cases where ensembles (such as Berkner) compete at contests that draw World Class corps staffers.

I'm not complaining "for the sake" of it. I remembered the Cesario thread from earlier this year and saw the Berkner group as clear evidence that this is, in fact, something that is being tried.

I read a couple months ago that some believe that "lighting" is the next big thing for drum corps. Well, if the trend of the band world being a testing ground for drum corps ideas, this should show you that yes, lighting is coming.

Bellow are 2 images of the Berkner High School marching band from Richardson, TX. Their show about water (groundbreaking concept, btw) is complete with LED panels on the front sideline and several fog machines. This ensemble is very talented musically and visually, placing well both at the state and national level. So do we really need to spend this kind of money on something that is so not musical? Something that adds to the visual without any work?

I consider myself pretty open-minded about the use of new technology in the marching world. I can understand electronics if they are used as an instrument or to help with ensemble balance. I can understand props to some extent if there is interaction with those props that add to the performance aspect of the show. But this stuff is just sitting there, costing a TON of money.

Have at it, DCP.

https://sphotos-b.xx...001532639_n.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

That's a blurry link. Don't see what the lighting does for the look of the band other than obstruct and distract from them but I'm sure there could be a good use for it. Not saying that everyone or very many groups should try though. I do have a fondness for Christmas Trees lights that pulsate and change with pre-programmed music, so you never know...

It could be hip, it could be disastrous. My bet is 30 bad shows using this for every one that pulls it off. That good use could place low and the other 30 could place higher... I'd be happier if all the corps got A&E correct consistently before going onto something else....

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Kids like lights, they’re shinny. They won’t join drum corps without lights

What kid of monster hates kids and wants to kill drum corps by denying DCI Crops the use of lights?

Me! :tongue: We didn't even have the stadium lights on here in Sacramento this season. (Why do you think we called it the Moonlight Classic?) :devil:

So, Jeff, does that mean your high plus count means you've been telling fibs this whole time? :blink:

no. too many people like when I'm a blunt ########

This would all be true if you didn't leave out some key details.

1: Michael Cesario stated that he believes lighting is the next big thing. I, for one, though this was a bit of a stretch until saw the group pictured in my OP at a marching contest this year.

2: Successful BOA-style bands have been the guinea pigs for what works and what doesn't lately. This is a well documented trend, especially in schools where the high school and a corps share a staff member or two and also in cases where ensembles (such as Berkner) compete at contests that draw World Class corps staffers.

I'm not complaining "for the sake" of it. I remembered the Cesario thread from earlier this year and saw the Berkner group as clear evidence that this is, in fact, something that is being tried.

I haven't personally seen lighting used outside. I have seen it in indoor,a nd I have to be honest, the results were.....eh at best. I do agree it won't help the "Home of the Brave"corps who go on in the sunlight