So Lighting is the "Next Step" for DC?

I haven't personally seen lighting used outside. I have seen it in indoor,a nd I have to be honest, the results were.....eh at best. I do agree it won't help the "Home of the Brave"corps who go on in the sunlight

I agree (though, I didn't see it live). I saw video of Rhythm X outside with no lighting (other than their show) and it looked incredible. Then I saw their Finals run, and it was a bit underwhelming. I think there is a place for lighting in the activity, but I have yet to see a show where lighting felt necessary. I'm not going to write it off just because it's new and different and not the way things where back when I marched, but I don't think I really care either way. To be honest I think lighting is in its infancy as far as the marching arts, and no one has really truly explored it effectively

(sorry to all of my friends who teach/design/march Rhythm X: good idea, and a noble 'failure' so to speak, but I think there are possibly better, more tasteful ways of utilizing lighting as an effect)

I agree (though, I didn't see it live). I saw video of Rhythm X outside with no lighting (other than their show) and it looked incredible. Then I saw their Finals run, and it was a bit underwhelming. I think there is a place for lighting in the activity, but I have yet to see a show where lighting felt necessary. I'm not going to write it off just because it's new and different and not the way things where back when I marched, but I don't think I really care either way. To be honest I think lighting is in its infancy as far as the marching arts, and no one has really truly explored it effectively

(sorry to all of my friends who teach/design/march Rhythm X: good idea, and a noble 'failure' so to speak, but I think there are possibly better, more tasteful ways of utilizing lighting as an effect)

it's like with amps and sound clips etc...people are doing it just to do it, and it's not working well.

and, IMO, getting rewarded for it anyways

Kids like lights, they’re shinny. They won’t join drum corps without lights

What kid of monster hates kids and wants to kill drum corps by denying DCI Crops the use of lights?

Someone who hates shinny crops? :ph34r::rolleyes::shutup:

CampbellShinny231208_02sm.jpgrow_crop_rotation_crops.jpg

(Please forgive me. I went to a contemporary art opening in Chicago Friday night. It allowed me to get in touch with my inner weird, which is far scarier than my outer weird.)

PS: Inner weird is not a bad thing! Also, shinny is a type of hockey played in Canada.

PPS: I'll always believe we need more humor in the activity.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

I see the addition of a rule allowing lighting to be an uphill battle. For lighting to be effective it needs to be used in a dark environment. Unless a corps could be sure that their performance was to be in the later part of the evening, using lighting effects would be a lot of expense for little payoff. Additionally, corps who typically go on early in the evening would be at a distinct disadvantage to corps performing later in the evening when lighting effects would be best utilized. So, from a competitive standpoint, the use of lighting would create an unlevel playing field as well as a financial burden for many corps. I can see how it might work for a HS marching band who typically performs at a halftime show in the late evening, but I think it would be a hard sell for most corps in DCI.

It also should be noted that drum corps competes in the summer when sundown is later in the year. I also wonder how this stuff would come off in the roofed stadiums.

The point about finances is a key one. I have noted in the past how drum corps often ignores "return on investment" when they make rules changes. Anything that adds cost without attracting new fans and putting more people in the seats isn't worth it. I doubt a few flashy lights is going to attract more people to the activity. All it would mean is higher ticket prices for current fans.

Do I want to pay higher prices to see a few flashing lights? Hell, no. That's not the essence of the activity to me.

• Like 1

seems like each new thing they allow a few years of cheezy stuff is done but later on there are more shows that are done tastefully than cheezy. meh it's like anything I guess.

I saw WGi and thought some of the lighted shows were kind of cool.

"without deviation from the norm progress is not possible" -FZ

Don't hate on me, however.

I saw Madonna here in L.A. last week.

One of the productions included an approx 12 man snare in a Garfield Cadet style uni, individually suspended from top stage, and they performed drill 20 feet over the stage.. (or shall I say, a computer synchronized a sky drill).

A Highlight included another 20 dancers throwing DOWN some great unison dance, again, in Garfield Cadet style uni. It worked amazing.

Madonna did everything BLAST did x10.

Obviously not judged. But "THERE IT WAS" The future in now.

• Like 1

Yes, but if there was much concern about leveling the playing field DCI would overhaul numerous things. Leveling the playing field seems to be buzzworthy conversation, but rarely important legislation.

I think we'll see lighting within the next 10 years, if the activity lasts that long.

Level playing fields drain poorly.