So Lighting is the "Next Step" for DC?

Interesting topic. At our marching band exhibition this week we saw color guard rifles that had LED lights either glued on or integrated into the rifle stock itself. I can see that type of lighting being incorporated to flags/flagpoles and sabres before large lighting displays being rolled out. I could see the same thing at least attempted in drum sticks as well.

I've also seen some corps (senior corps is the only one I can remember right now, Sunrisers in the late 80s) use the old flash bulbs taped to instruments with a paper clip dangling by a string. During a specific moment in the show the players would take the paper clip and fire off the flash (each was good for up to 4 flashes). Pretty cool effect but you had to be careful not to look at the flash when it went off (Hit my spot? Which one!?!?)!

And of course I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about a complete blackout of the field followed by black light. Nah, never happen right?

Yes, but if there was much concern about leveling the playing field DCI would overhaul numerous things. Leveling the playing field seems to be buzzworthy conversation, but rarely important legislation.

I really doubt most venues would permit DCI to come in and level their playing field, as they have drainage needs in case of rain, at least outdoor facilities. :lookaround:

4e5471ec941d2.image.jpg

• Like 3

can't they at least figure out how to do A&E right first??? There is a ton of room for improvement there.

And aren't we trying to cut costs in this activity???

Nevermind... the G7 doesn't care about costs, only that they make more money at the expense of other corps

Even though only one or two corps are actually completely financially stable with constant revenue streams. And one of the more vocal corps administrators is at constant risk of killing his corps.

LET'S SAVE MONEY!!! But buy more expensive things that add nothing to the entertainment value of drum corps!!

Oh and these more expensive things require more space... oh so let's add on another vehicle!!!

Basically... I think lighting effects is the wrong direction for drum corps, who need to be saving money not spending more and more. And instead of relying on gimmicks and ####, actually design a ####### drum corps show.

• Like 2

True. But this has not been a concern yet. At least not to those with the cash to keep up with it. :ph34r:

This is true, and it is a #### shame that no one hands every corps brass instruments, percussion instruments, guard equipment, rehearsal facilities, transportation, housing etc. for free. I can't believe that corps should have to work to fundraise, and corps who are far better at fundraising than others are allowed to exploit said advantage and use the money that THEY were able to fundraise however they see fit. ALL corps should be given everything free, and not corps who is able to make good business decisions should be allowed to operate freely in DCI. Lets lower our standards for the super under-achieving corps rather than raise standards to the over achieving.

Great idea, people

• Like 1

Also, just to be clear:

1) there are no rules explicitly allowing lighting effects in DCI

2) as far as we know, no corps is planning on proposing a rule change allowing lighting in DCI in the near future

3) no corps director has been publicly stating how much they wish they can bring lighting to DCI, and will be working on swaying opinions this winter.

So really, we're just complaining for the sake of complaining, with absolutely no merit other than "I don't like lighting: DCI sucks for potentially changing rules in the future to allow lighting, and corps who have money suck for being corps who have money. Think about the CHILDREN!"

I know we're a long way off from the 2013 season, but is this what we really have to offer DCP?!

• Like 1

Lets lower our standards for the super under-achieving corps rather than raise standards to the over achieving.

Hey, now, that's not fair.

I could totally find enough Lite Brites for everyone in DCI if you let me hit Goodwill a few times.

This is true, and it is a #### shame that no one hands every corps brass instruments, percussion instruments, guard equipment, rehearsal facilities, transportation, housing etc. for free. I can't believe that corps should have to work to fundraise, and corps who are far better at fundraising than others are allowed to exploit said advantage and use the money that THEY were able to fundraise however they see fit. ALL corps should be given everything free, and not corps who is able to make good business decisions should be allowed to operate freely in DCI. Lets lower our standards for the super under-achieving corps rather than raise standards to the over achieving.

Great idea, people

Way to shoot the messenger. And I believe G7 addresses your last concern.

And by the way, see my first post. All I did was point out the same facts that were used to justify the last round of changes. Didn't say anything else so look for someone else to blame for peeing on your cheerios.

Edited by Gold_Bond

I've also seen some corps (senior corps is the only one I can remember right now, Sunrisers in the late 80s) use the old flash bulbs taped to instruments with a paper clip dangling by a string. During a specific moment in the show the players would take the paper clip and fire off the flash (each was good for up to 4 flashes). Pretty cool effect but you had to be careful not to look at the flash when it went off (Hit my spot? Which one!?!?)!

I used them twice with the band I teach...94 and around 2000 or so. It got tough to even find the darn flash cubes around my area.