Side discussion re: Corps in Trouble

This is my opinion, based on my perspective...

I am 61 years old, and still have a ringing in my ears from rehearsals in small rooms in the late 60's and early 70's. The Glassmen at that time traveled on ONE bus with a converted bread truck as an equipment van, traveled as far as up-state NY and downstate IL for primarily weekend shows in small towns against what then seemed to be a rather small group of drum corps from other small towns. Looking back, there were an enormous bunch of corps...

Two definitions from Wikipedia:

Esotericism or Esoterism signifies the holding of esoteric opinions or beliefs, that is, ideas preserved or understood by a small group or those specially initiated, or of rare or unusual interest.

Esoteric

Hubris means extreme pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power.

Hubris

In those days, we went to great lengths to distance ourselves from anything "School" or "Band", knowing that the music we played, the marching styles we used, the uniforms we wore (and sometimes slept in) were not only different, but in our minds better than any school band, anywhere.

The "community" that most of us lived in, was a thriving automotive-oriented economy of nearly 3/4 million people with about 10 or so Fortune 500 companies headquarted here.

We had no ties to the community, any part of the community, and although the 600 or so fans (other corps parents and girlfriends) in the stands would hear us announced as being from "Maumee, OH" or "Toledo, OH", I was never really sure why, because no one in either city had ever heard of us then, and it has not changed much in the subsequent 50 years, despite the achievements of the organization. In fact, I suspect the Glassmen are better known in Europe than in Lucas County, Ohio.

Each year, the corps performs with the Toledo Symphony (a "world-class" outfit) and at the "Music Under the Stars" series at the Toledo Zoo, as well as a local parade or two. These "events" are better publicized and more widely acknowledged in the Drum Corps world than they are in Toledo.

So in a time of need for roughly $300,000.00 to permit the organization to continue its mission of providing resume filler for future band directors, the Glassmen have nowhere to turn except for the other high-priests of the Esoteric, the rest of the choir members, us.

Is this Hubris???

That decision is left to you. I suspect you know how I (one of the guilty ones) feel.

So what can be done for the Glassmen, if they survive? And more to the point, what can other organizations do that are one failed fund raiser away from folding?

Re-join your community. Get acquainted with the band directors, service club leaders, youth authorities, Preachers and School administrators. Tell them who you are, what you do, what you have achieved, what your larger mission is, how they can help you, and most importantly how you can help them.

I know what you're thinking. "We can't fly those kids in here from wherever they are for these community events." I'm certain that's true. So you had better have some locals who wear your uniforms and can tell your story.

For Instance:

"The Oregon Crusaders was honored to have our members perform with the Trisha Brown dance company over the past several days. We thank White Bird Dance, Portland's premier modern dance series, for helping us to be a part of this innovative performance experience."

Crusaders

"The Concord Chamber of Commerce Executive Board of Directors selects one business every month that has excelled in representing the community and the City of Concord. For October 2012, the selection was the Blue Devils. The Blue Devils has been a member of the Chamber for 27 years -- one of the longest members in it's history."

Blue Devils

I don't expect everyone will agree with me, but I hope you can point to lots of other examples like these last two (BD's wind ensemble and SCV's dance classes come to mind).

What is your favorite corps doing to expand its support base? If the answer is, "not much" get your checkbook out.

• Like 4

I agree. Many Drum Corps need to have local ties.

I feel like a good compromise would be to start a feeder corps for each corps that doesn't have a considerable member or alumni base in and around their town.

The marketing for these corps would be markedly different, obviously. It would have to be inspiring, educational, and evoking of civic pride.

It could also be marketed as the educational opportunity it is by teaming up with a university such as how City Sound has done with California State University Dominguez Hills. The results remain to be seen.

Yeah yeah.. "easier said than done."

The "A" Corps would represent the combination of their city, state, and, inherent in the DCI name, nation.

• Like 1

So....

What are other corps doing to connect with their communities?

Has it worked?

Some things Troopers are doing to reconnect with the state of Wyoming as well as the entire region:

In the last few weeks the Univ. of Wyoming did a Troopers Tribute show, and the most recent drum major for the Troopers, Alex Lackey (2012 age out), was invited to conduct. He did so, in full Troopers DM uniform. There were many pictures taken of members with Alex on the podium and with members of the band. Here's one.

Alex Lackey with UW member

There were/are 2013 recruitment booths happening all over the region, and in Casper, at marching band events.

The corps is now linked with the Wyoming all state marching band, and there is a link on the Troopers website splash page.

The corps started a winter guard unit in Cheyenne, WY - also linked on the splash page.

Troopers Bingo is a long-standing profitable operation and is housed in the same building as the corps offices.

This past summer (2012) there was a real "home show" hosted by the Troopers organization in Casper. It had been a very long time since such a show has happened. It was PACKED, even though pre-show sales were slow. According to one of our alumni committee members who resides in Casper, people in Casper tend to decide to attend events at the last minute. We also had an alumni tent at the event with a timeline, historical pictures and items to peruse. Lastly, there was a V.I.P fundraiser dinner event with raffles and the like. It, too, was nearly full. The corps did a great job in getting the word out about these events!

Many, if not most, of the members of the board live in Casper or Wyoming.

This is only what I know about as the Troopers Alumni Committee president. There may be many more things that the corps is doing behind the scenes to become more prominent in the neighborhood.

I will say, though, that getting members from Casper or Wyoming who are up to the task of drum corps (including financial obligations) is difficult. But there IS effort to do just that, every year.

So....

What are other corps doing to connect with their communities?

Has it worked?

I think Bluecoats have linked up with local baseball team to share facilities. Will save them money & should increase their profile amongst the local baseball fans.

Each year, the corps performs with the Toledo Symphony (a "world-class" outfit) and at the "Music Under the Stars" series at the Toledo Zoo, as well as a local parade or two. These "events" are better publicized and more widely acknowledged in the Drum Corps world than they are in Toledo.

So in a time of need for roughly $300,000.00 to permit the organization to continue its mission of providing resume filler for future band directors, the Glassmen have nowhere to turn except for the other high-priests of the Esoteric, the rest of the choir members, us.

Is this Hubris???

So far, it sounds more like a simple lack of publicity. The corps is making the effort to establish a local presence through these performances, as well as hosting one or two shows in the Toledo area each summer. Maybe they just need more help getting the word out.

OT...I am going to be in Cheyenne tomorrow for a business meeting! :smile:

Hope you have winter weather gear! High of 33 and snow showers predicted on weather.com (and now everyone can see why the marching arts in a season other than summer is a problem in Wyoming!)

What are corps doing to cut costs in areas they don't need them.

A corps can still be competitive if they marched 128 like 10 years ago. It would be less staff, 1 less bus.

Why not drop 10-15 from the staff in some cases. Does SCV really need 15 people on their percussion staff. Granted they're not crying poor, but do they? I doubt it. Find 5-8 that can make the schedule work that are kick ### teachers, I am sure they would be fine.

Maybe find music that doesn't cost a fortune in royalties. Most SINGLE songs from Hal Leonard cost over $600, maybe find a new piece.

For example, I wrote a marching band show this year using Sweeney Todd. The band used 5 songs. They paid $3,000 in royalties. Is that something that HAS to be done?

I know there are ways a corps can cut costs and still have a great show filled with great memories for the kids, just have to be smart about it.

What are corps doing to cut costs in areas they don't need them.

Cost-cutting is smart for anyone and any organization... But this thread is about gaining recognition and support in your backyard to maximize the resources the corps has to educate, travel and feed itself.

I have long admired and envied the relationship the Blue Stars, The Troopers, and Phantom Regiment have with their home town newspapers... Those relationships were secured and are being maintained at some cost to the organization. No, I am not saying they pay cash for the coverage, I am saying someone from the Drum Corps got in touch and STAYS in touch with the media. Recognition in the newspaper, and on local TV and radio stations leads to recognition in the broader community.

When the broader community knows who you are and what you do, they respond when you need help.

If memory serves me, (and these days that's a major "if"), Regiment had some very serious debt issues some years back. Seems like 4 or 5 years, probably more like 10 or 12.

There were articles in the Rockford paper about the issue, all "newsy" and woeful in tone, almost like it were the city schools that had the debt crushing them. Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm certain that however painful it was for corps alums and volunteers and recruits to read this stuff, it no doubt helped Phantom reach out to the community for help in retiring the debt.

I also remember 40 plus years ago when the Marion Cadets were a powerhouse corps in Ohio, that they wanted to buy some buses, and they wanted to buy the local National Guard Armory as a corps hall. It was broad favorable coverage in the Marion Star that led that tiny city to raise a bunch of money for the Cadets.

Now we need to remember that in those days, most if not all of the members were actually Marion and/or Bellefontaine residents, and that Marion's Corps Director was a Star employee, but I think it pretty much holds water anyway.

"Public Relations" is pretty much understood to be advertising you don't pay for. Maybe the more successful corps can share what they do... I think we would be shocked to find out it's just as important to fielding a corps as who is head of percussion (or whatever).