Could a Change in Show Design Help Alleviate Financial Problems?

I think the original poster has a valid point. I think a huge example of this was when Cavaliers were putting out their amazing shows between 2000-2006, people were loving their shows, and you saw huge lines at the souvie booths. More people buying souvies is definitely an increase in revenue, even if a small percentage of the money needed to survive for the season. And while winning competitions didn't hurt them any, the people supported them even more because they loved their shows. I remember in 2006, Cadets had a show that was very well performed, but disliked by many.If you looked at their souvie stand at finals week, they were very slow, especially compared to their more popular years. I do believe a well designed shows can definitely help souvie sales, audio/video sales, and definitely help with donations. I personally would love to hear how much Surf did in sales and donations compared to some of their other years. I personally have thought they have been great since at least 2000, but this year it seemed like everyone finally stood up and noticed a corps who wouldn't have even placed in semi-finals 2 years ago in 18th place.

Will it solve all their financial problems? Probably not, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have people love your show, and show even more financial support. So I would definitely think it would alleviate SOME of the financial problems if shows were designed more for the fans than the judges.

Any idea how how successful fundraising was for a corps after a "controversial" show design?

Cadets 06 or 08 would be good examples. Some BD shows have certainly been controversial, but I feel that they are the only corps that diversifies its fundraising model, as danielray mentioned.

The title says it all. Can a change in show design influence the popularity and overall financial stability of a corps, what styles are the most popular and why? Please give examples.

well..unconfirmed, but rumor was rampant after the 06-08 shows, Cadets alumni were getting loud about not spending $$. the shows after that, 2010 aside, seemed to be more crowd engaging

Edited by Jeff Ream

That's the end. Nothing more needs said.

"Leave the gun. Take the canolis."

We can go now.

Oh Paulie, you won't see him no more

Completely unrelated. The issue is DCI and member corps not diversifying revenues to include streams entirely unrelated to drum corps, marching band, etc.

What will increase the financial stability of drum corps is selling more stuff that is not dependent on the very narrow market of marching band enthusiasts.

Here's what Bill Cook had to say on the matter:

"There has been speculation that it required $1 million to field Star; this is true. (At another time, I will give the details on how four corporations were started to meet Star's financial needs in the future; these companies are: Star Charter Services, Star Travel Services, Cook Aviation, and Cook Air Services. With the exception of Cook Air Services, they are profitable and contributing to Star of Indiana today).

Expenses each year run between $740,000 and $950,000. For this reason, I suggest to anyone who asks me, "What is the first thing to do when starting a drum corps?" My answer is, "(1) Raise enough money to get started and to field the corps, (2) never go in debt and stay within budget, (3) find a continuing source of income outside of drum corps such as bingo or sponsorship, and (4) don't disappoint young people by allowing your corps to go broke."

Full article: http://www.blastthes...rtical_rec.html

• Like 1

The title says it all. Can a change in show design influence the popularity and overall financial stability of a corps, what styles are the most popular and why? Please give examples.

Well, the G7 Powerpoint (link in 'head exploding' thread) on slide 52 says that the G7 members need to become "entertainers"; so I would say yes.

I'm talking revenue streams that have ZERO connection to marching or music world, and several of them in very different areas.

The G7 proposal was talking about corps payouts being INCREASED to $3,000. Most of the time that doesn't even cover the cost of fuel from one place to another.

It isn't a big deal that corps can't sustain themselves through performances, merchandising and direct revenues at this stage. This is true of all arts. Donations also aren't the answer as these are hard to get, tough to keep and offer no predictability. The answer is simple new for profit businesses that throw off cash to the orgs.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1

I'm talking revenue streams that have ZERO connection to marching or music world, and several of them in very different areas.

The G7 proposal was talking about corps payouts being INCREASED to $3,000. Most of the time that doesn't even cover the cost of fuel from one place to another.

It isn't a big deal that corps can sustain themselves through performances, merchandising and direct revenues at this stage. This is true of all arts. Donations also aren't the answer as these are hard to get, tough to keep and offer no predictability. The answer is simple new for profit businesses that throw off cash to the orgs.

"Leave the gun. Take the canolis"

We're done here.

well..unconfirmed, but rumor was rampant after the 06-08 shows, Cadets alumni were getting loud about not spending $$. the shows after that, 2010 aside, seemed to be more crowd engaging

I didn't see any evidence of a concerted movement of alumni not supporting the corps. Individuals? Sure...there are those who dislike modern drum corps, or Hoppy, or.... but that happens today as well as 2006-2008.

I think there has been a turnaround in the relationship between the YEA! organization and the alumni, but it isn't due to show design...IMO anyway. More due to the efforts of a few of the more influential leaders of the alumni association...it took on a new life in 09, the 75th anniversary year and continues to this day, I am glad to say.

• Like 1