What happens next?

25% (7 out of 28) of the Blue Devils 2013 performances will be at G7-only shows. I don't know if DCI the corporation is feeling a pinch from the TOC--now MIMPA--series, but the other corps and the other shows certainly are.

How many shows did BD do last year? I think there is no guarantee that BD would perform at DCI shows instead of MiM events. I know at least one MiM event is during DCI I&E, which is a free event (i.e. it makes no money for DCI) and doesn't conflict with a DCI show. I thought that another MiM show was on a non-DCI show day and also had no conflicts.

But again, regardless of all of that there's no guarantee that BD would've done a DCI show instead of a free day or rehearsal day. They're going to all the DCI Regional shows, right? Those are, I thought, technically the only shows DCI makes money from anyway.

Yes!!! You and your mom are the typical, normal, average, DCI fans which make up an overwhelming portion of the DCI spectators; people who have had, or currently do have, direct association with DCI. Many of the rest of the DCI fans are those currently involved in hs marching bands who want to be involved with a DCI corps in the future. And that spectator 'demographic' difference is what separates the people who attend DCI events as opposed to those who attend major sporting events. Most who go see the Yankees play the Red Sox, or those who go see the Steelers play the Patriots have never been directly associated with the National Football League or the teams let alone played either baseball or football at any capacity. But, most of those who go to DCI or BOA do have a direct connection to DCI or BOA. For various reasons football and baseball appeal to those who have never played the game, but drum corps, for the most part, does not appeal to those who never performed in the marching arts. That factor is also one of the main reasons the spectator draw for the marching arts is so very small when compared to other major competitive activities like football and baseball.

That's a great point. I enjoy watching college football, even game that don't involve my alma mater, even though I never came anywhere close to playing football: I suspect the vast majority of football fans are similar to me.

Oddly enough, though, I think fans of sports are naturally more attracted to seeing the top teams. I live in San Diego, and when they occasionally play a huge team, like for example The Yankees, the stadium gets a huge turn out of fans who want to see a top team in the sport: even if it is to boo them! In a move of pure psuedo dikish behavior, I'd kind of be interested to see a MiM show in one stadium, with a DCI show in another is a very close proximity to see how big a different attendance would be. I assume DCI wouldn't want to take that gamble, and the MiM folks are wise to not upset DCI (or fans) anymore than they already have

And that (see bold) is why the haughty self-serving directors of the G7 MiM need to become realists and live within the means of their activity instead of attempting to become cannibals within their activity.

Do you think that's the impetus for this entire thing? Do you think it's a matter of corps' spending/budgets continuing to balloon while revenue is fairly consistently below corps' budgets? I suspect that is one fairly big part of it, but I think it might be more than that. Blue Devils certainly have other means of making money on the side (they're BY FAR the best business-esque organization in DCI, and I don't think money is necessarily the driving factor for them, at least).

Do you think that's the impetus for this entire thing? Do you think it's a matter of corps' spending/budgets continuing to balloon while revenue is fairly consistently below corps' budgets?

YES!!!!! I contend that Hop, Gibbs, et al are scrambling to make an attempt to jump into the world of mass-entertainment; and they over-extended within DCI to test the outside waters which has now created sort of an unsustainable cash eating machine. They do not want to back down, yet they are afraid that the mass-entertainment world would not be able to sustain another seven (or possibly more) Blast type groups. So they are 'still' coming up with various tests while sucking on the DCI mammary gland (even going so far as proposing cannibalizing many other corps in the G7 proposal) While this does boil down to money flow (revenue vs. explosive expenditures) it is also about dreams of power, prestige, and superstar recognition (although Hop, Gibbs, would likely say "oh, no, no, no. it is about the kids"). This is why that I am fine with the place DCI is currently at (maybe downsizing tours a bit until the country gets back on solid economic footing); and am fine if the G7 want to split from DCI and try their ideas in the free-market world of for-profit entertainment. But I am not for placing the current status of DCI at risk in the name of feeding the G7 attempts at entertainment grandeur.

But I am not for placing the current status of DCI at risk in the name of feeding the G7 attempts at entertainment grandeur.

Testify.

Today I was fascinated to discover than in New Zealand there are no squirrels.

BWWWAAAAHHHHAAAAA!

Oh! The madness of it all!

(sorry, this just really struck my funny bone.)

But Dan, does no squirrels in New Zealand really reach the level of importance of world peace and global warming?

Funny.

Edited by garfield

25% (7 out of 28) of the Blue Devils 2013 performances will be at G7-only shows. I don't know if DCI the corporation is feeling a pinch from the TOC--now MIMPA--series, but the other corps and the other shows certainly are.

I don't know why this concept eludes the grasp of so many on here. Pretty obvious to me that if you systematically raise the pay of seven DCI corps, that will take away from the rest to some degree.

• Like 1