Best Hornlines

I'm confused why people are talking about horn lines from decades ago in this discussion. While the original post is pretty vague, this being the current WC DCI forum might not be the best place to talk about Madison's great horn lines from the 70's, or Suncoast Sound's great horn lines of the 80's. Perhaps folks wanting to discuss that can go over to http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/forum/59-historical-junior-corps-discussions/ to talk in the historical forum.

Or maybe I'm misconstruing the intent of the post and they were asking for all-time "underdogs" (which, FWIW, is kind of silly to talk about corps who have won the High Brass trophy over the years - clearly Madison Scouts winning Brass Line of 1975 is not overlooked or an underdog).

• Like 3

These are good points, and I don't think anyone would legitimately argue Madison has not had some great horn lines over the years.

But seeing as this is the modern DCI World Class forum, and not the "historical" forum, I think it's fair to stipulate that many kids in here are thinking modern and not decades ago. Perhaps the most appropriate place to talk about Madison's awesome horn line in 1975 would be here: http://www.drumcorps...ps-discussions/

Oh yea great! just when i was going to mention Stockton Commodores! I hate you!

tongue.gif

I've always thought Blue Stars 2010 was under appreciated, they were getting to 5th and 6th place scores in brass and ensemble during prelims and semis, dropped during finals though. Or maybe I am biased towards my favorite corps? Who knows. :tongue:/>

I still remember thinking they sounded like a top 4 or 5 corps that year.

I'm confused why people are talking about horn lines from decades ago in this discussion. While the original post is pretty vague, this being the current WC DCI forum might not be the best place to talk about Madison's great horn lines from the 70's, or Suncoast Sound's great horn lines of the 80's. Perhaps folks wanting to discuss that can go over to http://www.drumcorps...ps-discussions/ to talk in the historical forum.

Or maybe I'm misconstruing the intent of the post and they were asking for all-time "underdogs" (which, FWIW, is kind of silly to talk about corps who have won the High Brass trophy over the years - clearly Madison Scouts winning Brass Line of 1975 is not overlooked or an underdog).

True, of course that means we can only talk about corps from this year and next year in this forum.

It would be pretty boring to limit discussions to only this time frame. satisfied.gif

• Like 3

To be quite honest I am amazed at all of the top twelve hornlines!

No doubt! Last winter I bought legacy DVD's from 87, 89, and 9: shows/years I 'grew up' listening to and holding up on a pedestal. As much as I love those shows, it blows me away how much quality modern brass lines have, especially all of the Finalists. When first - sixth sound as good as 1980's/1990's Top 3, and when 7-12 brass lines generally sounds like 80s/90s Top 6, DCI brass is in a great place in general!!

True, of course that means we can only talk about corps from this year and next year in this forum.

It would be pretty boring to limit discussions to only this time frame. satisfied.gif

In the past, I think it's been said that that there is a general 'guide line' for years to discuss in the modern forum: something like 5-8 years or so (not exact, obviously). So I don't think we need to limit conversation to this year and next year, but I do think talking about corps from the 70's is counterintuitive to discussion in a modern forum; don't you agree that would be better served in the historical DCI forum?!

(FWIW: I would _MUCH_ rather talk about the minutia of a great horn line like Madison 1975 rather than the upteenth "best 10th place flag soloist" or "BD is boring" or whatever :tongue: )

I'm confused why people are talking about horn lines from decades ago in this discussion. While the original post is pretty vague, this being the current WC DCI forum might not be the best place to talk about Madison's great horn lines from the 70's, or Suncoast Sound's great horn lines of the 80's. Perhaps folks wanting to discuss that can go over to http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/forum/59-historical-junior-corps-discussions/ to talk in the historical forum.

I am not confused -an important part of drum corps is tradition. IIRC, the OP is someone rather new to the activity. Although the historical section is the place to discuss (argue) whether Madison's 3rd sops in 75 were better than their 3rd sops in 74, I believe perfectly appropriate in the current forum and topic to note that current hornlines are what they are in part because of some great hornlines of the past.

• 3 weeks later...

I still remember thinking they sounded like a top 4 or 5 corps that year.

Mmm yes, that Blue Stars 2010 Hornline was clean