2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

actually many corps don't consider parades fluff. the key is finding one that pays enough to make it worth going to. more and more parades pay less and less if at all

DCA used to have a parade the night before the show, had to make a certain percentage to compete in finals, most corps counted people and just made it because they didn't want to march in parades, maybe that has changed, doubt it.

DCA used to have a parade the night before the show, had to make a certain percentage to compete in finals, most corps counted people and just made it because they didn't want to march in parades, maybe that has changed, doubt it.

when did DCA do that? i never had to march a parade. i did for A.L. nats. but never DCA. it must be after i left. do you know when that was?

Hi, Bill!

I have a feeling you get it!

By the way, Kilties are right up there in my book. Always have been, always will! Way back, Kilties marched down the street in Allentown in a promotional parade. I remember thinking "THIS is what I was hoping for!

worthy.gif

Thank you for your very kind words Fred!

The Allentown parade was a fun parade, if I recall we stopped at the reviewing stand (we were not supposed to by the way, oh well) played a tune called "Coconut and Champagne" and at the end of the tune popped off hand-held confetti laden (string pulled) firework pieces into the air. Mickey was a little pi$$ed at first, but by the end of the tune and jocularity he managed to crack a smile; as did the fans.

Bill, just for the memories (and a bit of trivia) I was there for your reviewing stand production. I just finished marching with 3 local buddies as the Main Guard for CorpsVets. It was CV's first time at DCA and they had no color guard. Tom Walsh of CV (a good friend) asked if I could come up with something to help them. We did!

So . . . in a peculiar kind of way, I am proud to say I marched CorpsVets! I also drank real moonshine gin at their Post in Atlanta! Keep that a secret.

I believe "99" was the last year for the evening parade.

In 2000 in Syracuse at the fairgrounds the bottom half of the previous year's top ten did a parade and the top half did a stage performance if I recall correctly.

That sounds about right, Liz. I was there one year when that was the deal. The concert portion at the fair's Chevrolet Court was before several thousand fans. A good time, for sure! I'm thinking the parade thing originated in Allentown. Who thought of it, I do not know. Maybe Glen Paisley.

In 2000 in Syracuse at the fairgrounds the bottom half of the previous year's top ten did a parade and the top half did a stage performance if I recall correctly.

Correct.

There was a Friday night parade in Rochester in 1996, too.

That was the first time I remember that happening in the years I've been at DCA weekend.

Just a passing thought as I have been catching up on this thread......

I wonder if the shows were designed only to entertain the fans and performances were not judged or scored, would they 1) cost less to produce; 2)be more entertaining to the layman at a show; 3) grow a larger fan base of people that do not care who wins or places 11th; and 4) would people still be interested in marching?

Like I said, just a passing thought......