2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

are corps smaller though Fred? I mean really, until the 70's, most corps didn't have 100 total member, and even then, just many did as did not

VERY true.

Look at NanciD's great site of DCN issues from the 60's...they often gave the sizes of corps as they described them in articles...hornlines in the high 30's, drumlines in the low teens, guards of a dozen..pretty normal for the 'big' corps of the day.

Correct, guys. That's the point. During the "good ole" days, few corps had more than 90 total. It had to have been a less expensive operation then in terms of equipment required, staffing and, given that some folks prefer to drive on their own, 2 buses was doable.

I don't know, it's just that when costs become a problem, most choose to deal with that by downsizing in some way.

Edited by Fred Windish

Correct, guys. That's the point. During the "good ole" days, few corps had more than 90 total. It had to have been a less expensive operation then in terms of equipment required, staffing and, given that some folks prefer to drive on their own, 2 buses was doable.

I don't know, it's just that when costs become a problem, most choose to deal with that by downsizing in some way.

The problem with downsizing becomes being seen as a place worthy of marching to someone on the outside possibly looking to march with a corps...of course, that ends up being a chicken/egg sort of thing.

"Join us"

"No, you're too small"

"If you join us, we're that much bigger"

"Get back to me when you have more people"

It becomes a downward spiral, and eventually the corps falls below 'critical mass', so to speak.

Like it or not, if a potential member, usually already part of a marching band, either currently or recent past, doesn't see the corps as being a large step up, my guess is that most will not bother spending the time and $ to march with a corps at or close to what they have already experienced.

One mistake I see here on DCP is that often times posters look at things as already-involved people from the corps perspective, not as people currently outside looking to march...the focus has to be on what it takes to make them want to march, not the things it does for the corps.

You also didn't have a pit, guard members had 1 silk, a single uniform that had 0 to do with the show concept, and the buses didn't have bathrooms or air conditioning (amoungst other things).

I'll take the present for $500 Alex.

and the buses didn't have bathrooms

You don't want to hear the stories I heard..... :devil:/>

Edited by JimF-LowBari

No, for corps budgets it is not really much of a factor. Outside of the shows at huge NFL stadiums, show sites where I have gone can't really hold many more people...they are sellouts or close to it. That has been primarily DCI shows, of course, not DCA.

Show attendance has to affect the bottom line for corps. It would be delusional to claim otherwise.

What you have seen at DCI shows is most likely the result of sagging attendance causing show sponsors to choose smaller (cheaper) venues.

• Like 1

You also didn't have a pit, guard members had 1 silk, a single uniform that had 0 to do with the show concept, and the buses didn't have bathrooms or air conditioning (amoungst other things).

I'll take the present for $500 Alex.

not that i ever rode the bus...............i mostly flew...........but our buses did have bathrooms. and i hear they got pretty smelly...........LOL.

You don't want to hear the stories I heard..... devil.gif/>

yes jim please !!!!!! I WANT TO HEAR THEM w00t.gif

knowing John as I do, if he was bashing, you'd really know. In a lot of ways he's like me...blunt trauma honesty is mistaken for bashing

I agree. The two of you need to be kinder and gentler. :tongue:

Seriously... you're right. Honesty can be, and is, construed as "bashing."

• Like 1