2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

No, you just want everyone to use the same stuff thus making them have the same 'sound' and creating no differences between most.

• Like 2

And so it begins.

The offer I made in the Cadets2 thread this time last year still stands; in 2015 or so, when the dust settles and all the "useful idiots" are standing around asking "WTF happened?" , PM me and I'll explain it to you. I'll use small words if necessary.

Edited by Gold_Bond
  • Like 6

I'm ok with amping the pit, and let's be honest....eventually the other stuff will get approved.

My concern is of course if judging in DCA wiull actually show some teeth and balls when balance is bad unlike DCI.

and I must be honest, with a small child, 2 weekends in Rachacha may see my streak of attending DCA since birth end.

• Like 2

Hopefully never. I do agree that amps was long over due. Even if you disagree with the decision, I think everyone knew it was coming eventually.

However, unlike John, I don't support the blandification of mixing BOA, WGI, DCI and DCA into all sounding the same.

WGI doesn't sound the same. no wind instruments

*looks at 2011 BD during the big shout in "Say a Little Prayer"....notes the person on the vibes POUNDING the keys at around the 6:57 mark of the vid.

Very end of 2011 Cavies...yep....pounding away.

There are certainly other examples.

Remember the argument that amping the pit would mean players wouldn't have to pound their instruments into the ground for their part to be heard and contribute?? Remember also when the allowable size was increased, so more corps added brass or drums....thus drowning out the amped pit? So...now you add more pit instruments (I counted 10 LARGE keyboards at one point) in an effort to counter the larger brass/battery...some of them miked (Really, BD??? You need to mike a guy who's parked near the sideline and already screaming a double C???)...you can't turn the amps up or you get distortion...so the only thing to do is to whang the things harder.....which kinda defeats the original purpose of amping them.

If you have 10 large keys in the pit, they're amped, and the players -- even at the very top -- still feel they need to beat them to death....there's something wrong here.

When it's a soft horn passage, an exposed key passage, etc and they can be heard normally, they CAN....WITHOUT BEING AMPED.

Amping, then increasing the wind size, and thereby forcing the keys to he heard over THAT, even with amp assistance, renders irrelevant the orchestral technique argument used to approve amps in the first place.

It's happened in DCI....I see it happening in DCA now.

Sad.

been saying for years heights havent really adjusted, but mallet selection has