Carolina Crown 2013

Bertrand Moren was pretty happy with Crown playing his stuff (not to mention impressed with how well they did it).

PLC is apparently a pretty hot commodity in the brass band world. I think it's very cool to see Crown exploring this genre.

I've recently started listening to a lot more from the brass band world. So many of PLC's compositions are amazing!

The Black Dyke Band playing "Immortal" is my new favorite. I also love "Equilibrium" and "Vitae Aeternum." They have two CD's of Paul Lovatt-Cooper compositions recorded - neither of which I can find on this side of the pond. At least the Black Dyke Band ships CD orders to Canada.

I will agree that there did seem to be a lack of clarity in Crown's drill last year. IMO the lack of clarity is due in large part because Crown is so much more spread out that the individual mistakes are very easy to see and only people sitting way up in the stands can even see the total picture. They absolutely started the season much dirtier than their closest competitors but were very clean by finals. Too many of the current design teams no longer think of the entire field as the canvas on which to display their art but instead do the less musically demanding and less exposed option of cramming the marching musicians into very tight forms whenever something musically demanding occurs. Should Crown simply do the same in order to make their visuals easier to read or should they continue spreading from goal post to goal post when they are not being given credit for the more challenging route? I don't know the answer. In my day corps were generally given credit for "field coverage", but that no longer seems to be the case. You have to admit that what they are doing is more demanding than the same old rotating blocks and elbow to elbow park and blow segments than what we have seem from some other corps in recent years.

One more question...... Has there been a really incredible and memorable drill from ANY corps since we increased the membership to 150 or just more clutter? IMO the answer is no.

Edited by bluesman
  • Like 1

One more question...... Has there been a really incredible and memorable drill from ANY corps since we increased the membership to 150 or just more clutter? IMO the answer is no.

-Cadets 2011 "argyle" set

-Crown 2012 3D cube rotation

-BD 2012 opening statement - rolling out of a clump into a perfect block

-The musicality and artistry of Regiment's 2011 and 2012 drill

Just a few from the past couple of years off the top of my head. Back on topic, I'm really looking forward to what Crown brings to the table this year. The fact that they're exploring more brass band music is fascinating and exciting to me, and I hope they make that a part of their identity moving forward.

Edited by zachariaswmb
  • Like 3

a little more PLC music (composer conducting actually)

from PLCMusic.Com...

Fire in the Blood was commissioned by Dr Stephen Cobb for the 120th anniversary of the International Staff Band of the Salvation Army. The piece was composed for the celebration concert where the ISB were joined by several other staff bands from around the world to perform independently to a sell-out capacity crowd at Britain's most famous concert hall The Royal Albert Hall. Fire in the Blood received its world premier at the 'ISB 120' concert at the Royal Albert Hall on June 4th 2011.

With this piece I wanted to acknowledge music that had an impact on me through my Salvation Army upbringing. When thinking of a title for this piece I had no hesitation than to reflect and re-word the Salvation Army's motto under their famous crest 'Blood and Fire'.

When composing Fire in the Blood I wanted to use three songs of worship that have been prevalent in the Salvation Army's services over a number of years. Opening with Richard Phillips' setting of Psalm 95, 'Sing for Joy', the music is vibrant and full of energy, I wanted to capture the spirit of the well known words of Scripture. The music then moves into a more reflective section that includes Howard Davies' emotive song melody 'Lord, you know that we love you' and Laurie Klein's worship song 'I love you Lord'.

A re-statement of the opening Psalm setting follows and this, in turn, leads into a dramatic and powerful finale that combines two pivotal statements drawn from the slower, reflective section: I love you lord, and I lift my voice to worship you, O my soul rejoice and Lord, you know that we love you with a final flourish from Psalm 95: Come let us sing joy to the Lord!

Edited by corpsband

Interesting. (from crown's fb page)

It'll most likely be a part of the show. They played an arrangement of it at their February camp. I'm glad I saw this clip because I had no idea what it was when I first heard them play it

Edited by crownisking

It'll most likely be a part of the show. They played an arrangement of it at their February camp. I'm glad I saw this clip because I had no idea what it was when I first heard them play it

It's...so...weird.

Every time I hear a recording of it I think of Erte at WGI '85. Now that was a show way ahead of it's time.

Interesting. (from crown's fb page)

Mmmmmm. Philip Glass. Me gusta.