Carolina Crown 2013

I also feel like instead of conversing.. and actually writing out that you agree/disagree and reasons why... people just press +/- and call it a day. The conversations seemed more plentiful and meaningful before the addition of +/-.

Totally agree

• Like 1

I also feel like instead of conversing.. and actually writing out that you agree/disagree and reasons why... people just press +/- and call it a day. The conversations seemed more plentiful and meaningful before the addition of +/-.

Totally agree

I agree as well.

I understand the good intentions of the voting system. Anything that get's people to participate can be viewed as a net positive for a website.

Unfortunately that view is somewhat shortsighted. Many, many complaints here with regard to posts getting red neg'd. And many users abusing the voting system.

A partial fix would be to make votes public (like FB Likes). Then if you arbitrarily vote down a post, there's accountability. If you vote down every post a user makes, the rest of DCP will see it. If you red neg posts that are neutral / informative / positive you'll be called out as a vote troll.

A better fix : scrap the entire idea. I don't think there's a single positive contribution the votes have made. "Veteran" DCP'rs say they ignore them but I've seen everyone of those posters make comments about them (even as they claim to be ignoring them). Novices don't understand that bad posting etiquette will get you a slew of down votes. Trolls can hide anonymously.

If you have an opinion, share it in a post. It's a *discussion* forum. Let's discuss things.

(and this is WAY off topic for the Crown thread so ... back to your regularly scheduled Crown hype !!)

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 4

1369238568[/url]' post='3262162']

I agree as well.

I understand the good intentions of the voting system. Anything get's people to participate can be viewed as a net positive for a website.

Unfortunately that view is somewhat shortsighted. Many, many complaints here with regard to posts getting red neg'd. And many users abusing the voting system.

A partial fix would be to make votes public (like FB Likes). Then if you arbitrarily vote down a post, there's accountability. If you vote down every post a user makes, the rest of DCP will see it. If you red neg posts that are neutral / informative / positive you'll be called out as a vote troll.

A better fix : scrap the entire idea. I don't think there's a single positive contribution the votes have made. "Veteran" DCP'rs say they ignore them but I've seen everyone of those posters make comments about them (even as they claim to be ignoring them). Novices don't understand that bad posting etiquette will get you a slew of down votes. Trolls can hide anonymously.

If you have an opinion, share it in a post. It's a *discussion* forum. Let's discuss things.

(and this is WAY off topic for the Crown thread so ... back to your regularly scheduled Crown hype !!)

I'm actually a bigger fan of this idea. As you stated, the +/- thing can be good, and I'd bet my next paycheck that people wouldn't troll anymore if they knew they couldn't do it anonymously.

But back to the subject at hand: does anyone know how to find out when Crown will be doing ensemble at the stadium on any given day? I usually make the trip to GWU for a couple of days to see them practice but last year I would always come at the wrong times.

Edited by crownisking

I'm actually a bigger fan of this idea. As you stated, the +/- thing can be good, and I'd bet my next paycheck that people wouldn't troll anymore if they knew they couldn't do it anonymously.

But back to the subject at hand: does anyone know how to find out when Crown will be doing ensemble at the stadium on any given day? I usually make the trip to GWU for a couple of days to see them practice but last year I would always come at the wrong times.

pix of the daily schedule were going up on the Crown FB group last year -- maybe we can get that to happen again this year .

Ensemble warmup normally starts at 6pm with rehearsal starting around 6:45-7:00. I'm not sure how many nights they actually get to use the stadium during the week except for saturday.

I will be there this weekend volunteering.

Totally agree

^^

This is the reason the +/- system exists. Instead of creating an entirely new post that this thread must bear, you can simply like or dislike a post if you are just skimming a thread rather than sitting there thinking of something to say. I myself tend to read these threads while walking to and from jobs and don't have time to post all I want to, but I have a chance now to give my thoughts positively or negatively by giving a plus or minus!

That's why I gave the original post a "+" because I was not able to write out this little diddi until now!

+1

1369250991[/url]' post='3262200']

Ensemble warmup normally starts at 6pm with rehearsal starting around 6:45-7:00. I'm not sure how many nights they actually get to use the stadium during the week except for saturday.

I will be there this weekend volunteering.

I guess what I really should be asking is when is it ok to watch them rehearse? Usually if they're doing ensemble anywhere outdoors, I'll stick around and watch for a while but I've never gone in the gym because it just felt like somewhere I shouldn't be.

I believe everyone is welcome at anytime. Just respect their space, don't get in their way and you will be good. If there is a reason that something can not be viewed then they would and should make visitors aware of such. If your respectable and polite they will not run anyone off.

If you bring Posicles (and show up near a break) you will be doubly welcomed :-) You just have to bring a LOT if you're watching full ensemble !!

• Like 3