Carolina Crown 2013

WEEKEND UPDATE…

The MM remain in good spirits. The bumps and bruises as they wrap-up of the 3rd week of Spring Training are showing and the Monday time off until the nightly ensemble is well deserved and needed. There were many extra holes this weekend as some MM had obligations back home.

The entire corps has ¾ of the show on the field and will start the closer on Tuesday. They have been busting their rear ends learning their show. I’m not going to spill anything about the show or uniforms short of saying the typical……some will love, some will hate it, some are homers (guilty), and some just love to hate. Whatever floats your boat.

The source music has been posted and everyone should have a really good feel on Mr. Klesch’s arranging of those pieces, but what really excited for is the battery writing of Mr. Hannum. Not being a “Drum Guy”, was able to hear and enjoy his writing as it related to the brass book. I really like the parts in the “Also Sprach” and the “Einstein on the Beach” after the opener. Some really nice stuff there and very tasteful.

There also seems to be a different “Bigness” and “Presence” to the guard this year. I will willing admit that I typically don’t look at the guard (sorry Corpsband), but this weekend they kept drawing me in…”Impossible you say?”. Looking for some good things from this group.

There will be a “Preview” Sunday June 9 and I’m not sure on a time, but would guess about a 8pm. Hopefully the weather will hold off this year.

I look forward to your weekend updates. I respect that you must maintain some balance between informing us on progress and respecting Crown's desire to maintain some element of surprise at there "unavailing". Thanks for a great job!

• Like 5

Well, we'll just have to learn to be patient with the millenials then. As most of us here know ,they can go overboard with very strong opinions on things very early on sometimes.

Wait; are you implying that "the millenials" are someone how prone to go overboard with strong opinions than, say, the dinos?! :blink: :blink: :blink:

• Like 1

Perhaps this should be in another thread, but Crown fans will enjoy this story.

This past weekend New England suffered a heat wave. It was not all that bad, but the first heat wave at a time that is supposed to be comfortable can be taxing. Yesterday I had to open up a church building and decided to do it early. The air conditioning system had not yet been readied for the summer, so I figured the cool air would make the church a bit more bearable. Since I didn't expect to see anyone, I didn't pay to much attention to what I was wearing. I opened the doors and a man was ready to come in and enjoy some quiet time in the church prior to everyone arriving. After Mass I stood at the doors which is my usual custom, the same man walked up to me, shook my hand, and said "Father, after all this heat, I bet you're looking forward to a nice cold bottle of Carolina Crown." I thought it was a rather interesting remark and wondered where it came from, if there was a beer called Carolina Crown, and really wondered why an organization dedicated to youth arts would name itself after a beer. When I went back to my room after a busy day in the heat, I decided to change into shorts and a t-shirt and figured the one I grabbed in the morning was still clean. As I noticed, it was last year's Carolina Crown t-shirt.

• Like 4

Perhaps this should be in another thread, but Crown fans will enjoy this story.

This past weekend New England suffered a heat wave. It was not all that bad, but the first heat wave at a time that is supposed to be comfortable can be taxing. Yesterday I had to open up a church building and decided to do it early. The air conditioning system had not yet been readied for the summer, so I figured the cool air would make the church a bit more bearable. Since I didn't expect to see anyone, I didn't pay to much attention to what I was wearing. I opened the doors and a man was ready to come in and enjoy some quiet time in the church prior to everyone arriving. After Mass I stood at the doors which is my usual custom, the same man walked up to me, shook my hand, and said "Father, after all this heat, I bet you're looking forward to a nice cold bottle of Carolina Crown." I thought it was a rather interesting remark and wondered where it came from, if there was a beer called Carolina Crown, and really wondered why an organization dedicated to youth arts would name itself after a beer. When I went back to my room after a busy day in the heat, I decided to change into shorts and a t-shirt and figured the one I grabbed in the morning was still clean. As I noticed, it was last year's Carolina Crown t-shirt.

This story could only be made better by a pic of you in the tshirt and shorts :-)

I'll just add...as much as the kids in the corps are looking forward to the West Coast trip, they are REALLY sad to be missing the Fourth in New England. It's always one the best parts of tour for Crown!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

I heard Crown and Pacific Crest will be playing an arrangement together at the "Corps at the Crest" show in Walnut, CA.

• Like 1

I think it is great they are coming but it doesn't look like they are getting any free time to enjoy the places here. I hope they get a free day in SF or LA to enjoy them self.

I think it is great they are coming but it doesn't look like they are getting any free time to enjoy the places here. I hope they get a free day in SF or LA to enjoy them self.

CA is free time compared to the east/midwest weather!

I think there's a free day in CA and a free day in Vegas.