What are the qualifications to lead a drum corps

I've read over the last few of announcements concerning the leadership of new and start up drum corps. I noticed that if 50 were announced, the leadership of 48 were questioned. Of course several reasons are given, from lack of experience to youth.

My question to the galley is what do you feel makes a person qualified to run or start a drum corps?

My thought would be that the job description would vary from corps to corps. But there are some general characteristics that would be needed. I am basing what I say from knowing what is needed to run a non-profit and applying specifics to drum corps.

First and foremost the person would need a strong business and organizational background. The person has to be able to manage a budget of anywhere from $500,000 to $1,000,000 plus. The person would have to be able to manage personnel and volunteers, both of which need specific skill sets to manage. The director needs to have a knowledge of drum corps and to know but also be aware of what he/she does not know and have the best people around to fill the gaps. Secondary skills would include an understanding of young people and how to meet the needs of varied aged kids from high school kids away from home for the first time to college students who have been on their own in dormitories and might resent rules and regulations. Then there are fundraising/development skills that would be necessary to fund the corps which means schmoozing alums and fans and balance those who want a corps to be the same as it was forty years ago and those who want the corps to move forward. Finally, the director would probably be paid about half of what someone with similar skill sets would make in the business world, so the person has to have a generous heart and if a spouse and children are involved, an understanding family.

I don't really have an opinion on the matter but IIRC David Glasgow aged out as the drum major for Bluecoats in 2000 and was the corps director by 2004. He may have been really young when he took over but he seems to have done really well and the corps has thrived under his leadership.

• Like 3

I've read over the last few of announcements concerning the leadership of new and start up drum corps. I noticed that if 50 were announced, the leadership of 48 were questioned. Of course several reasons are given, from lack of experience to youth.

My question to the galley is what do you feel makes a person qualified to run or start a drum corps?

Most important: he/she must be vetted by Stu ! ph34r.gif

• Like 3

A good head for business, a lot of common sense, you're in it for the love of the activity and not to make a quick buck, a good work ethic & the ability to think on your feet if things go t*ts up... because at some point they probably will.

Actual Drum Corps experience would be great but is optional.

I don't really have an opinion on the matter but IIRC David Glasgow aged out as the drum major for Bluecoats in 2000 and was the corps director by 2004. He may have been really young when he took over but he seems to have done really well and the corps has thrived under his leadership.

Glasgow has seen the corps through some very scary times especially 2008. I also remember Fred Morrison being questioned but he has done an outstanding job.

• Like 1

Glasgow has seen the corps through some very scary times especially 2008. I also remember Fred Morrison being questioned but he has done an outstanding job.

this was strange, but probably good... I'm pretty sure Fred had a business background rather than an arts background, which might contribute to his ability to be successful. I think he's also helped DCI negotiate some bulk deals on things that all corps use? I feel like I remember some articles on DCI.org about this.

David Glasgow was the DM in both 2000 and 2001 (ageing out in 2001)

well, being dumb enough to want the thankless job has to be #1 on the list

• Like 2