Hardest Hornline Books

As far as mellophones are concerned, it's challenging impossible to find books more difficult than Star of Indiana's 1991 "Roman Images" show.

Edited for accuracy. :tongue:

I don't think I saw it on here, but Cadets 1991 was a very demanding program.

Between the rhythmic foundations of Short Ride in a Fast Machine, the harmonic structures of Copland's Letter From Home, and the difficult to play with a big band, let alone on the field Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs, make me think of this show.

• Like 2

How about the 1991 Blue Devils?

Tough book... ridiculously good performance level. :thumbup:

• Like 4

One aspect of difficulty is how much the hornline has to play without breaks. Some books out their may not have a lot of technical difficulty, but they just pound your face in. Add the visual difficulty to that, then it's hard to breathe.

Okay...one more time. I refer you to my screed above about putting some context into throwing out dates of corps shows.

Not doing so would be like me stating, "I remember January 9, 2007, thinking, 'Well, this changes everything,'" and not mentioning that the date was when Steve Jobs unveiled the original iPhone.

Some of you are gonna have some 'splainin' to do if I get to Heaven before you and manage to get myself on the good side of St. Peter.

• Like 1