Time for a Revolution in Footwear

All is good. :)

Just be ready for a knock on your door from the Dinkles folks. :tongue:

Some folks have way too much time on their hands.

:lle:/> all in good fun,

Fred O.

Seems you throw this one out fairly often, Fred (990's thread? Remember? :tongue:/> )

More accurate is probably: Odd how people spend what little time they have.

c'est la vie

:rolleyes:/> All in good fun,

garf

Do hornlines allow players to practice on whatever mouthpiece they want, but perform with everyone on the same show mouthpiece?

Do drumlines allow players to practice on whatever sticks they want, but perform on the same show sticks?

Professional dancers use the same make/model of shoes for rehearsals as performances.

Professional athletes practice in the same type of shoes they use for games.

The extremely high level of athletic demand and precision of execution these days requires something different than the status quo. It is definitely time to step up the game here. I think the activity has reached a level of maturity (in both execution and experience in dealing with brands/manufacturers for R&D, promotion, etc.) where this is now feasible.

True enough. But do we need special shoes designed for corps? Just from a cost perspective, there has got to be something already on the market that would work. Let's not forget that some kids might have great shoes for practice, and whatever you make them wear in uniform might suck for them. Wearing a sucky shoe isn't bad for a few hours at night, including 15 minutes on the field, but being forced to wear a special shoe all day.....I'm not feeling that at all.

And if one wanted to take your argument to the extreme, why not practice in a full practice uniform? Many corps do run throughs with shakos and shoes, or a visual block with aussies and matching corps tee shirts. Why not have a practice uniform the mimics the show uni? Full pants and jacket, head gear, shoes...etc.

Oregon's got a great band and look, but you can't use their uniforms as a sign that Nike or anyone similar is going in the marching direction. As most should know, Nike was founded by Oregon alums and they donate very generously to the school, which includes syncing the uniforms of anything remotely athletic on campus.

As far as shoes are concerned, the current modern offerings for marching shoes are actually quite good. And I'm not talking about Dinkles, which I have found to be heavy and uncomfortable. Vipers and the System Blue Super Drillmasters are constructed very intelligently to allow for all sorts of ridiculous drill moves the modern marcher must perform while providing good and durable support to last a season and in all sorts of conditions. Not to mention, they tend to be reasonably priced. Most corps and bands are able to get a subsidized price at $30 or less per pair.

In my opinion, there are plenty of places to reinvent the wheel with regard to drum corps. Right now, shoes is not one of them.