G7 Update

Oops. I see that UNCSQ offered the same suggestion nine days ago:

I've never seen The Big Lebowski, but UNCSQ's analysis reminds me of a New York article earlier this month about the "fiscal-cliff" negotations that referenced that movie, and this line (by John Goodman's character) in particular: "Without a hostage there is no ransom. That's what ransom is. Those are the $*#@&%! rules!"

Not to get off topic, but in response to your post - - - check out The Big Lebowski. I enjoyed it!

• Like 1

really? we're comparing a leaked email between DCI directors to Watergate stuff? really

wow

I was being sarcastic

Well, Michael Boo cited Deep Throat in the thread's fourteenth post, more than a week ago.

oh, I thought he was talking about the movie

:ph34r:/>

One more thought...

Again, from the 990s:

TOTAL REVENUE:

2009: $8,592,976

2010: $8,838,914

2011: $9,722, 125

TOTAL EXPENSES:

2009: $8,542,134

2010: $8,875,705

2011: $9,429,827

REVENUE LESS EXPENSES:

2009: $50,842

2010: ($36,791) a loss

2011: $292,298

So, in addition to the, roughly, $400,000 more that DCI paid out in "show expenses", they also added nearly $300,000 towards the G7's goal of building a $500,000 "reserve" (from the '10 G7 presentation). So, is DCI really broken? Is it on the edge of insolvency? Is it inept in its management of the activity's goal of paying out the maximum to the corps?

Something changed in the past couple of years. Maybe it was DCI getting off their butts and doing better. Maybe it was the economy. Maybe it was the fear induced by the G7. Who knows?

But if we assume that they are beginning to right the ship and the benefits are starting to accrue, I wonder if the G7 has considered that, if they leave, they won't be a part of whatever it is that DCI is doing to attain that success.

If I were DCI, I'd not share their future plans with the 7 until that group capitulates and agrees to get off the bus and help push.

To share those details with the 7 will only give them the chance to use that info against DCI and to their own benefit.

The 7 don't need a seat at the voting table to be a part of whatever it is that brought DCI success in the past couple of years. The fact is that they weren't at the table, and DCI turned a nice profit. What does that say?

Nobody seems to have replied to this post, which I think should not be overlooked. If DCI is doing as well for SE7EN as garfield's information seems to indicate, why are they agitating again?

• Like 1

oh, I thought he was talking about the movie

:ph34r:/>/>

Nice, Jeff. I've heard about the movie, but I quiver (in a bad way) just thinking of the possible content. That's why I try to stick with Pixar.

Has it been decided that DCI is a marching band circuit now?

It always has been.

Mike: I'm hoping that by now we can all agree that when we talk about DCI, a whole set of criteria, experiences and fan reactions sweeps us in a unique manner that is (to us at least) a special and cherished thing to embrace.

So, no matter what taxonomy we apply to our niche of the marching activities, when we say "drum corps" instead of "marching band," we have this notion in our minds that makes us reflect fondly on the past and anticipate the coming season with impatience and speculation. Taken as an activity from sea to shining sea, we are a lot closer to each other as fans than people who follow marching bands, simply because we aren't basically a localized activity for more of the season with a couple major events at the end that groups from around the country may or may not attend. Drum corps, on the junior and senior level, aims towards the last show of the season knowing that for the most part, all the top groups will get together in a festival of excellence unlike anything else on earth.

And if it isn't unlike anything else on earth...that's our prerogative as well. That's how we think, that's how we roll.

So...drum corps is not just a marching band circuit, it is an unquantifiable essence in our hearts and souls that transcends simply classification as nothing more than marching band. And those who feel that will always stand up and proclaim that we simply can't be pigeonholed in with every proud group that goes out there in the fall and plays their school victory song every time their team scores a touchdown.

• Like 4

Nobody seems to have replied to this post, which I think should not be overlooked. If DCI is doing as well for SE7EN as garfield's information seems to indicate, why are they agitating again?

When you get into the deeper numbers and how things are structured, there are clearly some issues... a large line of credit used to putty over the cracks, for example.

When you get into the deeper numbers and how things are structured, there are clearly some issues... a large line of credit used to putty over the cracks, for example.

How large? Can the $292,000 that garfield cites DCI as having netted in 2011 (and was there more in 2012?) enable them to reduce reliance on that line of credit?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

A line of credit would show up as an unsecured liability on the balance sheet. There is none in the 2011 DCI 990.

Some issues with reflecting the 990's numbers?

Some issues that suggest DCI's $300m in net assets are not real, or that they're only real because of Steve Vickers' gift?

Some nefarious issues in how the auditor is reporting the numbers?

Please, Dan, don't be coy. If you have substantiated knowledge that show the 990's don't reflect DCI's position either don't say anything out of respect for confidentiality or put up your contention for us all to see.

• Like 1

A line of credit would show up as an unsecured liability on the balance sheet. There is none in the 2011 DCI 990.

Some issues with reflecting the 990's numbers?

Some issues that suggest DCI's $300m in net assets are not real, or that they're only real because of Steve Vickers' gift?

Some nefarious issues in how the auditor is reporting the numbers?

Please, Dan, don't be coy. If you have substantiated knowledge that show the 990's don't reflect DCI's position either don't say anything out of respect for confidentiality or put up your contention for us all to see.

Well, this is one of those cases where the 990's are telling a story, but not the whole story. There are a lot of ways in which things might be categorized or classified that technically correct from a reporting picture, but do not reflect the operational reality.

Nothing wrong with that, really, as the 990's are not really about sharing operational reality. 990's also do not show info in real-time or reflect what changes may soon occur (say 2014, for example), which could possibly paint a different picture.