G7 looking for controlling vote.

I am not aware of any competitive 'marching band' in which the school or booster club purchases the trumpets (sopranos). The trumpets (sopranos) are either purchased, or leased from a store, by each individual trumpet student. So, were are you getting this notion that scholastic systems with progressive marching bands will purchase all of these new wonderful "G" sopranos?

Perhaps you are not as aware as you think.

The last 4 schools I ahve worked with in various regions of the country have relied on booster organizations for the purchase of brass and percussion equipment. Common occurrence unfortunately.

You know those "Save the music" campaigns you see everywhere? those come from the fact that schools are cutting programs left and right. Sadly, most of the time when a school starts cutting away from music, the marching stuff is first to go.

• Like 2

Not if LOS SIETE get their way. They want to make it harder for other corps to succeed, and make their own current status permanent.

Completely untrue. And impossible.

No matter what the people you refer as "LOS SIETE" do, they dont have any power over the business practices, recruiting ability, fundraising or any other efforts of any other corps.

• Like 2

Exactly. This is the crap you read all of the time. Its not so much "how to fix drum corps" talk as it is "im bitter that corps I dont like keep winning and I want to change that".

Thats why people are on here talking about how to limit corps that worked hard to build what they have over decades. I cant believe people actually think Blue Devils, Cadets etc should be penalized for building their organizations the way they did.

I'd like for you to point out the posts where people have said corps should be penalized.

• Like 1

Exactly. This is the crap you read all of the time. Its not so much "how to fix drum corps" talk as it is "im bitter that corps I dont like keep winning and I want to change that".

Thats why people are on here talking about how to limit corps that worked hard to build what they have over decades. I cant believe people actually think Blue Devils, Cadets etc should be penalized for building their organizations the way they did.

no... the talk is how to stop the "big" corps (some of which are quite unstable financially) from taking down the activity that we all love.

• Like 1

Perhaps you are not as aware as you think.

The last 4 schools I ahve worked with in various regions of the country have relied on booster organizations for the purchase of brass and percussion equipment. Common occurrence unfortunately.

You know those "Save the music" campaigns you see everywhere? those come from the fact that schools are cutting programs left and right. Sadly, most of the time when a school starts cutting away from music, the marching stuff is first to go.

I am as aware as I think: Many high schools and hs boosters will purchase Low Brass like Bb Baritones and Bb Tubas because of their high individual costs; but not many, if any, of these high schools will purchase a full line of marching 'trumpets' regardless of the key.

I am as aware as I think: Many high schools and hs boosters will purchase Low Brass like Bb Baritones and Bb Tubas because of their high individual costs; but not many, if any, of these high schools will purchase a full line of marching 'trumpets' regardless of the key.

I think, therefor I am.

But I wonder if I am anyway.

:tongue:/>

• Like 1

You are kidding, right? How many times have the BD and Cadets won DCI under those two people? They each have won the most recent two years. Heck, over the last 5 finals, BD won 3 and the Cadets 1..that is 4 out of 5.

Just because they win doesnt mean they should run the business side of DCI... Cadets have run into money troubles in the past(Under Hopkins), tho in not sure BD has or not but saying that just because they have won that much doesnt really say much for financial stability. There is the BUSINESS side of DCI, and the PERFORMING side. they are obviously very good at the latter, however, i wouldnt agree that they are exactly the best role models for who should be running DCI... after all they were on the BoD while DCI heading toward this mess..

Just because they win doesnt mean they should run the business side of DCI... Cadets have run into money troubles in the past(Under Hopkins), tho in not sure BD has or not but saying that just because they have won that much doesnt really say much for financial stability. There is the BUSINESS side of DCI, and the PERFORMING side. they are obviously very good at the latter, however, i wouldnt agree that they are exactly the best role models for who should be running DCI... after all they were on the BoD while DCI heading toward this mess..

I was responding to this statement...

"I don’t think the DCI model is broken, I think Gibbs and Hopkins model is broken and won’t work in DCI so perhaps, they need to go"

I agree that it is not the norm, but it does happen. I have seen bands that have purchased a line of horns from trumpets through tubas to get a consistent "drum corps look".

It was painfully hard, back in the day, to get a line of monster players to be able to play in tune on a set of G frankenhorns.

There is absolutely no sense to having younger, less experienced players, go thorough the frustration of playing on inferior horns... 1

I bet that's what professional trombone players say when they are forced to play Euphonium on a few pieces that require it per year! w00t.giftongue.gif