Trombones

I was thinking about the video of the Western Carolina University Marching Band show for 2012. It was an absolutely fantastic show. One of the camera angles showed the trombone section. I can understand why the trombones are in a marching band, but why not drum corps? I know I'm young and don't know much, but I thought that it was just woodwinds that weren't supposed to be on the field. So why are there no trombones in a drum corps show? Is the answer widely known, or is it a closely guarded secret that no one knows?

• Like 1

27th Lancers used a Trombonium (G bugle, 2 valve trombone (no slide)).

The rules have always been specific that the brass instruments must be bell forward (no concert french horns or baritones) with x number of valves. Its my understanding that its the slide that makes trombones illegal under DCI rules.

Surf's drum major did play a pbone last year, early season, as a gag. They had to stop doing this because of a rules violation, but it was because he was playing it from the podium.

A trombone in the key of G may have been allowable once upon a time, depending on how the rules were written. Either there were no such instruments, or no interest in using them in drum corps.

Worth noting that when bugles had one (or zero) valves, some buglers achieved different notes by pulling slides. This practice was limited to a half step pitch change, though, so no long slides like that of the trombone ever came into play.

When the key change was passed in DCI, the rule allowed bell-front, valved instruments in any key, but specifically excluded trombones and sousaphones. Thought process was to retain the visual uniformity of the brass instrumentation in drum corps.

Callawyn and cixelsyd are correct. Also, valve trombones don't fit into the visual integrity of bell-front horns because of the long slide. Perhaps some day...but not now.

In 1976, I saw a prototype trombone bugle in G demoed at a Cavaliers rehearsal. It was an actual slide trombone bugle...not a trombonium. I've wondered if it ever turned into a lamp.

Edited by Michael Boo

Callawyn and cixelsyd are correct. Also, valve trombones don't fit into the visual integrity of bell-front horns because of the long slide. Perhaps some day...but not now.

In 1976, I saw a prototype trombone bugle in G demoed at a Cavaliers rehearsal. It was an actual slide trombone bugle...not a trombonium. I've wondered if it ever turned into a lamp.

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

hahahahahaha

:tongue:/> :tongue:/> :tongue:/>

hahahahahaha

Well, you've got to admit it would be easier to adjust height-wise.

27th Lancers used a Trombonium (G bugle, 2 valve trombone (no slide)).

Madison had I think 6 tromboniums back in '79, a number of them wound up with MBI and the now defunct Jesse James Gang from Northfield, MN.

Hey Mike - there's only ONE guy to ask...Calling Kenny Norman... :thumbup:/>

BTW - Ken has posted a picture of Madison's Tromboniums a number of times..One of my friends is in that picture - Andy Pray from St. Paul (Rivermen and MBI)

Pat :ph34r:/>

I hear about this a lot on the youtube...

Of course, they're against the rules right now.

I think they might not be in the future, but I don't see any corps using them for a whole section on the field for a whole show. They are a visual nightmare to clean, not to mention music wise.

• Like 1