Trombones

No, I'm simply stating a fact that the disctontinuation of the top band activity's use of trombones (run by the same creative visionaries) proves that it's clearly not a part of their vision.

For now. So it would seem that there would be no danger of making them legal, since nobody intends to use them. And a future, better visionary might want to use them, so why not? As the OP said, they are brass instruments, and so it makes a lot more sense to allow them than to allow woodwinds or synthesizers.

Obviously I'm playing devil's advocate... but my overall point is, it seems that rules are made not on the basis of what the activity is, but instead on what a few people seem to wish they were doing instead.

If a corps actually wanted to utilize the trombone, I'd imagine them using bass trumpets, which are essentially marching trombones.

• Like 1

If a corps actually wanted to utilize the trombone, I'd imagine them using bass trumpets, which are essentially marching trombones.

Yes and no. While they may look the same, they do sound very different. And bass trumpets are so rare to use, unless you're doing Wagnerian opera. Corps seem to have enough trouble selling off their inventory of standard marching horns, I couldn't imagine them trying to unload a section of bass trumpets somewhere. I think if anyone takes the plunge, it will either be with marching trombones, like Kanstul still makes, or full-fledged trombones. Good thing I'm aged-out, because I would not want to deal with a trombone section in corps as well as real life. :tongue:

A trombone in the key of G may have been allowable once upon a time, depending on how the rules were written. Either there were no such instruments, or no interest in using them in drum corps.

Actually, there is a Trombone in G. The old bass trombone used in England was pitched in G. It was a "straight" trombone with no valves and you had to use a handle to reach the outer positions as it was quite a bit larger than the Bb tenor trombone (see photo link). A friend of mine had one and let me play it. Strange experience--playing a 1st position "Bb" and it coming out a "G".

Definitely, not a marching instrument.

Photos

So..... Ciambassos anyone? By some weird loophole, I can't see why those wouldn't be legal. The logistics of carrying them would be crazy, but they are bell front, with valves.

So..... Ciambassos anyone? By some weird loophole, I can't see why those wouldn't be legal. The logistics of carrying them would be crazy, but they are bell front, with valves.

Only for a Verdi-heavy show tongue.gif

Only for a Verdi-heavy show tongue.gif

I like the idea! Now, someone do it!

Yes and no. While they may look the same, they do sound very different. And bass trumpets are so rare to use, unless you're doing Wagnerian opera. Corps seem to have enough trouble selling off their inventory of standard marching horns, I couldn't imagine them trying to unload a section of bass trumpets somewhere. I think if anyone takes the plunge, it will either be with marching trombones, like Kanstul still makes, or full-fledged trombones. Good thing I'm aged-out, because I would not want to deal with a trombone section in corps as well as real life. :tongue:/>/>

I agree. I'm more of a traditionalist - though I'm more hip on modern drum corps than ever. Drum corps, in spite of evolving away from bugles, still retains a unique sound. I think trombones would take away from the sound that so many of us enjoy and respond to in the activity. And, speaking of the front ensemble, their added voices provide more options for today's arrangers.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1