Big Announcement from DCI coming Friday

Having spent time with John DeNovi discussing what he viewed on his trip to Asia a couple months ago, and having a little bit of an idea how this might be activated and nurtured on a grassroots level, I'm more than willing to stick my neck out and state that what's going on here is exciting, has the potential to bring many more people into the DCI sphere and is just what we need to be doing to make DCI MORE inclusive.

I also think John should really try to bring in the DCE and DCJ contingents on this . . .more people need to see Kidsgrove Scouts, Inspires, The Company and everyone else around the world.

. . perhaps a live stream of DCE (or more coverage of the one they do), or putting DCE/DCJ stuff on Fan Network?

Show the global reach that drum corps actually has.

Meh...My only concern is will this new venture take away any time and money from the current DCI structure? It's not a bad thing to branch out, but usually only when you have a solid base of the original structure. With all of the corps that have folded and the talk of the G7 leaving still, is it the right time? Just wondering.

Meh...My only concern is will this new venture take away any time and money from the current DCI structure? It's not a bad thing to branch out, but usually only when you have a solid base of the original structure. With all of the corps that have folded and the talk of the G7 leaving still, is it the right time? Just wondering.

Well, this could be a way to keep Glassmen kids (and/or their alumni) involved at a minimal time/money commitment. From the article on dci.org:

Arnold continued, “These initiatives will also provide new opportunities to rekindle competitive flames for formerly competitive drum corps organizations from throughout the USA, Canada and beyond, as well as other types of performing groups who have become dormant. They could also be a startup boost to fledgling organizations working to become established..."

Glassmen alumni want to keep a little bit of exposure? Here's an opportunity.

Star United want to perform in front of a larger audience (and want to win more competitions :tongue: )? Here you go.

HS kids who dig drum corps, want to be involved, but can't afford to march? Get some friends together and have at it.

I'm not sure this is going to be a huge financial commitment for DCI to get involved in, and it's something that potentially could be great in many ways. If nothing else, MAJOR kudos to DCI for thinking outside the box and trying something new! :thumbup:

• Like 1

I think it's a wise choice in that DCI's current activity is highly seasonal, and they would benefit from having more and more varied revenue sources that run around the calendar, not just focused over eight weeks in the summer. A lot of their resources and expertise can be used right away with these new activities without having to make new investments in equipment, staff, training, partnerships, infrastructure, or anything, really. IOW, this is exactly the right move, with large-scale drum corps fading--diversify into related areas that require little new investment, but can help you survive bumps in the road of your primary activity.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 2

If nothing else, MAJOR kudos to DCI for thinking outside the box and trying something new! :thumbup:

Agreed, 100%. These is the kind of new ideas that have a chance of keeping DCI healthy, growing the audience and the participation, all while recognizing the realities of the present.

• Like 2