Back in the good ol' days...

Hey, Boo! Wouldn't this kid be great to interview for a story on DCI.org?!?

I agree...and then I could offer him my job. :tongue:

Seriously...I'm passing your idea on to my editor.

• Like 1

LOL... honest to God, I have no idea which brand(s) of shoes I wore while marching. All I remember is... I had shoes on. :tongue:/>/>

Only remember cuz the white bucs I wore for HS band (Fall 72) we were told to get to Hushpuppies. Think they were the only store who sold the #### things. Bought the brush and white chalk to "clean" them. Later found out "that #### don't work, cover it in white shoe polish". 3 years in band, 5 yrs of white shoes in Westshore and one Fall in college MB where I used black magic marker for the side of the sole (why?) and white model paint to switch back to DC white side of soles. *jeesh*

Then in 79 Westshore went to the new unis and black shoes.... LOL bought then at Hills Dept Store in Indiana, PA while at college. Had them buggers for years as my dress shoes. No wonder my toes are screwed up....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I see..its " that simple ".

So, if the G7 should decide to go out on their own outside DCI, since this number of corps is" down by more than half ", following your " simple " reasoning thats easy to understand, their attendance they draw at shows will be " down by more than half ".

You probably have a point and if the assessment is correct, its probably one of the principal reasons they havn't left.

The discussion has been about champs attendance between "then" and "now", not the attendance at tour events spread around the country. That would be a different discussion...to compare DCI Regionals to potential MiM tour events.

Personally, I don't think we will, for this reason: The drum corps season is during the summer. Competitive high school marching bands start putting their field show together during the time of the DCI tour. Perhaps if both groups used the same music and had the drill written so woodwinds could be added for the fall with minimal changes.

I agree on this. Not to mention the added time and cost of basically doubling the season at a time when maintaining the status quo is not all that easy.

Having said that, given that there are 25K+ HS in the country with bands at varying levels, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen on a one-off basis, but not in any appreciable number that would make much of an impact.

I see..its " that simple ".

So, if the G7 should decide to go out on their own outside DCI, since this number of corps is" down by more than half ", following your " simple " reasoning thats easy to understand, their attendance they draw at shows will be " down by more than half ".

You probably have a point and if the assessment is correct, its probably one of the principal reasons they havn't left.

I'm not suggesting any precise mathematical correlation when I say a decline in the number of corps explains the decline in finals attendance. Nor do I know any reliable formula that would predict attendance for G7 only finals.

As for G7 projections about a possible G7 only finals, I agree that they should be concerned about the impact of fewer corps on ticket sales. That said, they might be thinking about a different financial model. They already draw for the NJ Meadowlands show maybe half of the finals night crowd? They might be wondering what they could expect if G7 didn't show in Allentown? They'd lose some traditionl supporters. Could they pick up enough to offset those? Maybe more? Against a more streamlined economic model, could such a show generate sufficient revenue?

Another big question for them might be electronic. Could they replicate the digital sales DCI now commands for finals (as well as other shows)? There are costs behind Fan Network and DVD products for which G7 currently lacks capital. Ticket sales alone might not be enough to sustain the G7. So do they have a way to monetize their product digitally too?

I think these are challenges that limit the flexibility of both sides.

HH

I enjoy this young man's (David) videos. He has a sidekick as well and my guess is the two alternate filming. His comments remind me a bit of an experience I witnessed at the CYO Nationals in 1978. I was a high schooler in the stands and Phantom performed. They opened with Stravinsky and some of the people around me erupted in anger. Phantom did not play "songs." Bridgemen were ruining drum corps. 27th and BAC were sloppy. I know I probably should have fought to defend their honor for such an untrue claim, but I didn't need to: BAC was pretty formidable and with some of the legendary bus troubles 27th seemed to have, they could have run them over as they headed to their cars and claimed the brakes went and no one would have doubted it. Blue Stars "hotpants," tame even in their day, were also scandalous. I can't recall the other horrors in their eyes, but they left before scores were announced and claimed they were never going to attend again. My guess is they marched in the 50's and 60's. Today these classic shows are all considered "old school." I also appreciated that David has insight to know one day he'll be an old crank, however, he points to 2033 as the time he'll be in a rocker and complaining. David, let me reassure you, you'll only be 40 or so, your life will hardly be over and you won't be sitting in a rocker, you'll be working and trying to figure out how your going to pay for your own kids' education and allow them the opportunity to march drum corps. Maybe you'll even be earning a living a s a director of a drum corps!

I think this video is also hopeful. Those of us old enough to remember a drum corps on every corner, at least in New England and New Jersey, look at the number of corps today and feel sad. When a venerable corps like Glassmen find themselves on hiatus, it makes matters worse. Also, with all the G7 talk, it's easy to be pessimistic. David and probably many others like him who populate drum corps today have the same pride, work ethic, and love of performing and competing that has been a drum corps staple for years. The activity may be healthier than we realize.

Edited by Tim K