All corps in presidential inaugural parades

The pride Boston Crusaders brought to drum corps has me wondering...What are all the corps that have marched in presidential inaugural parades and when?

I've found info that Spartans have marched in four such parades, but I've also found info that they marched in five.

Which corps has traveled the farthest to be in the parade?

The pride Boston Crusaders brought to drum corps has me wondering...What are all the corps that have marched in presidential inaugural parades and when?

I've found info that Spartans have marched in four such parades, but I've also found info that they marched in five.

I would like to add a question and then answer it and one of yours.....

In 1985, I was on staff with the 20th Maine Regiment, from Waterville, Maine. We travelled to Washington, DC for President Reagan's re-election Inauguration in two buses with 76 members. Due to an all-out blizzard and sub-freezing temps, the parade was cancelled.

Two months later, we received a call to attend the 1985 Inaugural Parade Part II. So, in May of 1985, we flew the entire drum corps to Disney World in Orlando, FL and marched in the parade for President Reagan. FWIW, the airfare, 4 days hotel, admission to Disney, and 3 meals a day were PAID by the Maine Republican Party.

So, I would think that TWO trips to the 1985 event, including one from Maine to Florida and back, might well qualify as the farthest travelled.

• Like 2

DCA's Empire Statesmen marched in the 2000 parade.

I'm pretty sure that the legendary All Girl Drum & Bugle Corps, the Audubon Bon Bons, marched in the 1956 or 1960 Presidential Inauguration Day Parade, representing the state of New Jersey. I saw an older picture of them going by the reviewing stand a few years back that was posted on the historical site section here on DCP.

Edited by BRASSO

NanciDs history blog has a few lesser known corps mentioned but can't remember off the top of my head.

Below is from the PA Drum Corps Hall of Fame website. News article from a Black newspaper about FDRs inaguration and parade. For us history or parade buffs it's an interesting read.

1933parade-GreenTorjans

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Cleveland Caballaros, January, 1973. Traveled by train to DC from Cleveland, Ohio. We were greeted at the rail yard by then Cleveland mayor, Ralph Perk (who became famous for his hair that caught fire) ... fitting since our river caught fire too! (please, no Cleveland jokes! - it's a pretty cool city). We performed in Richard Nixon's inaugural (who would soon be impeached and resign from office).

Ok, all you inaugural parade performers, can anyone top that? :thumbup:/>/>/>/>/>/>

Edited by drumcorpsfever

I believe there were 13 D & BC in JFK's 1961 parade. One of the senior corps from North Carolina marched in one of Eisenhower's inaugurals in the 1950s. CBS showed a commercial over their appearance, and the whole town was outraged. CBS actually filmed a clip of the corps later to placate the corps and the town and aired the spot on Edward R. Murrow's show.

Edited by Northern Thunder
  • Like 1