More SoundSport and DrumLine Battle details released

I think WGI has the artistic side of indoor percussion and guard market cornered.

The "Battle" concept, however, is much more oriented toward the HBCU/show-band tradition and much more accessible to the general public. I don't think WGI would see any blip from this.

And SoundSport, while having similar floor dimensions now (30'x30' was just too small), is again reaching out to ensembles of almost any instrumentation, does not step on WGI's toes. They cater to a more specific set-up.

We all wanted DCI to develop a more effective outreach and reconnect with the heritage of "Hey kid, here's a horn... go stand over in that rank and file and we'll teach you some notes" that drum corps grew from.

• Like 1

I think WGI has the artistic side of indoor percussion and guard market cornered.

The "Battle" concept, however, is much more oriented toward the HBCU/show-band tradition and much more accessible to the general public. I don't think WGI would see any blip from this.

And SoundSport, while having similar floor dimensions now (30'x30' was just too small), is again reaching out to ensembles of almost any instrumentation, does not step on WGI's toes. They cater to a more specific set-up.

We all wanted DCI to develop a more effective outreach and reconnect with the heritage of "Hey kid, here's a horn... go stand over in that rank and file and we'll teach you some notes" that drum corps grew from.

This brings up a point that I think people are missing:

Even from the broad descriptions we've so far read, it seems pretty clear that the Drumline Battle is a VERY different animal than WGI:

* instrument must be carried (i.e. no grounded front ensemble instruments)

* no age limit

* marching optional

* 1:30 - 2:00 min. maximum while WGI has a maximum 6-8 min. performance time (depending on classification)

* competition via internet

* seemingly minimal adjudication consideration for technical demand or precision: all about entertainment

* summer competition, when WGI is most out-of-season (i.e. every unit is essentially "closed" during the spring/summer months) - i.e. there are no scheduling conflicts

I honestly think that Drumline Battle negatively affecting WGI is like suggesting the local Battle of the Bands is going to affect DCI. If anything, this could be great for WGI units, as they could make some extra money from members for potentially minimal expense: while also gaining added exposure which could help build interest in their organization.

• Like 4

I do like what they are doing... fantastic internationally, but..... they've started a war with WGI.

That part ain't good at all.

I don't see it as a war. I see it as offering something WGi doesn't.

having been to Dayton a few times now...they're overloaded with groups. the schedules are packed each day, guard and percussion, and they are maxed at available venues to use. If WGi added dance and twirling like some local/regional circuits have, they'd explode, and at least one of those I am very familiar with is logistically bursting at the seams...if they added SS, I'm not sure how they'd get it in on championships weekend.

WGI ..... IS the indoor activity.

As I understand now... WGI and G7 directors has NO IDEA about this initiative until after it happened.

This point is sloppy, amateur and could cause a turf war. DCI will definitely lose here, as WGI OWNS scholastic.

Again, think the concept is great... execution is a bit amateurish, sadly.

WGI is the apex of the indoor activity, as DCI is to outdoor. it's not everything. Hell, there are indoor circuits out there that still use their own sheets and not the WGi sheets

• Like 1

Let's walk through this rationally...

WGI has decades of trust with educators in America. WGI is built on top of the scholastic model.

DCI has stepped on to their turf without even discussion beforehand. This is not cool. It will not be positive in the US, speaking about potential reaction from WGI. DCI is small fry here.

WGI is built on the Independents calling the shots. There's just more scholastic units out there to swell the numbers. WGI wasn't born from schools, it was born from indy's.

This brings up a point that I think people are missing:

Even from the broad descriptions we've so far read, it seems pretty clear that the Drumline Battle is a VERY different animal than WGI:

* instrument must be carried (i.e. no grounded front ensemble instruments)

* no age limit

* marching optional

* 1:30 - 2:00 min. maximum while WGI has a maximum 6-8 min. performance time (depending on classification)

* competition via internet

* seemingly minimal adjudication consideration for technical demand or precision: all about entertainment

* summer competition, when WGI is most out-of-season (i.e. every unit is essentially "closed" during the spring/summer months) - i.e. there are no scheduling conflicts

I honestly think that Drumline Battle negatively affecting WGI is like suggesting the local Battle of the Bands is going to affect DCI. If anything, this could be great for WGI units, as they could make some extra money from members for potentially minimal expense: while also gaining added exposure which could help build interest in their organization.

you win