Great Performers Of All Time

There have been many great drum corps performances throughout of the years. Although it's the corps that makes the show, every now and then, the individuals who perform create timeless classics themselves.

Although the 1970's seem like a long, long time ago (for some anyway:>), one such individual performer stands the test of time for providing his timeless classic(s). If you haven't watched some of those great performances of long ago - which are still awesome in their own right today - check out the Madison Scouts from the 1970's. From 1974-1977 on the fan network, you'll get to enjoy a tremendous soprano player. From "God Bless The Child" to "MacArthur Park", this guy was simply amazing!

Recently I came across this video post on youtube:

The man's name is Chris Metzger Forbes. Chris was recently inducted into the Bugler's Hall of Fame. I can certainly see why! Take some time to enjoy these timeless classics. It's "old school" drum and bugle corps, but still so great to watch and hear.

While you're at it, check out Madison from 1978. The baritone player produces some pretty amazing sounds in his own right in that year's rendition of the "God Bless The Child".

Now, these are some examples of outstanding performances from the 1970's. There are many more recent past and by contemporary performers too.

What are some of your favorites? - it doesn't have to be restricted to brass ...

Please share!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

2001 Glassmen "IMAGO" mello soloist in the Brenno Blauth "Concertino for Oboe and Strings," which the corps titled, "Meditation." Lots of people were talking about that because he carried the entire tune, it was so exposed, and it was so good.

On the flip side are some of the solos talked about in this thread.

• Like 4

What are some of your favorites? - it doesn't have to be restricted to brass ...

Due to the nature of the beast, you aren't going to find much in the way of percussionists with long, extended features. And even guards don't tend to feature one person so much that we begin identifying with them...with rare exceptions such as Crown's Herbert from a handful of years ago. Typically, when guard members have been featured, it's been more as a characterization than for pure guard work.

Don't know the name, but the baritone soloist for the Boston Crusaders in 2011 was pretty amazing as well.

• Like 5

Every time a topic like this pops up I immediately think of the lead sop from North Star. Jerry Noonan is his name and my God what chops! Check out the 1979 North Star performance. One of the best ever.

• Like 7

I'm going to go a bit old school and new school for this thread. I can remember vividly the Jerry Noonan North Star solos. Crowds cheered almost as soon as he lifted his instrument. An honorable mention would be the soloist in 27th's "Greatest Love of All" in 1981, an underrated yet in my eyes a classic 27th moment. Al Chez of Garfield fame has to be on any list of greats and Kiltie's 1975 screamer soloist in the classic "Don't You Worry About a Thing" can't be forgotten. If we're not restricted to musicians, can any corps duplicate the artistry of 27th's rifle line, the majesty of Anaheim Kingsmen's rifles, or the amazing moves of Phantom's "Rockford File?" Though we do see great things done by guards today, we'll never see this again.

My new school nod goes to a young man whose name I do not know though I think his first name is Charlie and he performed "Bring Him Home" on baritone in the 2011 BAC show. A great non horn performer who deserves credit is Carolina Crown's Nick Star, the "Rach Star" of their 2011 show. As far as two honorable mentions, two solos that had all the characteristics of "screamers" yet were very controlled include the young man from Crossmen's 2012 "Earth Song" and my favorite guilty pleasure from last season "All By Myself" by the Colts. These two soloists are on my list and no doubt others as well.

So many greats, so little space........

• Like 3

Every time a topic like this pops up I immediately think of the lead sop from North Star. Jerry Noonan is his name and my God what chops! Check out the 1979 North Star performance. One of the best ever.

And I always think of Jim Brady of the Bridgemen from 76-78( I think). Usually with one valve and rotary.

...had all the characteristics of "screamers" yet were very controlled include the young man from Crossmen's 2012 "Earth Song"...

YES! YES! YES!

Due to the nature of the beast, you aren't going to find much in the way of percussionists with long, extended features. And even guards don't tend to feature one person so much that we begin identifying with them...with rare exceptions such as Crown's Herbert from a handful of years ago. Typically, when guard members have been featured, it's been more as a characterization than for pure guard work.

But, but... I LOVED Jeffrey! Cute little band kid - he just wanted to twirl!

:devil:/>

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1