Those who marched...

Also Woody Allen still plays clarinet. He's a huge jazz fan, and plays in public a bit. There's a pretty interesting documentary about his clarinet playing

He just shows up at jazz clubs in NYC, or at least he used to, and sit in.

He also was in marching band, for those who forget...

take-the-money-and-run-woody-allen-cello-marching-band.jpg

:tongue:

• Like 3

Matt "Spag" McDonough from Mudvayne marched snare with Phantom Regiment:

Matt: I've been playing drums for nineteen twenty years. Ryan's been playing bass for probably about eight. Chad still isn't playing his instrument. Greg has been playing guitar for probably at least fifteen, maybe as long as me. I used to play in drum and bugle corps when I was a kid. Marching snare. The drum and bugle corps which I was a member of specifically focused on classical music. We did like, Tchaikovsky 1812 overture or a whole show, that kind of thing. Ryan has a pretty intense background in jazz vocals, bass, dance, that type of thing, which if you watch his technique it's pretty obvious that he's dialed. Greg, Greg just plays guitar. On drum kit I've never taken a lesson. I just kind of figured it out.

Unless you're into harder "math metal," you may never have heard of Mudvayne, but trust me, while you may not like the music, they don't call it math metal for nothing. These guys are incredible musicians, so I've never been surprised by the number of drummers in that genre who trace their musical roots back to rudimental, corps-style percussion.

Edited by HollywoodNeoCon
  • Like 1

Don't forget his brother, Chris Martin, who is the lead trumpet for the famed Chicago Symphony Orchestra and may currently be the most famous orchestral trumpet player in the nation and beyond.

It's always kind of amusing to me that a trumpet player in a symphony can be the orchestra world equivalent of a rock star, but Chris definitely is! He also marched Spirit of Atlanta (don't remember the year - I think it was only one season but I might be wrong).

Steven Spielberg plays clarinet on the soundtrack of 1941: he said he wanted the orchestra to sound more ragged than they did, to give the march a less-polished feel.

Can you imagine just saying, "I want to sit in and record a film score under the baton of John Williams (probably for the London Phil?)" and not having someone respond with laughter followed by, "oh: you were serious?!" Incredible!

I know it's Spielberg, and I know that 1941 was made right at the time he was skyrocketing to superstardom, but still!

I thought that after Jim Ott's (auto accident)sudden death in 1980, Freddie took over some of the arranging for Spirit for a bit, but I could be completely mistaken on this, Michael. However, you are correct that Freddie Martin was mostly involved with the Directorship of the Corps, and not principally as " an arranger "... good point,and thanks for making that correction.... and it was good to remind us of his other Son's Chris accomplishments here as well. Quite a family.

Freddy was my high school band director, his brother Dan was my wife's high school band director, and I marched in Spirit of Atlanta with his sister, Sharon, who is a high school choral director. Oh, and Freddy's wife, Lynda, sings in the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus. Yes, quite a musical family, indeed.

And speaking of Spirit, former Spirits of Atlanta drummer Carla Azar was on the Grammys last night. She's a member of Jack White's all-female band. She was a snare in Spirit in the early 80s.

And another female Spirit snare from the early years was Beth Hardcastle (now Gottlieb), who is the percussionist in Gary Sinese's Lt. Dan Band, along with husband Danny Gottlieb, who is the Lt. Dan Band's set drummer.

Who would've guessed Sam Jackson played F-horn?!?! :blink:/>

Considering all the F bombs he's launched in his career, I'd say it fits him perfectly. :thumbup:

• 11 months later...

Freddy was my high school band director, his brother Dan was my wife's high school band director, and I marched in Spirit of Atlanta with his sister, Sharon, who is a high school choral director. Oh, and Freddy's wife, Lynda, sings in the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus. Yes, quite a musical family, indeed.

And speaking of Spirit, former Spirits of Atlanta drummer Carla Azar was on the Grammys last night. She's a member of Jack White's all-female band. She was a snare in Spirit in the early 80s.

And another female Spirit snare from the early years was Beth Hardcastle (now Gottlieb), who is the percussionist in Gary Sinese's Lt. Dan Band, along with husband Danny Gottlieb, who is the Lt. Dan Band's set drummer.

A more recent Spirit alum, Tyler Ritter (pit, 2006) is the drummer for Moon Taxi, who were on Conan last night.

http://teamcoco.com/video/moon-taxi-01-15-14

Few years back I posted that Michael Hossack of the Doobie Brothers was in a corps as per "Music Choice" stations (on a lot in my house) and someone else posted this after the Mr Hossack passed away.

From the Doobie Brothers website:

Michael Hossack was born in Paterson, New Jersey on October 17, 1946 (a real baby boomer). At age twelve Mike started playing drums in the Little Falls Cadets, a Boy Scout Drum and Bugle Corp. He credits his drum instructors, Joe Whelan (Little Falls Cadets), Bob Peterson (Our Lady of Lourdes Cadets), and George Tuttle (Fair Lawn Cadets) for teaching him the disciplines of playing with other drummers.

“People always ask me of it’s hard to play with another drummer. I tell them that after playing along with up to twelve other drummers at once in the drum corps, this is a snap!”

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Few years back I posted that Michael Hossack of the Doobie Brothers was in a corps as per "Music Choice" stations (on a lot in my house) and someone else posted this after the Mr Hossack passed away.

From the Doobie Brothers website:

Michael Hossack was born in Paterson, New Jersey on October 17, 1946 (a real baby boomer). At age twelve Mike started playing drums in the Little Falls Cadets, a Boy Scout Drum and Bugle Corp. He credits his drum instructors, Joe Whelan (Little Falls Cadets), Bob Peterson (Our Lady of Lourdes Cadets), and George Tuttle (Fair Lawn Cadets) for teaching him the disciplines of playing with other drummers.

“People always ask me of it’s hard to play with another drummer. I tell them that after playing along with up to twelve other drummers at once in the drum corps, this is a snap!”

Too bad they spelled George's name wrong...it was Tuthill, not Tuttle. Oh well, some mention is better than none I guess! BTW...George was an absolute genius in writing.