Straight Leg or Bent Leg?

I would also point out that black pants and shoes hide a LOT compared to lighter colors. I for one have see straight leg, have marched both techniques and while straight leg is really ONLY for visual it is a LOT harder on your joints. Ah to be young again and have the joints to still do those shows! :)

True. However, Blue Devils have a very obvious set of stripes on one leg. In white.

• Like 4

True. However, Blue Devils have a very obvious set of stripes on one leg. In white.

They now do indeed. And it shows doesn't it? I still miss their old uniforms though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the judge who evaluates things like leg shape and foot timing on the field anyway? and those two, thick white stripes on BD expose leg shape AND foot timing on the right leg, so it swings out for us to see on the not down beats.

Per se, no. Because the political price someone would pay for even thinking it much less saying it. White allows you to look bigger on the field. It also allows the contrast of colors to be that more striking at a cost of everything MUCH more visible and out there.

Herein is the judging conundrum: Wearing white pants/shoes is also way riskier because it magnifies mistakes whereas even you stated that black hides those same mistakes; ergo, politically correct or not, without rewarding that risk when executed well there is no way a corps wearing white pants/shoes can actually be compared fairly and equally to those wearing black as it apples to evaluating execution.

I contend that some things are more difficult to execute but if the human body can accomplish the task it is by definition 'natural'. But since you are limiting your definition of 'natural' in the manner you have just done in this post (ie what's natural about marching on to a football field and playing music), then you must also contend that... The activities of Synchronized Swimming or Water Polo are also not 'natural' acts by humans because we must teach ourselves the skill sets to not only swim but to do so with very complex contortions to our bodies.

Natural was in reference to bent "and" beat enthusiast stating "It's more natural". Nothing we do is natural and if I want to be technical, the exaggerated roll-up is beyond "natural" in the opposite direction of an overly straight leg (straight leg styles still have a bent leg. You don't roll through the foot into a toe off, it's a pushing off of the platform). A "natural" gate is somewhere in between the two.

2nd... I find the "natural" bit a bunch of hooey because marching technique (posture) goes against horn angles/embouchure/ mouth piece placement... You know, natural brass playing. It's counter productive for a decent percentage of players: those with very high mouthpiece placements. Why do you think many french horn players have problems with a flat or 10 degree horn angle on a mello? Not because they can't hold the horn, it's the mouthpiece placement.

Edited by CloudHype

So, if that is true then straight-leg, black pants, black socks, black shoes = better score and potential wins; correct?

Yes. Look at how many titles have been won by corps that wear dark pants compared to those wearing light pants or light shoes. Same with visual titles.

Cadets = 10 wins with light shoes

SCV = 4 wins with white shoes

Star = 1 win with light shoes

Madison = 1 win with white spats

Phantom = 1 win with White shoes

Blue Devils = How many of their wins did they wear white spats? and White striipes on the leg?

Anaheim = Did they wear white shoes in 72? and they had a light stripe on the leg

Cadets = 10 wins with light shoes

SCV = 4 wins with white shoes

Star = 1 win with light shoes

Madison = 1 win with white spats

Phantom = 1 win with White shoes

Blue Devils = How many of their wins did they wear white spats? and White striipes on the leg?

Anaheim = Did they wear white shoes in 72? and they had a light stripe on the leg

BD won with a white stripe at least in 07, 09, 10, and 12. I think they had white stripes in the 80s too for some of their wins

BD won with a white stripe at least in 07, 09, 10, and 12. I think they had white stripes in the 80s too for some of their wins

1 White stripe and a half skirt thing is different than white pants or 2 white stripes down each leg. For sure BD does what they do well, but it may be difficult to compare to the other corps.

Currently, SCV, Cavaliers, Blue Knights, and Pacific Crest all use a bent knee technique for marching. The rest of the corps use a straight leg technique. Some very extreme, in the case of Cadets, some a bit more relaxed, like Crown or Crossmen.

Pacific Crest has made the transition to straight leg for this year since Steven Estudillo left to go be the Cavies caption head