Is there anybody.....Out There?

it's the new drum corps world. You release info, you get blasted for overhype. You don't release info, you're hiding or it's a sign things are not going well.

• Like 1

it's the new drum corps world. You release info, you get blasted for overhype. You don't release info, you're hiding or it's a sign things are not going well.

Much truth here, Jeff!

In my mind, there is NO SUCH THING as over hype. Just do it, and let those who object watch in envy. The "hiding" thing does puzzle me. And, if things aren't going well, one way to reverse that is BY hyping, creatively, of course!

Edited by Fred Windish

Much truth here, Jeff!

In my mind, there is NO SUCH THING as over hype. Just do it, and let those who object watch in envy. The "hiding" thing does puzzle me. And, if things aren't going well, one way to reverse that is BY hyping (creatively, of course)!

wellllll.....yes and no.

In the past, some corps have trumpeted their greatness, how they would change the game, yada yada...then came out in 13th place.

so you CAN overhype.

• Like 2

But, that was only over hype in hindsight. I say, as for promotion, "give it a rip" to the best of your ability. If it doesn't work out, you, at least, left nothing on the table. All that counts is what you brought to the fight, not what you could have brought!

Edited by Fred Windish

But, that was only over hype in hindsight. I say, as for promotion, "give it a rip" to the best of your ability. If it doesn't work out, you, at least, left nothing on the table. All that counts is what you brought to the fight, not what you could have brought!

welll.....allow me to be...well me.

they pretty much weren't good from the get go

"Still Looking":

Tony Schlecta to recieve the DCI "Lifetime Achievement Award" as well as induction into the DCI "Hall of Fame".

Ballantine Brewers and Hamm's Indians comming back as junior corps......

Sheridan WY "7th Cavalry" returning to Legion competition....

Fresno Ferns making a Far East Asia tour prior to DCA's....

National Dream Contest to be held in Montana...

Elphaba

Wake me up when the Barons of Steuben are coming back

• Like 1

I guess I'll have to add trivia again and then start some trouble.

I don't ever remember so much "down time" on DCP.

I'll play along! Cincinnati Tradition is hard at work, improving their corps. They are learning how to compete and how to recruit and retain members. The staff is gaining valuable experience, as they teach their captions. In an area of the country that only knows DCI, Cincinnati Tradition is facing an uphill battle with regard to recruiting. They don't have the luxury of name recognition, nor do they have an extensive competative reputation in DCA. But let me tell you what they DO have: A dedicated all volunteer staff and core group of members that show up for every rehearsal, prepared and ready to work! Will they be the next "Intergallactic Champions of the Known Universe" in 2013? No. You don't build a championship program overnight. What folks need to realize is this: "C.T." is building the foundation first. The walls come later, then the roof. You can't throw a rock around this town without hitting a Bluecoat or a Glassmen ageout. There is a large talent pool here. Speaking ONLY for myself, Those folks will join when the corps is good enough for them to join. You have to get good before you get big. That's reality. So what will the fans see from this corps in 2013? A corps that is improved over last season. Isn't that the direction we are supposed to be going in, anyway? :)

Edited by hairbear
  • Like 5

I posted observations from Minnesota Brass' 1st rehearsal a few weeks back. I also attended last night's rehearsal (Wed. 2/13/13). Rain & sleet kept the numbers down a bit but the announcements indicated that the percussion line will make their final cuts soon. The hornline has 3 low brass holes but is otherwise full. The guard is sporadically rehearsing with the main corps while primarily focusing on the winter guard program.

The horns played through "Ritual Fire Dance" and I was delighted to hear an arrangement that was quite different from any I've heard from other corps. It's almost a high-speed tango with unexpected chords and some difficult 16th-note runs. Next week will be the first ensemble rehearsals with horns and percussion together so I'm looking forward to hearing the final mix.

I believe the horns are still awaiting the 4th piece in the show but it sounds like the arrangers are almost finished with it.

An announcement was also made that Minne-Brass will be playing in concert with Norwegian tuba virtuoso Oystein Baadsvik on March 10th.

More information on the concert is here.

Edited by Ron H
  • Like 1

You bring up a very good point, oldephard. The "off-season" DCP could use a boost. Rumors, and such, can provide that, but that's risky. Like you, I also see a changing DCP. It's a DCP that is much more combative. Over on the DCI side, several threads are less about information, more about the joy of fighting. It's as if no one reads anyone's comments before making their own contribution. Basically, whatever you just posted, is automatically wrong, and I'm here now to set you straight! Whatever happened to adult discourse? Asking for more detail and clarification, BEFORE dismissing someone as unworthy. I am guilty as many others who simply drop out of certain topics because they are no longer worth the effort and stress to continue, based upon the continual "one--upmanship" that goes on here.

Another problem is the tendency of corps management to discourage/prohibit their members from participating here. I never agreed with that. If someone should get out of line, deal with them at that point. Our activity NEEDS a place like DCP. We must do our best to keep it visited regularly, all through the off-season.

I'd also like to see DCP used more often by DCA and each corps as a promotional tool. Excitement must be built over a long period leading up to the actual season. Those early practice photos, video clips are valuable in keeping interest high. I never understood why so many want to keep everything a secret until the first show. Television commercials are run in great repetition for a reason. Selling a product is a continuous effort. Drum corps should be no different. Granted, we mostly rely on volunteers who have real lives to attend to, but this activity needs to find a way for someone from each corps to sit here with a laptop, a phone, some video, etc. and push it out there.

Oh, well. . . .

Now, oldephard, who do you think you are, coming on here to make such an observation? It's not like you say at all! Here's the real deal . . . tongue.gif

Anytime corps management tried to discourage me from posting on DCP I would ask them what they were doing to promote the corps on DCP. They would tell me they were doing nothing to promote the corps on DCP and that is the way they wanted it. I told them I thought that was the stupidest idea ever and did as I pleased.

• Like 1