DCP...Becoming the New RAMD?

Unlike some who may have had trouble with their career because of RAMD, I actually got the job I have as a direct result of it. Those were entertaining times. A lot of popcorn eaten during those threads from "her" (if by "her", you all are referring to CB). It was fun at times to just join in and egg her on. Ultimately, I grew up and realized now that it's more fun to lurk and keep my opinions to myself. I'd forgotten all about RAMD until I saw this topic! The days of dial-up and AOL. May they rest in peace.

• Like 3

Unlike some who may have had trouble with their career because of RAMD, I actually got the job I have as a direct result of it. Those were entertaining times. A lot of popcorn eaten during those threads from "her" (if by "her", you all are referring to CB). It was fun at times to just join in and egg her on. Ultimately, I grew up and realized now that it's more fun to lurk and keep my opinions to myself. I'd forgotten all about RAMD until I saw this topic! The days of dial-up and AOL. May they rest in peace.

4th-

I enjoyed RAMD, too. It was amusing. More importantly, it was the only vehicle of this type we had! This (DCP) is much better, though. Here's the problem. To exist, discussion boards need discussion, not lurkers! I don't agree with you having "toyed" with "her." That was cruel. I had some private emails with her. She seemed more normal than she did on RAMD. Maybe she was toying with us! Nah, guess not.

The extent of my involvement on RAMD was not even me directly. At 14 I had posted a comment on the Skyliner guestbook about how much fun I was having as sort of a testimonial for potential younger members. One of the other corps members copied and pasted it on RAMD and I was VIOLENTLY attacked several times online for being young and marching in DCA where I didn't belong.

Yeah you should have been older..... like 16 when I joined a Sr corps.... :devil:

• Like 1

Yeah you should have been older..... like 16 when I joined a Sr corps.... :devil:/>

Yeah, and Johnny Guarino first marched Sky when he was like 13! And Dennis Aquilina played cymbals with us when he was only 12, and that was only because his 3 much older brothers were in the corps.

At one time ALL senior corps members had to be veterans, either A.L. or VFW. After a lot of years, the percentage of veterans was eased due to a lot of them calling it a career. Then it was a minimum age of 18. For a LOT of years now there has been no low-age restriction in seniors, hence "All-Age". Junior corps, on the other hand have always had a maximum age restriction of 21, now 22, but even these regs have not always been adhered to, especially in the 60s, 70s and probably to this very day, but the upper age limit has been more strictly enforced for a while now. The shame of it is the fact that a 13 year old kid off the street has little or NO chance to participate in the junior activity as he once did. THAT is the real crime here!

Ray

"The problem with RAMD, and the internet in general, is that you have to check posts for accuracy before your respond." Abraham Lincoln, G. A. Custer D & B Corps, 1864

Edited by JoeDz
  • Like 3

You missed a ton back in the early days, but nothing in the later years. We had some crazy times on RAMD, and I have several lifelong friends from there. It's a shame it took the turn it did.

Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT search for the Great Bunny Race. You will be there for days.

but you'll laugh

:tongue:/>

The problem with RAMD wasn't the conspiracy theories, homerism, or disagreements/arguments/fights over relevant drum corps topics. That stuff was par for the course, in all honestly. The real problem with RAMD, and why I quit wasting reading/postsing in '98 was when it became a tool for extreme personal attacks, outright lies told to smear reputations, and generally disgraceful behavior on the part of a surprisingly large percentage of regular RAMD users. There were several careers that were threatened over some peoples' vitriolic attacks.

I got so bad it turned me off the the whole activity for a couple of years (other than watching my own corps). Thankfully, to my knowledge, none of the guilty parties from those days post here on DCP, and if they do, it's really under the radar. On it's *worst*day, DCP is still an order of magnitude above RAMD at it's best.

Good riddance to that cesspool.

I mentioned this before. it got ugly long before CB came around, but she gets all of the blame

Those were dark years for some people. Personally, I wish not to revisit them at all. What may have started out "tongue-in-cheek", really got bizarre quickly over there.

No thanks.

DA

Agree!!!

Those were dark years for some people. Personally, I wish not to revisit them at all. What may have started out "tongue-in-cheek", really got bizarre quickly over there.

No thanks.

DA