"Tour of Champions" 2013

This is kind of funny. I went back to look at 2004 to see whether Crown or Boston did their narration first in a show. Turns out they were together for the first three shows that year, the first two of which (Nightbeat and Kennesaw) were rained out. DCI Louisville was the third show, and I assume Crown went on earlier, so I guess in the most literal of senses, Crown debuted a show with narration in competition before Boston did.

I remember Crown singing and doing beat poetry, but not straight narration in 2004.

I would counter that unless any action is specifically designed to grow the business or increase DCI's efficiency, it's a wasted action.

DCI has one purpose. Sell the events and shows presented by the corps, and pass the money on to the corps, and do both of those things better every year. End of purpose. Get everyone rallied around that very simple truth, and you are more likely to find consensus on issues that have been divisive in the past, because everyone brought emotional concerns to the discussion rather than business concerns.

Mission is not just emotional concern - it is the founding and defining purpose of the organization.

If it increases the overall efficiencies, strengthens the message or increases fan interest, and returns more money to the corps, directly or indirectly, it's good. If it doesn't, it's not worth doing. Look at everything through that prism, and make choices designed to achieve those ends.

You can look through your narrow prism all you want, but the mission of DCI does not disappear just because you do not see it.

I think it has been mentioned before that these new and innovative ventures (copied from Asia) were not all that well launched. They've been going for how long now and don't even have a web page?

Music in Motion, Inc., has been going much longer, and still does not have a web page.

• Like 2

You can look through your narrow prism all you want, but the mission of DCI does not disappear just because you do not see it.

A mission statement isn't a business plan. It can inform the business plan, but they're not the same things at all.

• Like 1

Maybe because innovation really is nothing without success? Like how someone mentioned Teal Sound earlier. They used a guitar in their pit, and I think Spirit used a bass in their pit the same year. Neither corps did great competitively,

Some " innovation " is successful, while much of it turns out not to be and later that innovative idea is either greatly modified, or scrapped altogether. Placement and " competitive success " has virtually nothing at all to do with where the new innovative concept originates from. As mentioned earlier, innovation has come throughout the strata of DCI Corps placement. Some of the innovative ideas that came about from the lower placing Corps were later incorporated by the the so called elites at the very top in their shows, while some filtered down from the elites to those below. Narration was used extensively by The Cadets a few years back despite the Cadets not being the first to use narration in shows. They have since... it appears... decided to scrap both singing and narration in their shows. Some ideas work, some don't. But it is a fallacy to believe that all innovation in DCI has originated with the elite Corps. Some has, of course. But much of it has not first originated here as well.

Edited by BRASSO

funny how people want to perceive Open Class as minor league. You do have minor league baseall teams outdrawing major league teams nightly.

marketing does wonders

Major league baseball teams also believe in providing Major League service support to the Minor Leagues. They assist them in countless ways. The Major League teams (and its organization of Major League Baseball itself) have come to the business decision that to provide "no service" to the Minor leagues would be detrimental ( if not suicidal ) to their own futures. While some Major League teams get their rookie players straight out of high school and college, more than half of the Major League team's rookie talent is talent that came up from the minor leagues where the young player learned the ropes of playing, honed their skills, and developed the lessons to be learned with national travel. ( sound familiar ? )

Edited by BRASSO

IMO, the OC tour is way out of the way. I can find far more minor league baseball in a 3 hour drive than I can find an OC show. In fact, I think the nearest OC show is 4+ hours away....in the middle of nowhere NW PA.

We have one Open Class stand alone-show in New England in Manchester, NH but BAC hosts two early shows each year: Connecticut Drums and the CYO Nationals Tribute which feature Open Class Shows and Bristol, RI and Beanpot both include Open Class corps but I know this is not typical.

However, last summer when I went from the Boston area to Indy with time to kill, I found the middle of nowhere, NW PA rather scenic. Of course when I was travelling back home and wanted to get back ASAP, the middle of nowhere NW PA seemed rather long.

If DCI was a pure business without the mission, there would be a billion better products and markets in which to do business.

DCI is already diversifying.

"Some " innovation " is successful, while much of it turns out not to be and later that innovative idea is either greatly modified, or scrapped altogether. Placement and " competitive success " has virtually nothing at all to do with where the new innovative concept originates from. As mentioned earlier, innovation has come throughout the strata of DCI Corps placement. Some of the innovative ideas that came about from the lower placing Corps were later incorporated by the the so called elites at the very top in their shows, while some filtered down from the elites to those below. Narration was used extensively by The Cadets a few years back despite the Cadets not being the first to use narration in shows. They have since... it appears... decided to scrap both singing and narration in their shows. Some ideas work, some don't. But it is a fallacy to believe that all innovation in DCI has originated with the elite Corps. Some has, of course. But much of it has not first originated here as well. " Brasso

I am told Cadets' FB today 2/27 has a video segment of their 1977 show where the corps (and audience) sang Amen, the color guard took up sopranos, and shorts replaced the traditional Cadets' guard skirts.

Brasso is quite correct that many things considered "innovative" today have been performed before. "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." By the way, the 1977 show was considered innovative for its time and was a crowd pleaser and GE judge pleaser. Not so much with the field judges and purists however. The shorts "disappeared" somewhere in Montrose, Colorado the following summer and were never seen again as the guard returned to skirts as my old mind remembers. Narration did not originate with either Crown or Boston but was done, and penalized, by smaller junior corps in other circuits decades earlier.

I remember Crown singing and doing beat poetry, but not straight narration in 2004.

I'm pretty sure amplified voice of any kind is considered narration by DCI. I would call their beat poetry as narrated.