"Tour of Champions" 2013

Gosh, you should talk to that Slingerland fellow and let him know, too.

LOL. Nice try. You can use elements of other forms of business in your business without most fully functioning adults saying that doing so makes the two businesses "the same" (and Mike D pointed out that the baseball analogy wasn't exact, point for point).

Baseball has major leagues and minor leagues, with different expectations and purposes. The major leagues get the bulk of the attention, but that doesn't mean that MLB doesn't understand the importance of their farm system too, since they need it there to develop talent that they've already scouted as having potential down the road. it's my contention that DCI could do well to look at elements of that model in reconsidering their business model, including creating partnerships between the top tier corps and those who are (or probably should be) competing in the Open Class level. Nothing really radical there.

The animus toward anyone suggesting that DCI needs a major overhaul is pretty unusual. Simply pointing out what is obvious to any stranger on the street (that some organizations present larger, more professional work, and some smaller, younger corps are not really competing with the big corps in any realistic fashion) is taken as being an assault on those younger, smaller corps. It isn't, anymore than pointing out the obvious - that in most places, high school-age teams are not competing against more experienced college-age teams, and for good reason. Pointing that out isn't saying that you don't like or value the high school-age team, it's just acknowledging their differences.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

You missed my point. I'm not talking about a corps doing an old style of show, I'm saying going out and doing a full 1973 show, with 11 minutes of high mark time and piston-rotor horns. Guard in riding boots and skirts, Mylar drum heads, marching pit, full nine yards. That's what I meant. That would get completely demolished on the current judging sheets.

No question about it.

Its probably why we need not concern ourselves with this as a result. No Corps is about to do so. Its a non issue, imo.

Also, to show how an analogy comparing dissimilar things from different eras is fraught with problems, we ALSO can state unequivocably that the BD 2012 DCI Championship winning show would likewise " get demolished " if we used the judging sheets in place to judge corps from 1973 as well. BD would be buried in penalties alone, and out of the TOP 12 for certain if they put last years show out onto the field in 1973. We should be able to agree with this as well, it seems to me. They are both sidebars in all this anyway, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Music in Motion, Inc., has been going much longer, and still does not have a web page.

Was MIM actually announced? Is there anything on the schedule? It was suggested as a concept, but still only just that.

These other initiatives of DCI were fully launched without a web site.

Why do I suggest this is 1/2 baked? There was a huge momentum around this, a huge surge of interest at the launch.... but no call to action to get people to register for more info. Huge opportunity to collect data.

Only today they launched this, which is made with formstack and takes 5 minutes to put together. Why didn't they at least have this then?

Not saying the idea isn't interesting (like it more for international than for US market), but was a bit the cart before the horse in terms of launch and was rushed to be out there before a key meeting. This sort of suggests that the point of it was less about the actual initiative, but more about the politics in terms of the sense of urgency to get it out there.

No question about it.

Its probably why we need not concern ourselves with this as a result. No Corps is about to do so. Its a non issue, imo.

Also, to show how an analogy comparing dissimilar things from different eras is fraught with problems, we ALSO can state unequivocably that the BD 2012 DCI Championship winning show would likewise " get demolished " if we used the judging sheets in place to judge corps from 1973 as well. BD would be buried in penalties alone, and out of the TOP 12 for certain if they put last years show out onto the field in 1973. We should be able to agree with this as well, it seems to me. They are both sidebars in all this anyway, imo.

Why do these discussions always keep coming up... this then vs. now? Pointless.

Now is now... then was then... very different animals.... and nothing productive can really come from that sort of hypothetical discussion. it only serves to widen the generation gap unnecessarily.

And what are the "unexpected" circumstances to which you refer?

I'm pretty certain that absolutely no one expected the Januals to end as they did (G7 members on the board and 2 as officers, TOC continued etc... ). But even in the face of the completely unexpected -- well -- never mind. There's absolutely no point to it.

• Like 2

Was MIM actually announced? Is there anything on the schedule? It was suggested as a concept, but still only just that.

Why do I suggest this is 1/2 baked? There was a huge momentum around this, a huge surge of interest at the launch.... but no call to action to get people to register for more info. Huge opportunity to collect data.

Only today they launched this, which is made with formstack and takes 5 minutes to put together. Why didn't they at least have this then?

Not saying the idea isn't interesting (like it more for international than for US market), but was a bit the cart before the horse in terms of launch and was rushed to be out there before a key meeting. This sort of suggests that the point of it was less about the actual initiative, but more about the politics in terms of the sense of urgency to get it out there.

Oh, and I suppose MiM was anything more than political posturing?

The fact that MiM is now on hiatus suggests it was nothing more than that.

At least SS and DLB was not a threat.

• Like 2

The info form you say was created "only today" has been there since day one, and is the vehicle by which they've received, so far, more than 1000 inquiries.

Now, if we can just get the naysayers behind it instead of poo-pooing the initiative or the effort.

Starting here would be a good start, IMO.

• Like 1

I'm pretty certain that absolutely no one expected the Januals to end as they did (G7 members on the board and 2 as officers, TOC continued etc... ). But even in the face of the completely unexpected -- well -- never mind. There's absolutely no point to it.

Well, in the giant G7 Update thread about the leaked letter, just about every possible outcome was proposed. For instance, I had suggested that the rest of DCI give "the 7" the controlling seven out of twelve votes they asked for. (You can look it up!) This was more than a week before the Januals, so your point remains unclear to me.

While you may be right that few here knew how the meeting was going to end, I know for a fact that the seven were encouraged to run for the open spots with tacit assurance that their winning those spots was highly agreeable to everyone with a vote.

It wasn't a surprise to those in the room.

It would have been a surprise had the seven turned down the encouragement and huffed out of the meetings early.

While you may be right that few here knew how the meeting was going to end, I know for a fact that the seven were encouraged to run for the open spots with tacit assurance that their winning those spots was highly agreeable to everyone with a vote.

It wasn't a surprise to those in the room.

It would have been a surprise had the seven turned down the encouragement and huffed out of the meetings early.

This is interesting but a little unclear. Are you saying that everyone with a vote wanted some of the G7 directors on the BOD again?