Phantom Regiment 2013 (2)

I've been saying for 2 years that the Gwaltney experiment is not working. And taken a lot of heat for saying so.

And it's not to take away anything from him or his WGI success. But for whatever reason the marriage between he and PR just isn't working.

I think Crown proved tonight that you can't win DCI without a top 4 drum line at least. 7th, 9th just isn't going to cut it. So a change is needed, because we haven't finished higher than 7th in percussion since the Rennick's left.

I certainly miss the ebb and flow of Rennicks writing, as well as the subtletise woven throughout his compositions. The more I think about it, Gwaltneys writing reminds me a lot of the late great Marty Hurley. I don't think that style works as well in todays day and age of DCI percussion.

For those who haven't seen them live, when you compare recent videos, you can see, feel, and hear the difference not just in cleanliness but dynamics and flow as well.

Gwaltney is a great instructor no doubt, he's just not a good fit for Phantom. (IMO)

Edited by Phantombari1

Losing Rennick's writing was definitely a huge blow.

Losing JD's writing and influence was definitely a big blow.

As much as Phantom has pleasantly surprised me the prior two seasons under their new creative teams, this year's entire show is just flat all across the board. From the writing to the drill design. It's so abundantly clear, right from the outset of their show, when the opening hit fails to leave much of an impression. As big as that hornline still is the writing seems/sounds forced and almost lethargic. If that makes sense at all.

Hopefully they can make some changes in the off season and get back on track.

I certainly miss the ebb and flow of Rennicks writing, as well as the subtletise woven throughout his compositions.

My favorite part with regard to Rennick is his wife's writing for the pit.

It's some of the best I have ever heard.

I agree completely. Phantom's percussion arrangements to me are more technical than melodic, if you know what I mean. The Rennicks on the other hand have both.

We can sit and hope another set of Rennicks make's their way to Phantom but I'm betting a proven and winning percussion arranger will show up before next season.

Edited by Phantombari1

Quite a difference in one year.

I saw the witch live for the first time last night, and I was embarrassed. Guard kids from a small corps sat in front of us, and they mockingly laughed. It was painful to see my favorite corps put this on the field. I can accept performance issues - they happen from year to year. And I can accept sixth place - top six is still a great year. But the bottom falling out of a design team from one year to next is difficult to swallow.

A great year otherwise, and I'm sure they'll rebound. But it's tough to see.

Been a fan of Phantom Regiment since 74 seeing them in Marion ,Ohio the frist time ,Then again in Toedeo for the Key to the Sea Invitional .Then on to White Water for DCI preluims and Finals .Once a fan always a fan .should be vote the CORPS with the MOST CLASS

Edited by Florida Sun

Losing Rennick's writing was definitely a huge blow.

Losing JD's writing and influence was definitely a big blow.

As much as Phantom has pleasantly surprised me the prior two seasons under their new creative teams, this year's entire show is just flat all across the board. From the writing to the drill design. It's so abundantly clear, right from the outset of their show, when the opening hit fails to leave much of an impression. As big as that hornline still is the writing seems/sounds forced and almost lethargic. If that makes sense at all.

Hopefully they can make some changes in the off season and get back on track.

I agree wholeheartedly.

JD and the Rennicks are never coming back. Too much behind the scenes stuff for them to really.

I know my opinions and criticisms aren't well liked or received because I have a penchant for being brash, but I think it's time the corps at least made a change at the program coordinator level. I think that this position should be wholly separate from the corps director position. They need a program coordinator who is creative and artistic...one who understands the essence of Regiment and can give a nod to tradition, but also be able to lead this corps into a new era of programming/design that's more competitive. After watching the top 4 from the Allentown TOC show, the disparity in design was overwhelmingly evident. I was embarrassed at the gulf of creativity and planning, and execution that existed between these corps and Regiment. Something needs to change for this corps to stay competitive and draw the best talent.

I hear Cesario will be needing a new DCI job this next season...just saying.

• Like 1

I agree wholeheartedly.

JD and the Rennicks are never coming back. Too much behind the scenes stuff for them to really.

I know my opinions and criticisms aren't well liked or received because I have a penchant for being brash, but I think it's time the corps at least made a change at the program coordinator level. I think that this position should be wholly separate from the corps director position. They need a program coordinator who is creative and artistic...one who understands the essence of Regiment and can give a nod to tradition, but also be able to lead this corps into a new era of programming/design that's more competitive. After watching the top 4 from the Allentown TOC show, the disparity in design was overwhelmingly evident. I was embarrassed at the gulf of creativity and planning, and execution that existed between these corps and Regiment. Something needs to change for this corps to stay competitive and draw the best talent.

I hear Cesario will be needing a new DCI job this next season...just saying.

So, maybe it's about time you threw your hat into the ring. Just sayin'

Edited by Sutasaurus