Thoughts on DCI's "Harlem Shake" Video?

Other Youtube Viral Video Anomalies...

This amateur video of the Ohio U Marching Band playing Party Rock Anthem received over 9 million views.

This amateur video of Jersey Surf playing Party Rock Anthem received over 2 thousand views. And this one only received under 3000 views.

Any explanations?

I'd never seen that Ohio U. performance before; thanks for sharing it. Dare I ask which performance of "Party Rock" people think is better -- Jersey Surf's or the Marching 110's?

Dare I also note that DCI was unable to get the sync rights for "Party Rock"? Checking the Fan Network, one finds that Surf's Allentown performance has video but no sound for that portion of the show, while their SemiFinals performance has sound but no video in that segment. Did ESPN get those rights (I'm sure the youtube poster did not!) or is that clip just flying under the radar?

I don't really think DCI is at fault for this one. It's really more of the fans and the people commenting on the video. From what I see, the DCI Harlem Shake wasn't meant to be an ACTUAL Harlem Shake video like the ones spreading across the internet. DCI wasn't trying to show the world how much crazier they could be than the last Harlem Shake poster, but rather, show the internet that there are clips in the product that they're trying to sell (World Championship DVDs) that contain people doing similar "crazy" things on a drum corps field. That's why this video is humorous. Not because of what the members are doing on the field and how ridiculous they're acting, but because of the fact that there are moments in multiple drum corps shows where audiences can connect small crazy drum corps moments with something they'd see in a Harlem Shake video.

It'd be like National Geographic making a Harlem Shake video out of a Meerkat documentary. Do Meerkats ever jump around and party obnoxiously when the "bass drops?" No, but if there were a video compilation put together of the animals acting "silly" with the Harlem Shake music playing in the background, it would be enjoyable not because the animals are acting crazier than the most recent Harlem Shake video, but because of the fact that they are relatable to a popular internet trend.

• Like 4

I don't really think DCI is at fault for this one. It's really more of the fans and the people commenting on the video. From what I see, the DCI Harlem Shake wasn't meant to be an ACTUAL Harlem Shake video like the ones spreading across the internet. DCI wasn't trying to show the world how much crazier they could be than the last Harlem Shake poster, but rather, show the internet that there are clips in the product that they're trying to sell (World Championship DVDs) that contain people doing similar "crazy" things on a drum corps field. That's why this video is humorous. Not because of what the members are doing on the field and how ridiculous they're acting, but because of the fact that there are moments in multiple drum corps shows where audiences can connect small crazy drum corps moments with something they'd see in a Harlem Shake video.

It'd be like National Geographic making a Harlem Shake video out of a Meerkat documentary. Do Meerkats ever jump around and party obnoxiously when the "bass drops?" No, but if there were a video compilation put together of the animals acting "silly" with the Harlem Shake music playing in the background, it would be enjoyable not because the animals are acting crazier than the most recent Harlem Shake video, but because of the fact that they are relatable to a popular internet trend.

Exactly.

I think this whole idea of critiquing and examining this thing like it was part of some major marketing strategy is a bit silly. It's a goofy video clip, probably put together in a few minutes, simply to throw out there and capitalize on being a little bit in the "buzz" and getting the DCI name out there.

About 14 minutes of fame have already expired on this silly fad anyway, and in about two weeks the whole "Harlem Shake" thing will be a blip on life's radar, and none of this will have had any effect on DCI in any way shape or form.

In other words, much ado about nothing. No reason to overthink this.

• Like 3

In other words, much ado about nothing. No reason to overthink this.

Have ya' been 'round these parts long, pahdner? It's what we do. :shutup:

Well, I can't speak for DCI. I have no idea what their intentions were or the thought process that went into their decision to produce the video. I will say that I applaud them for their use of a media source that is currently hot in the public eye and will undoubtedly expose DCI to people who would not otherwise be exposed.

I can, however speak directly to the Atlanta CV video that is being discussed on the DCA page right now. As current drum major for the corps, as well as father to another marching member, I can tell you that this video served two distict purposes within our organization, both equally important. First, this video was part of an ongoing, well thought out strategy to market the corps to an audience that had previously gone virtually untapped within our community. In an effort to attract more of the younger (16-22) crowd, CV began a specific marketing campaign that has targeted this segment of the marketplace between the 2011 and 2012 seasons. This campaign has included monthly video updates documenting the corps progress, philosophies, staff and member interviews, etc. We have also begun educationl activities targeted at band directors and students to change the lingering attitudes regarding all age corps in our area. Our Harlem Shake video represents a further attempt to utilize this form of media that is so popular right now to get our face out there and further expose who we are to the YouTube generation.

Secondly, and equally as important, this video shows that even with our serious commitment to education and excellence, even though we work incredibly hard and dedicate ourselves to improving every day, we are still a family. A family that works hard but also isn't affraid to laugh together and make fun of ourselves. You will find in this video our Corps Director, Assistant Director, Tour Coordinator, several board members as well as many of our younger members all letting loose a little and enjoying the shared experience. This is a very positive message to get out to the public.

By the way, you may ask how this strategy is working for us? In the two years since impimenting this marketing strategy we have easily doubled our interest and participation in the corps as well as creating community and financial partnerships leading to a more stable organization. How on earth could that be percieved as a bad thing.

Again, I can't speak for DCI, but for all of us here at Atlanta CV, we will use any media source of strategy out there to spread the word.

Good for you DCI! Do whatever you have to do to get the word out.

As always, just my $.02

Dan

Anything that you need to know is right here on DCP. No need to go anywhere else!!!

I'm now hip on the Harlem Shake! I have to admit that I didn't understand it when I first saw the video, but thanks to the OP I'm enlightened!

Now, back to the real world! satisfied.gif

Well, I wish someone here would start discussing Justin Bieber's fame, because I'm still trying to figure out that one.

• Like 1

Well, I can't speak for DCI. I have no idea what their intentions were or the thought process that went into their decision to produce the video. I will say that I applaud them for their use of a media source that is currently hot in the public eye and will undoubtedly expose DCI to people who would not otherwise be exposed.

I can, however speak directly to the Atlanta CV video that is being discussed on the DCA page right now. As current drum major for the corps, as well as father to another marching member, I can tell you that this video served two distict purposes within our organization, both equally important. First, this video was part of an ongoing, well thought out strategy to market the corps to an audience that had previously gone virtually untapped within our community. In an effort to attract more of the younger (16-22) crowd, CV began a specific marketing campaign that has targeted this segment of the marketplace between the 2011 and 2012 seasons. This campaign has included monthly video updates documenting the corps progress, philosophies, staff and member interviews, etc. We have also begun educationl activities targeted at band directors and students to change the lingering attitudes regarding all age corps in our area. Our Harlem Shake video represents a further attempt to utilize this form of media that is so popular right now to get our face out there and further expose who we are to the YouTube generation.

Secondly, and equally as important, this video shows that even with our serious commitment to education and excellence, even though we work incredibly hard and dedicate ourselves to improving every day, we are still a family. A family that works hard but also isn't affraid to laugh together and make fun of ourselves. You will find in this video our Corps Director, Assistant Director, Tour Coordinator, several board members as well as many of our younger members all letting loose a little and enjoying the shared experience. This is a very positive message to get out to the public.

By the way, you may ask how this strategy is working for us? In the two years since impimenting this marketing strategy we have easily doubled our interest and participation in the corps as well as creating community and financial partnerships leading to a more stable organization. How on earth could that be percieved as a bad thing.

Again, I can't speak for DCI, but for all of us here at Atlanta CV, we will use any media source of strategy out there to spread the word.

Good for you DCI! Do whatever you have to do to get the word out.

As always, just my $.02

Dan

The issue is not using Harlem Shake. Pepsi used Harlem Shake so clearly it IS an effective marketing strategy and using social media is huge plus!!

There's a major difference. Atlanta CV's video is done correctly. It's successful because of that. Even if it doesn't have as many views you have seen a positive increase. Compare that DCI's Harlem Shake.... It's done incorrectly and has received the wrath of the Internet because of it, if DCI did a correct Harlem Shake video it would have been more effective and maybe would have gone viral anyway. There also probably would have been less backlash.

So congrats on Atlabta on doing a correct video and reaping the rewards. If only DCI had the same attention to detail as Atlanta CV.

If you want to show you're hip by using social media memes you HAVE to use them correctly otherwise you're just showing the Internet you're really not that hip.

But DCI could diminish the perceived ignorance of making the video by selling the idea that they trolled the Internet community. I mean DCI is sort of the complete opposite of what Harlem shake is. Maybe it would have been more effective to put a troll face during the bass drop and have the BEST clips of DCI uniformity and precision playing around it. Being socially conscious while not sacrificing DCI's integrity and marketing what drum corps ACTUALLY is.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1