Thoughts on DCI's "Harlem Shake" Video?

I just fail to see how, excuse me, the types of people searching for Harlem Shake videos would be so put off by what was shown. Did they puke on their keyboards?

I'm sure I don't understand the phenomenon that is "Harlem Shakes" but, reading the down-vote comments it was apparent to even me that most of them were coming from people already familiar with drum corps. "DCI should be ashamed..." and the like. How does an unfamilar person know that what was shown was "bad" drum corps? Seriously, was it so much worse, to the average non-fan than, say the video that Geoff posted above? (Sorry, Geoff, no offense intended.)

Isn't it reasonable that some of those non-fan viewers might have said "Hey, who's that band? Look what they're doing! Cool! I didn't know "band" could be that cool!", or "Hey, look at those snares! I play snares! Who's that band? What's this drum corps thing?"

I mean, really, a million people is a pretty big audience.

First Mistake: Thinking YouTube ratings mean something.

Second Mistake: Reading YouTube comments.

Third Mistake: Thinking YouTube meme videos will have a positive rating.

These are not mistakes, it is absolutely essential you are focused on this if you really wish to connect with the youth market. Youth these days watch things online more than on tv and have a strong need to interact and express opinions. Paying close attention to these opinions, being able to parse.... separate signal from noise... is exactly what will help you to succeed in capturing and maintaining their attention and building loyalty.

DCI is not exceptional and is no different than any other brand out there when it comes to trying to reach youth. Needs to play the same, by the same rules, based on the same fundamentals, through the same channels, with the same tone and the same ability to listen and adapt.

• Like 3

Did you happen to read the comments before they disabled them?

I quoted most of the negative comments in the original post here, so anyone who wants a sense of why people complained can still read them.

Bottom line - DCI titled the video "Harlem Shake - Drum Corps Style", so clearly they were trying to make a Harlem Shake video (or at least they thought that they were doing so)' They didn't do their homework well enough to produce one of these videos, and if you're not going to do something right, then don't do it at all. Certainly when you are called out on it, don't try to insult your fan base's intelligence by putting some wacky, unbelievable spin on it. The public gets enough of that from their hometown sports teams when they are having bad seasons and political campaigns.

• Like 2

Well, Surf was probably programming Party Rock in October for a show ten months later. This is one hurdle to DCI ever being able to program pop music that is actually popular at the time of performance. The lead time is ridiculous, whereas a college band can get something turned around in just a week or two.

True that. The upside is that I thought Surf's rendition was much more polished and musically balanced.