TOC/G7 Related Discussion

There is a big difference between revenue earned by a corps through direct ticket sales for major shows vs. what comes to that same corps after DCI overhead and other distributions.

I see. That sounds like it is not DCI competing with the corps, but rather, the corps competing with DCI.

What do you think should be changed with regard to this situation? We cannot make "DCI overhead" go away, or the shows will not even take place. If we stop DCI from selling tickets, we lose the most logical central point-of-sale. Allowing corps to sell tickets in parallel to DCI seems like the best setup to me.

People seem to continue to be confused and think the situation is all about a larger share of revenue from individual shows. It isn't. It is about the difference between being in control of your destiny or simply being a passenger.

You neglected the other option, Dan, which is the one that the Seven want: to be able to control their destiny from within the confines of DCI where there are 19 other groups whose destiny they also seek to control. I'd imagine that the O-15 directors would then feel like passengers all right, passengers that were kicked off the bus entirely.

There is a big difference between revenue earned by a corps through direct ticket sales for major shows vs. what comes to that same corps after DCI overhead and other distributions.

I've said from the beginning that I didn't think this whole kerfluffle is about money; it is, in fact, about control, entitlement, manipulation, bad-faith, and hubris.

If the ticket-sales metric is changed so that the top corps sell the blocks of prime seats then what happens to the Troopers fan who wants to sit on the 50? Does he have to buy tickets in the Cadets block? It's reasonable that Cadets would reserve those best seats for their best supporters so there's little chance that a non-Seven-fan will be able to get seats inside the 40's when all the best ones are taken up by the Seven.

There really are a very large number of fans who want to support the activity, not an individual corps. They deserve a chance to get prime seats and sit with their friends, too.

And while you say that the net, after tickets, of the Friends program is not worth the effort, by looking at the 990's of the seven it's clear that DCI makes more money off Friends than the individual corps do soliciting donations.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 9

Is this what we can look forward to again this year now that the Seven have programming all to themselves?

I think I'd rather have the smoke machine...

I'm wondering how this kind of programming will increase attendance? It might be fun for fans who are already there to see the show, but I wonder if this, and the other "interactive" parts are enough to attract new attendees?

"No, really! At the end, they have this song they play, where all the guard members change into matching shorts and t-shirts and spin colorful flags for a whole four counts! Really! You should come! Tickets are only $50!"

(Old fan: "And why did they stop doing retreat again?")

Really?

Harumph. Summer marching band for sure.

http://youtu.be/2qxhUBE2_Jc

(some help please. I can't get this to embed. Would someone else try for me? The embed code doesn't seem to work; directions please?)

Edited by garfield

I see. That sounds like it is not DCI competing with the corps, but rather, the corps competing with DCI.

What do you think should be changed with regard to this situation? We cannot make "DCI overhead" go away, or the shows will not even take place. If we stop DCI from selling tickets, we lose the most logical central point-of-sale. Allowing corps to sell tickets in parallel to DCI seems like the best setup to me.

I think there should be an early window of time where corps have exclusive rights to sell seats... as much as they can sell... best seats (in addition to blocks) on a first come first served basis.

Once that window closes, then DCI pushes out the remainder.

This gives a strong incentive for corps to get more aggressively involved in the sales process.... even for shows they are not at!!!

Is this what we can look forward to again this year now that the Seven have programming all to themselves?

I think I'd rather have the smoke machine...

I'm wondering how this kind of programming will increase attendance? It might be fun for fans who are already there to see the show, but I wonder if this, and the other "interactive" parts are enough to attract new attendees?

"No, really! At the end, they have this song they play, where all the guard members change into matching shorts and t-shirts and spin colorful flags for a whole four counts! Really! You should come! Tickets are only $50!"

(Old fan: "And why did they stop doing retreat again?")

Really?

Harumph. Summer marching band for sure.

http://youtu.be/2qxhUBE2_Jc

(some help please. I can't get this to embed. Would someone else try for me? The embed code doesn't seem to work; directions please?)

Man... there were some really rough spots there.

• Like 1

danielray,

I somewhat disagree. I think the best seats should be available on an open market, to those who are most interested, most aggressive, no matter what their "connections." THEY are the customers we want.

Question . . . when DCI tickets are sold as corps blocks, are those tickets, when unsold, placed on sale at a later date, and at disadvantage to those who were excluded from access earlier? I really don't know. I do, however, know the damage caused if such is true.

• Like 4

We're talking about what you're saying here....

This idea of equal distribution of revenue is fantasy. There has never been a case in human history where equal distribution of revenues, regardless of level of contribution, has been sustainable.

I guess he's never heard of us.

Signed,

The National Football League (and without equal distribution of revenue, teams like the Green Bay Packers would no longer exist).

• Like 4

Upon further reflection, I'm kinda warming up to the gee 7 way of thinking. In my life I need to continue to evolve. Therefore I'm going to go buy a much larger house that's way beyond my means economically. Then I think I'll go door-to-door in my new neighborhood and convince my neighbors they should give me some of their money to help me pay my mortgage.

I can't see anything wrong with that business plan.

• Like 2

I guess he's never heard of us.

Signed,

The National Football League (and without equal distribution of revenue, teams like the Green Bay Packers would no longer exist).

This is NOT correct.

The NFL does not re-distribute ticket revenue. It doesn't distribute teamwear revenue. Nor does it distribute concession revenue from the games. All the revenue each team earns... they get to keep.

It DOES distribute TV revenue (because of the vastly differing values of advertising in various TV markets). DCI's TV revenue....um.....

never minddoh.gif

• Like 2

This is NOT correct.

The NFL does not re-distribute ticket revenue. It doesn't distribute teamwear revenue. Nor does it distribute concession revenue from the games. All the revenue each team earns... they get to keep.

It DOES distribute TV revenue (because of the vastly differing values of advertising in various TV markets). DCI's TV revenue....um.....

never minddoh.gif

Oh, gee I didnt see that coming. What, by far, and it isn't even close, is the largest revenue stream for the NFL? Television revenue. It is shared. And even the game ticket revenue is shared. Without it, small market teams would be gone.

Yes you are correct that teams keep their teamwear and hot dog money. And they can also (and do) come up with clever schemes such as seat licensing fees, which the team keeps. These things closely correlate to a drum corps' souvie stand revenue and fundraisers, which the corps keeps.

So I stand by my claim. DCI evenly distributing the money taken in from contests does have a "real world" counterpart, the exceedingly successful NFL. BTW, the NFL doesn't have the problem of the same couple teams repeating as champion over and over and over and over. This is thought to be due to revenue sharing.

DCI could learn a lesson from this. But, DCI, being a consortium of corps, doesn't have the forward thinkers the NFL did when they hired Pete Rosell. Their individual greed (at least "the 7")seems to be getting in the way.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 3