TOC/G7 Related Discussion

It is mostly you saying that. And if it becomes true one day, then the differentiation will go away. In the meantime, it appears that the member corps prefer to make that distinction - otherwise, DCI would have changed its name and marketing terminology long ago.

The member experience is vastly different.

The on-field product is largely the same.

So does drum corps refer to the product or the experience?

Anyway your contention that it's mostly MikeD saying that is not accurate. Pretty much any first-time spectator would fail to see the difference between marching band and drum corps. Sure there are informed fans who know the difference, but the vast majority of the US does not (and doesn't really care).

FWIW I don't think WW's are practical for a summer tour (for a number of reasons). But the differentiation you're hanging on to (in the product at least) is already gone.

Color Guards do not guard the colors, and there is a lot more to percussion than drums, and horns have not been bugles for decades. I don't care what they'd call it.

I am a fan of DCI and DCA; I only see such a thing happening if the powers-that-be thought it necessary to the survival of the activity. Until then, it is just an academic exercise.

if I were King of the Forest, I would create a distinct 'anything goes' division, where any instrumentation and any size ensemble is permitted to compete.

funny thing is...the more change thats pushed for, the more we see things get worse.

• Like 1

You're probably right, DCI won't set up a separate division to be any-instrumentation, but my hunch is that the Seven will push to be able to do so in the TOC division because at least one of them has been pushing that direction for over a decade.

And 200+ members.

waiting for the proposals that allow flames, ritual sacrifices, animals....

• Like 1

Again, thinking back to the days when we marched, was there dissonance between marching band and drum corps? Was drum corps trying to "court" marching band directors? I contend the answer is "No" they weren't, because most band directors didn't want their kids to become enamored with drum corps even while many (mine included) took busloads of kids to see shows.

The point is this question: Is it imperative that drum corps "court" HS band directors and/or be at all concerned about what band directors think of what drum corps is doing? If drum corps focuses on being a different step above HS band, and it's worthwhile in itself TO THE KIDS MARCHING, they will come because their kids will ask them to come.

Your analogy is similar to the Seven's belief that they must look, smell, and feel like band in order to attract kids and, therefor, drum corps must court the band directors in order to get kids to tryouts. I disagree with the premise entirely.

Band directors have no power to dictate to kids what they can and can't do during their summer. If drum corps focuses on being different, and better/more challenging/"a step up" from HS band, it will attract the kids.

Drum corps doesn't need to appeal to band directors, as the Seven contend. They need to appeal to kids.

I think it depends on the area G. When Westshore was up and running, many of the members went back towork with bands as competition exploded around here. Many of those staff recruited kids to march, and several went on to DCI, well into the 90's and even today some programs around here send tons of kids to DCI and DCA. Honestly, without that connection, the corps would have died much sooner.

sounds like the props and effects for BD 2013!

well, they wanted to sacrifice virgins, but....

:tongue:/>

Wow! I had no idea - no idea the state of affairs was that malignant. I mean, who's going to know? Who's going to know whether that "thunderous goo" is a bass clarinet or regular kind? Or care?

HH

I've wondered this..... You could easily take a clarinet sample and mess with it a but and have a pad named goodman's dreams. How many judges would know? How many judges know if I am using a synth or sampler? They also forbid loops, but all samples and most synths are sample based and depend on loops.

Send to me when you allow this level of ambiguity, what are some flutes and saxes going to hurt????

The member experience is vastly different.

The on-field product is largely the same.

So does drum corps refer to the product or the experience?

Makes no difference, as you admit both the product and the experience are different.

Anyway your contention that it's mostly MikeD saying that is not accurate. Pretty much any first-time spectator would fail to see the difference between marching band and drum corps. Sure there are informed fans who know the difference, but the vast majority of the US does not (and doesn't really care).

But since most first time viewers are not posting here, my statement about who says "band = corps" here remains true.

The inability of first time spectators to recognize these distinctions is not unique to the marching arts. I still do not know which NASCAR division threw car parts into the stands Saturday at Daytona, and which had Danica Patrick as lead qualifier on the same track the next day. But I am not a NASCAR fan. Those who are know the difference.

FWIW I don't think WW's are practical for a summer tour (for a number of reasons). But the differentiation you're hanging on to (in the product at least) is already gone.

It is the DCI voting representatives who are, in your words, "hanging on" to that differentiation. I have no say in the matter.

...The inability of first time spectators to recognize these distinctions is not unique to the marching arts. I still do not know which NASCAR division threw car parts into the stands Saturday at Daytona, and which had Danica Patrick as lead qualifier on the same track the next day. But I am not a NASCAR fan. Those who are know the difference...

You're right. It's not unique to the marching arts. The difference is that while most of us would agree it's all NASCAR, many in our niche still get hung up on whether it's all marching band (it is).

I doubt you'd hear even the most passionate voices at NASCAR disputing that it's auto racing they're doing. We're less inclusive at drum corps. The other word for it elitist. Another would be snobby.

HH

But since most first time viewers are not posting here, my statement about who says "band = corps" here remains true.

There are posters here besides me who say it's all marching band, which is the point of this exchange. Not sure why you think it is just me.