TOC/G7 Related Discussion

That's exactly it, Slingerland.

We are paying to watch a few designers satisfy their needs, not OUR needs. These employees need to be brought under control. They need to be told they create a product to appeal to OTHERS. That's all.

No one invests in anything unless THEY gain a profit on their investment. Where is the profit in what we provide right now? There might well be some profit, but it's certainly NOT enough to attract anyone. And, about that whole idea of "tax deductible appeal," is this the same limited logic that believes carrying a home mortgage (for the tax deduction) makes any real sense?

• Like 1

If there's growth, there's gross. If thrift is enforced there will be profits to share in return for initial funding to start the growth.

Those who think the only investment return potential in DCI is from deductions for charitable contributions or losses on the balance sheet are thinking way too narrowly, IMO. Going after "sponsorship" funding is what happens after the investor(s) increase the eyeballs. Show a return, in top-line revenue or from loss deductions, and DCI will attract attention with checkbooks. Sponsors wanting a piece of those new eyeballs will follow naturally.

That's exactly it, Slingerland.

We are paying to watch a few designers satisfy their needs, not OUR needs. These employees need to be brought under control. They need to be told they create a product to appeal to OTHERS. That's all.

No one invests in anything unless THEY gain a profit on their investment. Where is the profit in what we provide right now? There might well be some profit, but it's certainly NOT enough to attract anyone. And, about that whole idea of "tax deductible appeal," is this the same limited logic that believes carrying a home mortgage (for the tax deduction) makes any real sense?

I agree with you that it should be about the fans, but when people get competitive, it becomes about the hardware instead of the fans. The Fan Network trophy isn't the same as the DCI trophy. As much as I would rather see corps perform for the fans, which is why I did it, we'll keep seeing the designers win. That's not to say that a show can't be competitive and great for the audience, but usually one comes at the expense of the other. See Blue Devils 2012 versus Jersey Surf 2012 as an example. One sacrificed competitive placement for audience reaction, the other went for super-clean, and got a more muted reaction.

You need to go visit a mall. When I drove past one on Saturday, the parking lot was jammed full and I said to my wife: "A lot of people shopping in this bad economy". They're not shopping (just look at retailer's numbers) but they ARE at the mall. Why? Because THAT was a key part of Johnson's plan - the experience. The mall operators have the correct mix of solutions that make that work - food, cheap, relatively safe, lots of other kids welcome, etc.

DCI could be a pretty good mall operator with some redirection.

Unless you are referring to DCI owning a mall as some sort of unrelated business income (which might not be a bad idea), with a mall 'DCI' experience as a performance model we would thus have a DCI in which during performances even more people would be talking loudly, getting up, walking around, socializing, an bothering those of us who want to enjoy the music, marching, and performance. No thanks; they can go to the mall for that.

DCI is like New Coke. The owners and marketers decided they knew what the consumer wanted. They made it all the way to day 78. Whereupon they couldn't withstand the bad publicity and widespread consumer revolt anymore, then sheepishly went back to "Coke Classic."

Lesson: Consumers like what they like. Period. You're not going to change that, especially when they have choices. Possibly the single best thing DCI has going for it is there is no other choice if you want to watch drum and bugle corps. In this case, I can't "switch to Pepsi." I either drink the New Coke or stop drinking cola altogether.

• Like 1

... Possibly the single best thing DCI has going for it is there is no other choice if you want to watch drum and bugle corps.

You better run and hide; once the DCA crew reads this you are going to be toast!!!

Which is why changing the current BOD structure is the first priority. Too limiting and self-defeating.

Dan....the current BOD has to vote on changing it.....I mean come on. That's like asking Congress to deny themselves a perk.

• Like 2

Tell those kids to shut up and sit down. Then make a pitch that shows how they BENEFIT from giving up control.

Like rock, paper, scissors - dollars signs beats narcissism almost every time.

Those on whom that's not true can go start their own summer band circuit. When they come back (if they survive) the model that they can't beat will be in place in DCI.

I agree it needs changed. But given the scheming of the last 3 years, I don't see it happening. Too many of them are self proclaimed geniuses

Guys, gals . . .

danielray, garfield, stu, Sling, Jeff, Brasso, and so many others.

To what extent are you willing to admit (as I believe) most current DCI corps programs are simply duds? Duds, to the extent they are of much too limited appeal. Duds, meaning they could use more "spark." Duds, likely to generate smaller crowds than we need. Yes, the shows are perfectly executed. Don't start on that.

Let's cut right to the core. We need more people to "buy-in." Can these productions, as they now are, do that? I say, no.

Fred,

When haven't I been #####ing about current show design trends?

Several years ago I attended a clinic where Cesario spoke to this. Some of it was trotted out last year in the need to change the sheets and engage the fans. it's too much about stroking egos in design. I know people on here mock Scott Stewart, but maybe DCI should have followed his vision in the 90's opposed to the direction they went

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

Dan....the current BOD has to vote on changing it.....I mean come on. That's like asking Congress to deny themselves a perk.

Jeff: If you do some research, and go back trough older DCP threads, you will discover that the D-Ray really does not care to adhere to things like The Constitution or Bylaws; in fact he makes light of them. To him The Constitution and Bylaws are merely theoretical pliable silly putty.