Blue Devils Announce Show

However, there is no way that one can honestly compare their recent trend of shows like 2007, 2008, 2010, and 2012 to any show of theirs from 1997 or earlier and say that they are even remotely similar. For me, I feel the trend for their "strange" shows (again there have been years that are exceptions) started in 1998 - the West Side Story/Romeo and Juliet show.

IMHO, instead of sticking to the style that they themselves created, had so much success with, and made many people become fans of theirs, the design team now would rather show everyone how clever they can be.

For me, I like that the BD are not afraid to do different things and not repeat the same thing over and over. As for success...the years you note above they have 3 firsts and 1 second...so I would say they have had a lot of success with these shows too, as much as ever.

• Like 1

For me, I like that the BD are not afraid to do different things and not repeat the same thing over and over. As for success...the years you note above they have 3 firsts and 1 second...so I would say they have had a lot of success with these shows too, as much as ever.

I didn't say that they didn't have success with these years listed above - obviously they did. What I said was in response to a poster saying (paraphrasing) that these shows had jazz in them, just like their old shows. I was pointing out that while the strange cerebral style that BD is employing as of late (see shows mentioned above) has elements of jazz in it, but in no way can it be compared to the style that their shows had from about 1997 and before.

As someone who used to be the biggest BD fan, for me it's not about the rings for them. I would gladly see them come in 12th (or below) every year if they would stick to the style that made them successful and popular with the fans in the first place.

blink.gif/>

A gross mis-characterization and unfair in every respect. Challenging someone when they use hurtful language (not that you did) when describing the work of a remarkable corps and their staff (including any corps) will never be defined by me as "insulting". And although in my early years of 08-09, I was PM'd and counseled a few times by veteran BD DCPer's telling me to "let it go, it's what they do on here when BD is discussed", I am quite sure that I have always tried to be respectful of other opinions (including yours). That wasn't necessary Jeff.

well Plan, love ya ( most days) but you've thrown your share out there...well past your early days. It's ok though. like I said we love you most days

:tongue:/>

The question of mass approval and getting the crowds on their feet can be answered in a point I have previously made involving 2010. As the season wore on, the crowd was emotionally behind Bluecoats in their march towards finals (more, IMO, then they were towards the Cavaliers). But when the Bluecoats faded slightly at Indy, the crowd shifted dramatically to the Cavies, IMO, as if to say "the Cavies are now the guys that have the best shot at unhinging the Devs and we're going to pull them across the finish line" like we did PR. That has, again IMO, as much to do with mass approval and reaction than the crowd's being entertained or reaction to BD's show and performance on it's face. Some will suggest all of that ABBD stuff is minor, I will suggest that it is substantial and has a momentum of it's own. In short, despite what's said on DCP, the Devs will not enjoy the level of fan reaction that other top contenders enjoy until they drop out of the top three for several years and several other corps are champions. If you choose not to call that ABBD, call it "spreading the wealth" or "we're sick of here we go again".

NOTE: BTW, I wish the outcome in 08 would have been different, but PR was off the charts good and deserved it.

hi Plan,

I was there in 2010. I've never seen people get up to leave...leave...when the champion was coming on in any finals I've gone to....until 2010.

• Like 1

hi Plan,

I was there in 2010. I've never seen people get up to leave...leave...when the champion was coming on in any finals I've gone to....until 2010.

We (the audience) were tired and wired. We left early to party. Cut us some slack please.

• Like 1

I am so glad they are looking forward and not behind. I thought 86 was enough to do COS. Then when they did it another time in 02 I didn't like it. I love the cerebral style they have embarked on. I'm sure some other corps will do Latin Jazz over and over to keep everyone happy but for me I like the visionary style they do now. i loved the out jazz and the dada and I am very glad that someone is really taking it on. Even more glad it's BD doing it!

• Like 1

well Plan, love ya ( most days) but you've thrown your share out there...well past your early days. It's ok though. like I said we love you most days

tongue.gif/>

rolleyes.gif

I'm not a professional musician with advanced education, and I'm tone deaf and I felt the same way about both of those BD shows. If people would stop #####ing about what the show isn't and just watch it for what it is they would really be amazed at what that corps did those two years.

This.

• Like 1

Wait a sec. I didn't say the Cadets were the best (they weren't) or that the X-mas show was the greatest (it wasn't). I said only that the program hung together better than most (which it did).

HH

What does that even mean?