Blue Devils Announce Show

An old point of contention between us Jeff.....I'm not sure you have license to use "many" here. Use "some" for sure....but "not appealing to many" is a leap at best and utterly unprovable. Then once you have your group of the "displeased" then you need to parse out the homers, the ABBDer's and haters (or disliker's). Who is able to do that? No one on these boards. Suffice to say that we understand you are one of the "I don't hate BD...I just can't stand what they're doing recently" crowd. And I, for one, believe that none of those other things impacts you. But, by extension, including an army of exactly like-minded fans to bolster your position, doesn't wash.

Another Jeff interjecting here...

"Not appealing to many" is as provable as "not appealing to some". We'll never get exact numbers, so I don't think we need to quantify the level of displeasure with BD.

I absolute don't hate BD either, I just wish that they'd do something different and win with that.

An old point of contention between us Jeff.....I'm not sure you have license to use "many" here. Use "some" for sure....but "not appealing to many" is a leap at best and utterly unprovable. Then once you have your group of the "displeased" then you need to parse out the homers, the ABBDer's and haters (or disliker's). Who is able to do that? No one on these boards. Suffice to say that we understand you are one of the "I don't hate BD...I just can't stand what they're doing recently" crowd. And I, for one, believe that none of those other things impacts you. But, by extension, including an army of exactly like-minded fans to bolster your position, doesn't wash.

PLan old boy.....using many is not a stretch by any means. I mean it's been a beaten horse for what 5 years now? yes you have ABBDers, though not as many as you think. far often the blue kool aiders lump in MANY people who loved BD for years that just do not like the show into the hater category. Look at reactions around the country. It's not nearly as ABBD as you think. hell people are still trying to pin the reaction for Phantoms win in 08 solely on ABBD. It was some ABBD yes, but an overwhelming majority was because....gasp...a show beloved by MANY won. A show that reached people on all levels. Easily the most popular championship production in the last decade.

sorry to kill your conclusion, but there's MANY more instances of proof for the view I gave than yours. But then again, anyoen that doesnt like BD has been insulted by you in various ways over the years

It's not nearly as ABBD as you think. hell people are still trying to pin the reaction for Phantoms win in 08 solely on ABBD. It was some ABBD yes, but an overwhelming majority was because....gasp...a show beloved by MANY won. A show that reached people on all levels. Easily the most popular championship production in the last decade.

Wasn't the crowd also reacting to the fact that Phantom had won a DCI Championship (not like the tie they had) for the first time in their history?

• Like 1

I am never shy about saying what I like and do not like. Personally I did not like 02, 05, 06 and was meh about 03. Other than that I really like what BD has done lately. So I can understand some of the opinions. Personally I loved 10 and 12 and disliked 11. i thought the whole Bacharach thing was a total sell out.

I am never shy about saying what I like and do not like. Personally I did not like 02, 05, 06 and was meh about 03. Other than that I really like what BD has done lately. So I can understand some of the opinions. Personally I loved 10 and 12 and disliked 11. i thought the whole Bacharach thing was a total sell out.

It's funny... because I really enjoy all those shows you listed that you did not like... except for 2005... and the only thing I didn't like was the narration. Yowza! They played some great music that year. And 03 I really love.

And I don't get the hate for 02. There is a lot of hate for that year in general... but I actually enjoy that show quite a bit. Not their best offering for sure... but I was entertained.

We are obviously just entertained by different things. I just wish they could figure out how to program shows to entertain everyone. And entertain the masses. Because they are not reaching the masses right now.

And you blue kool aid peeps need to come out of denial with this one. They are not appealing to the masses anymore. Maybe it's really a regional thing. Just regional tastes.. you west coast kool kids sure do have your own tastes... but the majority of drum corps happens east of the Rockies.

But still.. I'd say there is a difference in crowd reaction between SCV and BD in west coast shows.

Wasn't the crowd also reacting to the fact that Phantom had won a DCI Championship (not like the tie they had) for the first time in their history?

That's why I was jumping around the stadium and high-fiving random fans. Phantom won that crowd over. And they have been SO CLOSE so many times to finally winning that championship.. then 96 happened.. and it wasn't quite right.

Now was it a little sweeter that they won over BD? SURE! But I would say a VERY small minority were negative feelings towards BD. I'd even go to say that show had mass appeal.. probably the last show that did. The show just got stale for me. Having seen it numerous times over the summer. As many times as Phantom. In fact... I wasn't a fan of the mess that was Spartacus at San Antonio. And BD was probably my favorite show of that night.

• Like 1

It's funny... because I really enjoy all those shows you listed that you did not like... except for 2005... and the only thing I didn't like was the narration. Yowza! They played some great music that year. And 03 I really love.

And I don't get the hate for 02. There is a lot of hate for that year in general... but I actually enjoy that show quite a bit. Not their best offering for sure... but I was entertained.

We are obviously just entertained by different things. I just wish they could figure out how to program shows to entertain everyone. And entertain the masses. Because they are not reaching the masses right now.

And you blue kool aid peeps need to come out of denial with this one. They are not appealing to the masses anymore. Maybe it's really a regional thing. Just regional tastes.. you west coast kool kids sure do have your own tastes... but the majority of drum corps happens east of the Rockies.

But still.. I'd say there is a difference in crowd reaction between SCV and BD in west coast shows.

TOTALLY agree here. Carry on. :ph34r:

• Like 1

possible. it's always cool to see history

PLan old boy.....using many is not a stretch by any means. I mean it's been a beaten horse for what 5 years now? yes you have ABBDers, though not as many as you think. far often the blue kool aiders lump in MANY people who loved BD for years that just do not like the show into the hater category. Look at reactions around the country. It's not nearly as ABBD as you think. hell people are still trying to pin the reaction for Phantoms win in 08 solely on ABBD. It was some ABBD yes, but an overwhelming majority was because....gasp...a show beloved by MANY won. A show that reached people on all levels. Easily the most popular championship production in the last decade.

sorry to kill your conclusion, but there's MANY more instances of proof for the view I gave than yours. But then again, anyoen that doesnt like BD has been insulted by you in various ways over the years

:blink:/>

A gross mis-characterization and unfair in every respect. Challenging someone when they use hurtful language (not that you did) when describing the work of a remarkable corps and their staff (including any corps) will never be defined by me as "insulting". And although in my early years of 08-09, I was PM'd and counseled a few times by veteran BD DCPer's telling me to "let it go, it's what they do on here when BD is discussed", I am quite sure that I have always tried to be respectful of other opinions (including yours). That wasn't necessary Jeff.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1