Best Preshows?

It seems like preshows have really started to come into play with shows recently, what are some of your favorites? I think some really set up the shows quite well.

Mine:

Call it cheesy if you may, but considering the show theme, I think Crown's 2011 "We Will Rock You" drum feature before the show was pretty awesome, and of course they made for a perfect build up to the "Bohemian Rhapsody" hit.

Vanguard's 2012 "Jupiter" build up to the hit right after their announcement was timed perfectly, awesome moment in 2012.

Boston's 2010 - 2012 shows all had great preshows to set the mood in my opinion, especially 2011s "Do you Hear the People Sing" and 2012's "Pines of the Appian Way" (probably my second favorite pre-show).

My favorite pre-show antics have got to be from Phantom 2008, the minute they stepped on the field, the whole production came to life up to the second they left the field.

What are yours?

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

For me I must say since Crowns "The Grass is always Greener" they have created some great pre-shows since then. Before that I didn't notice it that much. Also Phantom Regiment "Spartacus" had a great Pre-show. It was more acting and setting up the theme of the show thou but was good.

• Like 2

Phantom Regiment 1977.

I recall seeing Phantom Regiment live that year in Boston and people who attended DCI East the previous night mentioned that Phantom had a :"warm up" that was its own mini-show for those who did not buy tickets for "concert side seating. Now this would have been the days when warm ups were "How loud can you get" (I miss warm ups). A corps could not face the front and move without the start gun going off and incurring a penalty. Phantom warmed up to Leroy Anderson's "Phantom Regiment" and it was its own little show but since they faced backfield, they could move without a penalty. So I ran to the backfield seating to see the warm up, which was a preshow and ran back to my seat to see the actual show.

• Like 4

Cavies 2010- Mad World

The pre show set the mood for the entire show. Loved the mix of recorded and live. It's one of my favorite moments from 2010. Well thought out by the staff and great performance by the men.

• Like 4

Phantom Regiment 1977.

I recall seeing Phantom Regiment live that year in Boston and people who attended DCI East the previous night mentioned that Phantom had a :"warm up" that was its own mini-show for those who did not buy tickets for "concert side seating. Now this would have been the days when warm ups were "How loud can you get" (I miss warm ups). A corps could not face the front and move without the start gun going off and incurring a penalty. Phantom warmed up to Leroy Anderson's "Phantom Regiment" and it was its own little show but since they faced backfield, they could move without a penalty. So I ran to the backfield seating to see the warm up, which was a preshow and ran back to my seat to see the actual show.

I remember Phantom's pre-shows. They did one for a number of years. There are a couple of videos on YouTube showing their pre-shows from '78 and '79.

Bluecoats , "Creep" 2011

Phantom Regiment, "Into to the Light", 2010

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See "Tim K's" reply - 11:40 PM (#5). Some warm-ups of yesteryear were "pre-shows" in their own right. But modern pre-shows get washed into the overall fabric of the show. Not really sure why many would be considered "pre-shows". Perhaps the broader question is whether or not present-day corps are taking full advantage of the pre-show rule change of a few years ago. The original proposal for pre-shows would have allowed for instrumentation and electronics of any kind. I'd say this part of the "show" hasn't fully evolved yet.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2