What will help DCI become more entertaining

I can't see drum corps being more entertaining than it is now by changing the judging. It will probably get more entertaining as time goes on, but that will be because of improved performance levels and show design, aided perhaps by minor tweaks of the judging. Maybe visual is too strongly represented because the music judges take the difficulty of the visuals 'into consideration' which gives the visual aspect greater weight. Fine. Tweaks. Sure.

But in any event, drum corps is very entertaining. If you watched the top five corps of 2011 you saw:

Phantom Regiment: Juliet

Carolina Crown: Rockstar

Cavaliers: XtraordinarY

Blue Devils: The Beat My Heart Skipped

Cadets: Between Angels and Demons

And you want it to be more entertaining???!!!

I admire that. I really do. But that night you basically got an incredibly varied, exciting night of entertainment (and endless replays in 1080p). Granted, that was an 'up' year (here's hoping 2013 is another one). And I only listed the top corps. But I think overall, things are pretty ... good ... aren't they ... ?

• Like 2

Less unpopular champions. Having shows that use actual drill, staging, and focus. Not having 4 out of 5 visual judges give a corps with limited mass appeal perfect scores.

Less unpopular champions? Have you seen the thread about when the last time the champion was the most popular show? I'd say we're in the era of popular champions.

And how would less WGI mean a shift in visual scores? It'd be the same people designing! They know how to design; that's why they're at the best corps (and vice versa).

I think what you meant to complain about was the weight that visual has in the scores. Yeah, I'd like heavier weight on music as well. Maybe an actual pit judge for finals? That'd move some people around for sure!

• Like 1

Here we go....wait for it...... G Bugles! :bleah:/> :bleah:/>

• Like 1

Here we go....wait for it...... G Bugles! :bleah:/>/>/> :bleah:/>/>/>

Saxophones and Flutes ! ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Less unpopular champions? Have you seen the thread about when the last time the champion was the most popular show? I'd say we're in the era of popular champions.

And how would less WGI mean a shift in visual scores? It'd be the same people designing! They know how to design; that's why they're at the best corps (and vice versa).

I think what you meant to complain about was the weight that visual has in the scores. Yeah, I'd like heavier weight on music as well. Maybe an actual pit judge for finals? That'd move some people around for sure!

Have to disagree with a few things. If the elements which are rewarded are changed because you have judges that understand drill and focus the designers will change as well. You are actually making my point that the recent champions for the most part are not what the crowd thinks is entertaining. I agree more music emphasis is a move in the right direction.

Things either need to come around to things the audience can support or we are destined to have many more mirrors and coat rack horses.

• Like 1

Have to disagree with a few things. If the elements which are rewarded are changed because you have judges that understand drill and focus the designers will change as well. You are actually making my point that the recent champions for the most part are not what the crowd thinks is entertaining. I agree more music emphasis is a move in the right direction.

Things either need to come around to things the audience can support or we are destined to have many more mirrors and coat rack horses.

What do you mean I'm making your point? I pointed out a lot of shows that are favorites from the last couple years that are the champions.

And I recall a TON of people LOVING BD this past season. Just because you might not have enjoyed it doesn't mean a majority didn't like it. In fact, the only people I found who didn't like it is the dinos, and they're the vast minority.

• Like 2

What do you mean I'm making your point? I pointed out a lot of shows that are favorites from the last couple years that are the champions.

And I recall a TON of people LOVING BD this past season. Just because you might not have enjoyed it doesn't mean a majority didn't like it. In fact, the only people I found who didn't like it is the dinos, and they're the vast minority.

If golf claps or people sitting on thier hands is the goal then I guess it is on the right track. The Cadets a couple of years ago did seem to have the crowd appeal. Last year the champion was not wonderful. No one else was better than Blue devils but if that is a few tenths short of a perfect visual show....

• Like 1

Music first, always. Marching second. The better you march though, the better you can play, but you must put music first. Let the drill enhance the sound, rather than hinder it. And let the guard just go! Let them run, dance and leap! Give them no restrictions, let them entertain and be a spotlight once again.:cool:

• Like 2

Music first, always. Marching second. The better you march though, the better you can play, but you must put music first. Let the drill enhance the sound, rather than hinder it. And let the guard just go! Let them run, dance and leap! Give them no restrictions, let them entertain and be a spotlight once again.:cool:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1